Old 09-28-2018, 10:52 PM   #21
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
Us Irish are so tight you can hear our ass squeaking when we walk so here's a cheap and cheerful way to prevent calcium build up in toilet discharge lines is to buy white vinegar, preferably 12% strength and pour 2 litres into the toilet bowl, operate the toilet so the level just goes to the bottom of the bowl and leave overnight.
Treat each toilet once a month to keep the hoses clean and kill any smells in the hose.

Knew it!! As a kid raised as a Swede,(Adopted) to find late in life that I am 100% of Irish descent, had discovered this white vinegar trick sometime back and employed the product and do now, on occasion. However, in addition, I keep a two gallon plastic bucket in the head, containing sea water. I encourage the head with additional water not because the head is not functioning as designed, rather, to increase the amount of flush and reduce the stress of the masarator having to pick up the prime each time from the bottom of the system.
The white vinegar works well! Irish smarts!

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:27 AM   #22
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
I always start out looking at simple cost effective ways to tackle problems. I've seen people spend thousands on overcomplicated systems when there's a simple way to do the job.(Just read on TF about fuel polishing and filters systems).
As you American cousins say K.I.S.S, 'Keep It Simple Stupid' is right on the nail.
I spent a part of my working life pioneering bulk liquid transport storage/filtration/systems and we had to design and build equipment to do the job and as a private business you learn to work smarter rather than harder. I built the first road tanker washing system in Ireland and the 'spinners' we used to clean the interior of the road tankers would get clogged with limescale over time, various company reps tried to sell us very expensive muriatic 'wonder' mixes and being tight fisted remembering my school chemistry taught me the vinegar trick and saved us a fortune.

We also used to transport computers from the Dell factory in Ireland to Sweden, a really beautiful part of the world and lovely people to work with, Irish whiskey is very very expensive up there as you know and we would smuggle a 'few' up with us to help the locals keep warm and happy..
Over time three of our drivers met and married Swedish girls and last I heard they were still very happy together, between the Vikings on the one hand and the roaming Paddy's on the other there's bound to good times.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote