Thanks RT

Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Q View Post
I'm looking for a Dealer on the upper East coast there are two in Florida.
Ask me any questions you have on Noflex.
Tuesday i will register on site as a commercial interest but i'm also a boater and my tanks used to stink too.

Welcome. It's Dave, yes? Anyway, useful to see you here.

A thought: USPS flat rate mail.

Not actually sure that's a perfect panacea, but does seem like it might sometimes be a viable option compared to UPS or FedEx. We know of folks who ship bazillions of pounds of lead in those flat rate boxes, for not very much money (in the grand scheme of things).

-Chris

Old 05-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #23

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
Weather has finally gotten bearable on our side can't wait to get out its been a nasty winter. Plus have has a series of small things with the boat that has put us on hold.

Going to try in 2 weeks
I make the Noflex and I know the freight is a killer also I know a lot of people are using it in the Chesapeake area even with their septic fields But I have yet to find a dealer in your area that wants to take it on (no West marine) Things are tight
Old 05-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #24
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueYonder View Post
According to the MSDS, Noflex Digester looks to be very similar to Oxyclean. I wonder if we have any chemists that might take a look. A tub of Oxyclean is quite a bit cheaper.
I have the same question. I have also reviewed NoFlex and Oxyclean MSDS and found about 80% +/- of ingredients are common.
I believe the claim behind NoFlex is that it oxygenates and helps support aerobic bacteria - the non-smelly variety.
The common holding tank problem (per Peggy) is insufficient oxygen and therefore growth of anaerobic bacteria - the smelly variety

I have tried Oxyclean but only as a once-in-awhile addition not as a daily treatment the per NOFlex instructions.
I plan experimenting with it as a daily treatment but wonder if the chemists have any thoughts +/- ??
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #25

Yes but No about 30 % and of that 30% is only in the same family but the rest in oxyclean are fillers and things specific to washing laundry .If you want a honking good laundry i have a special one that most of the ships on the great lakes use that doesn't foam when discharged 1 litre does 80 loads .
I have advised for most of the Cruise ships,many a Navy s,Shell, Pertronas a longer list--- about treatment systems and other systems.
Problem with the holding tanks is not so simple. Cost of a bottle of Noflex is $19,95 US (suggested) One bottle usually lasts a year(30 foot boat) you don't have to use it every day. I say that so in the worst case it fixes the problem after people get use to using they just use it when they need it and never measure-- It works, its cheap, and you fix the smell and empty your tank every pump out saving even more money
Send me a message if you need more info. I always have time answering questions
Old 05-05-2015, 11:33 PM   #26
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Sea Q does it ship regular ground or is it haz mat?
I sent you a PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:36 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
One bottle usually lasts a year(30 foot boat) you don't have to use it every day. I say that so in the worst case it fixes the problem after people get use to using they just use it when they need it and never measure-- It works, its cheap, and you fix the smell and empty your tank every pump out saving even more money

We went through almost 3 bottles last season; 42' boat and we're on it a lot. But that was more of an experiment than anything else; in the past, we've always used KO, and never had head odors to deal with anyway.

Some of our club members started raving about your Noflex, so I thought I'd give it a go just to see. Seems to work fine enough. Would be interested to hear a compare/contrast with the method in which KO and Odorlos work? Mostly for academic interest...

One thing I've been surprised about is the number of fans who've raved about how clean their tanks and lines are after using Noflex (could be) but when asked if they opened up their system to look inside, the answer is no, just that their odor problems went away. Makes me wonder what kinds of odors they've been living with all that time in the first place... Or whether their odor problems actually stem more from loose fittings...

Quote:
I make the Noflex and I know the freight is a killer also I know a lot of people are using it in the Chesapeake area even with their septic fields But I have yet to find a dealer in your area that wants to take it on (no West marine) Things are tight

You might try pulsing Fawcett's in Annapolis.

-Chris
Old 05-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #28

City: WHIDBEY ISLAND WA
Vessel Name: WARLOCK
Vessel Model: 1981 ISLAND GYPSY 32
I think I've located the head odor. The hoses in the cabinet under the head sink are old and it's not possible to get to them. Can I run something like Raritan through the hoses to make the situation better?
JILLBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #29
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Probably not. Once the hoses get saturated the best cure is to replace them.

The other option is to wrap them in saran wrap. I've never tried this but some folks say it works.

If you've got long straight runs of hose, replace them with PVC pipe. Be sure the pipe is well secured to prevent flexing. Use Trident 101 or 102 or Raritan Sani Flex hose for any curved sections.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JILLBROWN View Post
I think I've located the head odor. The hoses in the cabinet under the head sink are old and it's not possible to get to them. Can I run something like Raritan through the hoses to make the situation better?

I'd guess Parks is probably right, but if you've got a P-trap in there... letting some Raritan CP stand in the trap could conceivably give you some improvement. Or perhaps some of the Noflex stuff. Probably after using a plunger on it, and rinsing a lot with fresh water.

If you could get your hands on that hose, there's a way to sorta test for permeation. Hot/wet rag, wipe the outside of the hose vigorously, if the rag smells like stink afterwards... you've got a hose job ahead of you.

But if not... might just be hair and soap and goop in the trap. Not uncommon.

-Chris
Old 05-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Sea Q does it ship regular ground or is it haz mat?
I sent you a PM.
Regular ground i have done air but its a big hassle to do it properly (legally)
Old 05-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We went through almost 3 bottles last season; 42' boat and we're on it a lot. But that was more of an experiment than anything else; in the past, we've always used KO, and never had head odors to deal with anyway.

Some of our club members started raving about your Noflex, so I thought I'd give it a go just to see. Seems to work fine enough. Would be interested to hear a compare/contrast with the method in which KO and Odorlos work? Mostly for academic interest...

One thing I've been surprised about is the number of fans who've raved about how clean their tanks and lines are after using Noflex (could be) but when asked if they opened up their system to look inside, the answer is no, just that their odor problems went away. Makes me wonder what kinds of odors they've been living with all that time in the first place... Or whether their odor problems actually stem more from loose fittings...

You might try pulsing Fawcett's in Annapolis.

-Chris
Sorry I have been down for the count Got to love kids bring every bug home with them.

KO and Odorlos basically over load the bugs making the Hydrogen sulfide gas but only on the surface there good products .Noflex does that a different way but also liquefies the waste so you don't have old stuff left that just compounds the problem.
There are lots of reports on the net of people that have fixed hose smells with it and service people opening up systems 10 years old that look like new .A lot talk about how their sensors start working again. One guy i our club bought 2 bottles last week just to clean up the poly tanks in his boat they were 1/2 full and brown he reports they are back to original and he was able to pump out so he couldn't see any in bottom. e mail today from Australia one boater fixed his Rv grey water sensor with it go rid of the smells also

Thanks for the Fawcetts lead
Old 05-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
A lot talk about how their sensors start working again.
e mail today from Australia one boater fixed his Rv grey water sensor with it go rid of the smells also

Yep, one of our owners reported his sensors started working again after being inop since he bought his boat. (I'm thinking his boat is from the years when the sensor probe was mostly plastic and the manufacturer has since replaced that with stainless. If he's still got the plastic one, I'm surprised it started working again.)

OTOH, our probe (the newer stainless version, now) seems to frequently get stuck in various positions these days, starting last season, even with Noflex treatment.

-Chris
Old 05-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
KO and Odorlos basically over load the bugs making the Hydrogen sulfide gas but only on the surface there good products .Noflex does that a different way but also liquefies the waste so you don't have old stuff left that just compounds the problem.

Not sure what "over load the bugs" means?

In any case, some additional thoughts you might like to address:

1) Your label says "Instantly neutralizes hydrogen sulfide odors" but it doesn't really suggest how. Does it also promote aerobic bacteria? Or...?

2) The label also says "Liquifies anaerobic sludge" but as above, doesn't address method. And is it harmful to aerobic bacteria?

Realize you might have some "proprietary info" issues with that kind of question, but at the same time believe your marketing would be more effective if you provided more technical info. Otherwise, it seems like "it's magic" is the message... and nobody expects magic with a holding tank.

3) For how long is the product active? Minutes? Hours? Even after it dissolves? In our case, with an electric macerating head, introducing Noflex into the bowl and then flushing that load into holding tank -- if I do it before the granules dissolve -- sounds like running sand through our macerator. Seems to me potentially damaging, so I've been letting the granules dissolve in the bowl for a while before eventually flushing. Is the stuff still working, at that point? Or have I only treated the bowl, not the holding tank?

-Chris
Old 05-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Not sure what "over load the bugs" means?

In any case, some additional thoughts you might like to address:

I have most of this on our web page

1) Your label says "Instantly neutralizes hydrogen sulfide odors" but it doesn't really suggest how. Does it also promote aerobic bacteria? Or...?

It just does
One problem are peoples concept of their holding black water tank.
It's not a treatment system (ITS A HOLDING TANK) it has both anaerobic and aerobic.
If you want to talk about promoting aerobic you need a mechanical aeration treatment system

2) The label also says "Liquifies anaerobic sludge" but as above, doesn't address method. It contains a surfactant to break down the fats and oils that bind allot of the solids together And is it harmful to aerobic bacteria?In a aerobic system it liquidizes the anaerobic bacteria releasing it back into the waste stream for processing by the aerobic bacteria turning the system in to a enhanced colony reducing solids and proteins .

Realize you might have some "proprietary info" issues with that kind of question, but at the same time believe your marketing would be more effective if you provided more technical info. Otherwise, it seems like "it's magic" is the message... and nobody expects magic with a holding tank.

No one but the people that have tried it and know it is magic and one less headache to worry about when they are suppose to having fun on the water

Aerobic bacteria are used in a sewage treatment system to reduce the biological loading (reduce volume of solids)

3) For how long is the product active? Minutes? Hours? Even after it dissolves? It remains active until spent that all depends on the bacterial loading it will lay dormant with out ether one --water or waste In our case, with an electric macerating head, introducing Noflex into the bowl and then flushing that load into holding tank -- if I do it before the granules dissolve -- sounds like running sand through our macerator. Seems to me potentially damaging, so I've been letting the granules dissolve in the bowl for a while before eventually flushing. Is the stuff still working, at that point? Yes i have never had any reports of damage in a grinder pump type (metal Blades) only problem in a manual pump type were it removes the lubrication on the pump rods a Or have I only treated the bowl, not the holding tank?

-Chris
I think i should write up all this on the web page i one place
Most people are just happy it works after buying other products that don't live up to what they are advertised to do. I probably should read Peggy Halls book and see what she said seem alot of people quote it like a bible.
But over all there seems like allot of confusion out there.

If it works sometime better not to worry about it.

I do not recommend using Noflex with any Chlorine treatment systems unless in the larger commercial systems where personal are trained in the function of their treatment system

There was alot here i hope i didn't mix stuff up too much
Old 05-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #36
Guru

Very useful! Especially these parts:
2) The label also says "Liquifies anaerobic sludge" but as above, doesn't address method. It contains a surfactant to break down the fats and oils that bind allot of the solids together And is it harmful to aerobic bacteria?In a aerobic system it liquidizes the anaerobic bacteria releasing it back into the waste stream for processing by the aerobic bacteria turning the system in to a enhanced colony reducing solids and proteins .

3) For how long is the product active? Minutes? Hours? Even after it dissolves? It remains active until spent that all depends on the bacterial loading it will lay dormant with out ether one --water or waste In our case, with an electric macerating head, introducing Noflex into the bowl and then flushing that load into holding tank -- if I do it before the granules dissolve -- sounds like running sand through our macerator. Seems to me potentially damaging, so I've been letting the granules dissolve in the bowl for a while before eventually flushing. Is the stuff still working, at that point? Yes i have never had any reports of damage in a grinder pump type (metal Blades) only problem in a manual pump type were it removes the lubrication on the pump rods a Or have I only treated the bowl, not the holding tank?
Didn't realize somebody in the business might not be familiar with Peggie's book. I know she and her husband were working on the idea of promoting aerobic bacteria -- and contrasting that with septic systems -- in at least the late '80s/early '90s.

In our electric macerating system, I've been mostly concerned about the sidewalls of the chopper housing. I wouldn't expect damage to the blades, but OTOH if the housing is hosed (so to speak) then I wonder if the blades will no longer be able to act as an impeller... maybe...

The parts I underlined would seem very useful for your website; I don't remember seeing that kind of detail before. OTOH, I admit it's been a while since I reviewed your website

-Chris
Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #37
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
I just read through this thread with interest. Placed an order for Noflex, Biotal and Tank-Teria.

I'll give it a try and comment on the results. Thanks TF for the info.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #38
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
After this thread we, too, ordered some Noflex. Have been using it for three weekends, including a 3-day weekend with four adults on the boat. No odors so far. I have been putting in around a teaspoon after we pumpout, then the same amount the following weekend before we leave the dock, and a little sprinkle here and there as we are on the boat. Seems to work better than the Happy Camper we used last season. We have tried the Raritan KO in the past with mixed results, likely becuase we only have one tank vent and the KO needs lots of oxygen. Asside from adding a second vent, Noflex seems to be working well thus far. We will see how it holds up when temps get into the 90s. For what it is worth, the pumpout sight glass looks the same now as it did before, and we still have an issue with our tank monitor, but I wan't expecting it to change those factors.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #39

What size is your holding tank
How old is your ship
How long ago did your sensor stop working
Old 06-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #40
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
2002 with a 30 gal. holding tank. We bought the boat three years ago, and the sensors have never worked right. The green (empty) is always on, and the yellow (low) never comes on. The amber (mid) and red (full) work fine. My guess is that the floats are stuck, but I have yet to muster the courage to remove the unit from the holding tank. We use the boat almost year round, usually with just the two of us, and we pump out after just about every trip (it is free at our marina). We also flush the tank with fresh water at each pumpout.

Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote