Genset muffler and exhaust elbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ralphyost

Vessel Name
Say GoodBye
Vessel Make
21 Mako
Just bought our trawler this summer. I knew one genset exhaust elbow was going to need replacement. Hauled the boat for the winter this week and got into the job then discovered the other genset muffler exhaust elbow also needs replacement. So I pulled the muffler out and took it home.
Here are some pics
http://www.alphacompservices.com/ralph/Boat/GensetMuffler/index.html
( also have a hand drawing showing all the dimensions in the photo album.)

Looking for sources of possible muffler replacement.
I also would like to know if the elbows should turn out easily, or, is that a locking nut on the muffler for each of them. I tried to get the top elbow out but it wouldnt budge !
The top elbow looks to be galvanized 2.25" pupe welded into stainless steel 2" pipe/elbow.
R.

I'm sure those are just pipe thread inserts, but due to time and rust, may be next to impossible to get out. If you go that route, try PB Blaster applied over a period of a few days. The maybe heat.

Then after you get tired of messing with it, skinning your knuckles and cussing the old muffler, you might want to just replace the whole muffler with a fiberglass model. No more rusting, etc.....They are available with almost any combination of inlets and outlets, both configuration and sizes.

Heck, I'm just jealous you have 2 gensets!!!!

"Heck, I'm just jealous you have 2 gensets!!!!"

No I only have ONE genset, an 8kw Kohler which is more than enough.

Yeah I am really leaning towards replacing the entire muffler with a new fiberglass one. It appears that for about $200 or so I can do the whole muffler and fiberglass elbows I need.

Boatfix.com has then but they dont have the 2" coupler I will need, and the 90 deg bend will take up 6" of space, which I will have to carefully examine to see if I have available. The previous muffler input elbow only took up 2.5" of space.

If anyone has suggestions as to where these mufflers and parts can be purchased cheaply I would appreciate it.
thanks
R.

Check out the significant difference in size between the new fiberglass muffler and the old metal muffler:

Attachments

• dscf0002.jpg
    dscf0002.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 134
Unicraft in Bellingham, WA makes a sorts of custom and stock fiberglass muffler systems for boats. They made the new waterlift mufflers for our boat when we had new exhaust systems installed a few years ago. Here's the info: Ph: (360) 734-2285 Fax: (360) 671-9108 Email: admin@unicraftmarineproducts.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom