Garmin GHP-20 Autopilot System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rabend

Does anyone know if the subject system is adequate for a Nordhavn N43?

Thanks

Autopilots are really 3 parts.

The brain , the big switch box that sends power , and usually a pump and motor that moves the hyd fluid to steer the boat.

Superior rod or chain and cable systems are similar , but use a reversing motor and clutch to steer.

The size of the hyd pump (if that is your system) will need to match the boats existing steering gear.

We're using a GHP 10 which is mostly the same thing as the newer GHP 20. We installed the largest pump that Garmin offers. It has no problem controlling our steering to under a couple of feet of cross-track error under all conditions we've put it under. We routinely use it to just steer in many situations. I've come to use it along the ICW in many cases as well. It's the best autopilot I've ever experienced.

Our 53' boat has a displacement of about 80,000 lbs.

I would suggest getting the remote for it - we use that 95% of the time. I'd also get a rudder feedback sensor - we used an N2000 Simrad one. The Garmin autopilot does not require rudder feedback to control the boat so they don't provide one (or didn't when we installed it 2 years ago). I like knowing where my rudder is though. The GHP display will provide rudder feedback position if there is an N2000 sensor on the network.

Raybend, call Garmin, fight the call tree until you get to the technicians. They are very cooperative and from my experience will answer straight up. The GHB 20 has the brain attached to the new brushless motor-pump. The $4k tariff is a killer.
I called and ask if a Com-Nav autopilot would marry to a Garmin Plotter. They said yes, the competitor will work just fine.

Thanks! Your post was very helpful.

We're using a GHP 10 which is mostly the same thing as the newer GHP 20. We installed the largest pump that Garmin offers. It has no problem controlling our steering to under a couple of feet of cross-track error under all conditions we've put it under. We routinely use it to just steer in many situations. I've come to use it along the ICW in many cases as well. It's the best autopilot I've ever experienced.

Our 53' boat has a displacement of about 80,000 lbs.

I would suggest getting the remote for it - we use that 95% of the time. I'd also get a rudder feedback sensor - we used an N2000 Simrad one. The Garmin autopilot does not require rudder feedback to control the boat so they don't provide one (or didn't when we installed it 2 years ago). I like knowing where my rudder is though. The GHP display will provide rudder feedback position if there is an N2000 sensor on the network.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom