Greywater holding tank integral with steel hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
Are there any issues with making the grey water holding tank a integrally welded tank on a steel hull? There shouldn't be the highly corrosive atmosphere of a blaclkwater tank.

Do you need a grey water tank? I know that in most of the world they are not required.

My grey water tank has been integral to the steel hull since 1963. No problems yet. I did clean, repaint, and replaced the suction line in it last year. The suction line had pitted and a couple of holes in it.

dan

We generally coat the insides, heavy coal tar epoxy or similar.

My grey water tank has been integral to the steel hull since 1963. No problems yet. I did clean, repaint, and replaced the suction line in it last year. The suction line had pitted and a couple of holes in it.

dan

Dan: How big is the tank and how is disposal managed? Holding grey water is a new concept for us.

The Ulysses grey water tank is about 250 gallons and is pumped overboard through one of two pumps that are both fire pump and major bilge pumps depending on what valves I open. I usually hold grey water until I am away from the marinas. It puts out some soap foam at the end of the pump out and is indeed grey. There is a suction side strainer prior to the pump that often collects body hair and such. More so in the past when I had more hair.

dan

Furthermore, Mine is located aft of the fresh water tank (800 gals.) and forward of the fuel tanks (3,000 gals.) so I can and do use it for trim purposes somewhat. As I use fresh water and need to keep the bow down I will let the grey water tank go without pumping for longer periods or at least till I fill the water tank. Adjusting trim with a liquid that can be pumped is somewhat of an advantage IMO.

dan

An integral grey water holding tank is a great idea if you have the option of installing one.

Not only do you not mess up marinas and confined bays, but it offers another layer of protection if that part of the hull is damaged.

It would be worth coating with a good quality protective coating.

An integral grey water holding tank is a great idea if you have the option of installing one.

Not only do you not mess up marinas and confined bays, but it offers another layer of protection if that part of the hull is damaged.

It would be worth coating with a good quality protective coating.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Properly done....few downsides compared to the positives.

The Ulysses grey water tank is about 250 gallons and is pumped overboard through one of two pumps that are both fire pump and major bilge pumps depending on what valves I open....

Thanks. It's nice to have the capacity, something that would be difficult on most 30 or 40 footers.

Back
Top Bottom