Old 01-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
RE: Galley makeover ideas

we've considered a lift idea*but it would be limited by the clearance to the upper cabinet.* Maybe it could be used to at least raise the bottom higher within the space itself when you are trying to get something out of the bottom??
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

This one doesn't require any height above the cabinet.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...21&cat=3,48759
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #43
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Let's start the party!

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

A year and a half later I put a shelf in one of the bottomless pits!

The butcher block counter the PO installed over the old laminate counter is starting to fail rapidly, especially around the sink. I was thinking of ripping it out and relaminating as a short term fix but discovered the PO had removed some of the old coutertop around the sink (that must have rotted as well) so if I have to go the trouble of replacing the underlayment stuff, might as well redo the galley how I want at the same time. We plan to do something similar to what Woodsong did and replace the old stove/oven with a smooth surface range and a convection oven/ microwave. I'd also like to replace the sink but I'm having trouble finding one that will fit that is more than 7" deep. Current one has seen better days since the butcher block was glued on top of it.

Anyone installed copper countertops? I saw some in a house years ago and LOVED them. I've been doing lots of research on them and not 100% convinced I can install them myself. I've seen conflicting info on what to do at seams (should only have one).

Anyway, still in the daydreaming phase so thought I'd bring this old thread back... Max created a tile countertop thread under other systems and I don't want to hijack his thread anymore than I already have...
Attached Thumbnails
2012-08-04 14.54.20.jpg  
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 08-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #45
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Jennifer
What is the size of the sink that you are looking for?
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #46
Guru

City: Pensacola
any issues with Ballast?
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint
Jennifer
What is the size of the sink that you are looking for?
I think it's 21" total wide, 14" back to front and 10" deep. Two bowls. I find the bowls too small and while I can get the identical sink for $600 or $700 from defender, I'm looking for a single bowl w similar dimensions. Also the one at defender is super shiny and I have never seen one (on a boat) hold that shine for long. Another TF member pointed me to a custom sink maker so I'm looking into that.

Planning to do this project in December.
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 08-07-2012, 04:51 AM   #48
FF
Guru

IF I were doing a galley makeover the first thing I would look at is the range location.

If it is against the hull a passing wave has a 50/50 chance of tossing its contents on the cook.

Mounted athwartships the odds are the contents are tossed on the cook are much lower, tho the counters may get a boiling bath every so often.

Our space was too limited , so a gymboled range with fiddles and pot clamps (sail boat style) was the choice.

Pretty is always nice , but SAFE is perhaps better.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

bringing this thread back up since my galley makeover is nearing completion.

Countertops went in yesteday and we drove up to the boat (90 miles) after work to see it!

The corner stroage to the right of the sink is where we are installing a pop up "bar". If we can figure out how to get it to work. The lift mechanism is in place, now to engineer the rest of it!

We hope to finish up this weekend but probably won't have time because we are getting our runabout on Saturday and we have to leave early Sunday to get home for mother's day brunch with the inlaws.
Attached Thumbnails
2013-05-06 19.05.55.jpg   2013-05-06 19.02.38.jpg   2013-05-06 19.02.01.jpg   2013-05-06 19.01.48.jpg  
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 05-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #50
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
WOW!! That looks great! Nice big sink.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

thanks Al a large sink was a priority. Overall it is smaller than the original double bowl but the bowls on the old one were too small to be very practical. So one big bowl won out.
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 05-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #52
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I feel the same way on our boat's double sinks. When we had our kitchen remodeled last month, we went with a large single basin and really appreciate its functionality. If we ever redo the galley, we'll go with the big single basin.

Where's the dishwasher? Under the glass stove top bling?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Al, yep it will go under the stove top. Have to get the sink drain squared away before we can hook it up so it's in the saloon on the floor at the moment.
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 05-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #54
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
bringing this thread back up since my galley makeover is nearing completion.

Countertops went in yesteday and we drove up to the boat (90 miles) after work to see it!

The corner stroage to the right of the sink is where we are installing a pop up "bar". If we can figure out how to get it to work. The lift mechanism is in place, now to engineer the rest of it!

We hope to finish up this weekend but probably won't have time because we are getting our runabout on Saturday and we have to leave early Sunday to get home for mother's day brunch with the inlaws.
Looks very nice! What material did you use for the counter top?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Dave we went with Corian. We orginally had picked out a silestone based on the appearance of it--we really weren't sold on any particular material. I then had a long conversation with a fabricator and he convinced me that Corian was they way to go. I wrote a blog post about it a few weeks ago, countertop considerations afloat. the fabricator who conviced me does not sell Corian but very strongly feels it is the best choice on a boat.
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 05-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #56
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Beautiful! We'll be doing Hobo's counters this fall. This sure gets us thinking about it.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #57
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Some of what I did last spring on the old boat. The material was 3/4 granite from clearence center.

The first shot is fabricating, second the final product.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0274.jpg   IMG_0081.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #58

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
we've considered a lift idea*but it would be limited by the clearance to the upper cabinet.* Maybe it could be used to at least raise the bottom higher within the space itself when you are trying to get something out of the bottom??
If the lift has enough vertical travel to raise the height of the lower cabinet, but you lack the vertical clearance above the counter, you could build a double decked system with the top half removable. You could raise it half way to get access to the top section. Then if you move the top section out of the way you could raise it the rest of the way to access the bottom. You could even connect the top section to the bottom section with a drawer slide, so you could slide the top over far enough to clear the upper cabinet. I would recommend an inhibit switch that would prevent the lift from going all the way up until the top section was slide open.
portager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #59
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Jennifer
Thanks for the info on Corian, I am getting ready to redo our galley and was looking at all the different tops that could be laid in place. Hope the sun shines strong on the Delta this year, it is a great cruising ground in the summer.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #60

City: New Castle, Delaware
Vessel Name: Belladonna
Vessel Model: Monark 58 custom
Pineapple Girl,

Someone mentioned drawer slides for a slightly different purpose, but in general you can get ball bearing drawer slides on ebay inexpensively. What you'll probably want is the "full extension" style, otherwise a 12" slide as an example might only extend 9", whereas full extension slides go all the way.

You'll use them in conjunction with your linear actuators JUST like you would designing a drawer that slides out, only its going in a vertical plane instead. Build stops if you need to, otherwise hopefully your linear actuators have built in stops.

What I've found is that its EASIEST to build the whole system including the surrounding framework on your workbench. You can even test it there. Then you take the whole thing, slip it into place and shim it to where it needs to be.

This is much easier than trying to build the moving parts while measuring and mating them to the supporting structure with your head in an opening and no place to stick an arm or hand.

Not sure if you're already past this stage but thought I'd throw the ideas at you.
aronhk_md is offline   Reply With Quote