Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
RE: Galley makeover ideas

I am currently in the midst of a galley counter re-do. I am using one of the Quartz products. 3/4 in thick. I am putting in a countertop access hatch of quartz to access the otherwise inaccessible corner cupboard. My 12 x 12 lid weighs about 10 lb. It has a finger hole in the middle, so it can be lifted out. The sides are bevelled and sit on bevels in the solid counter. That was a challenge for the stone cutter, but he managed. I don't think the 10lb weight will get too tiresome, as it won't require a long reach. I am replacing a tile countertop, so already had about a 5 lb lid.
I hope to get the three pieces to meet with barely noticeable joints. Wish me luck! I'll get some photos when the work is done.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #22
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Keith- post pics of the project- love seeing what others have done.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 AM   #23
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Galley makeover ideas

Quote:
healhustler wrote:

JohnP wrote:Your galley looks pretty good to me.* I think I might be tempted to leave it as is, or replace with more of the same.** Nice boat!** JohnP

Hey, thanks JohnP, but that was a photo of my Manatee galley, and we're talking about Gary's galley. *I just posted the picture so we could see how much counter space is in the Manatee. *Far as I know, it should be the same in Gary's boat (the thread originator), but apparently, needs some sprucing-up.

********* Got it,* Your galley does look real nice, glad you are not ripping it out for the sake of change.** JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Tuesday 18th of January 2011 08:26:17 AM
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

If we are talking galleys--has anyone done anything in your corner space (if you have one).* I have two of these "dead" corners.* Both have an access in the counter that lifts out and below there is a lift out "bucket" like what you see in Woodsong's after photo. If I lift out the "bucket" there is a TON of space down there.* Has anyone added a false floor or dividers or made the access bigger when replacing the counter tops? Someone mentioned changing the shape of the access to fit it to a trash can, has anyone done that?*

Looking for ideas!* thanks

here's the detail from Woodsong's photo
Attached Images

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #25
TF Site Team

PG:

I once thought to convert that space into a freezer, but I bought a stand alone freezer instead, so I just use it as a big box cupboard. My access hole is 12"square, so most any groceries will go through it. My new countertop will retain the 12" square opening. the space goes down to the bottom of the adjoining cupboards and back to the wall that is against the Engine room, out to the hull liner panel (almost vertical back in this cupboard), so a ton on space.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

Quote:
koliver wrote:

PG:

I once thought to convert that space into a freezer, but I bought a stand alone freezer instead, so I just use it as a big box cupboard. My access hole is 12"square, so most any groceries will go through it. My new countertop will retain the 12" square opening. the space goes down to the bottom of the adjoining cupboards and back to the wall that is against the Engine room, out to the hull liner panel (almost vertical back in this cupboard), so a ton on space.
Yeah mine are the same--huge! I can see can marks where the PO must have kept six packs down there.* It seems like it would be easier if the access were made larger--but then again if you had stuff on the counter that would be more to move out of the way to open it.* I am tempted in at least ONE of the corners to make two opening, one for a (removable) trash can and*one for general storage.* We really have nowhere to put a trash can and that little "bucket" that is in there is*very small*for trash-plus with the wood handles that jut into it it is hard to get the trash bag back*OUT!* I'd love*to add a false floor so*they aren't such bottomless pits and maybe partions so things don't go sliding.* It is really*great storage space,*but it is almost TOO big; it seems like it would be hard to keep*organized??*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #27

City: Seattle, Salmon Bay
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42
Galley makeover ideas

Garry and Victoria,

I don't know how adventurous you are, but I have one more suggestion for counters.* A few years ago I greatly enlarged my kitchen and remodeled the whole thing from scratch.* As I wanted to do everything myself, I went with polished concrete countertops.* I made various molds and then poured them (upside down) using special mixes and dye. The subsequent polishing process was messy but we love the end result.* Miost vistors think it's some sort of natural stone.* They will stain but an occasional sacrificial coat of wax prevents that.

I got all the knowledge i needed for the project from this book...
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Concrete-Countertops-Design-Finishes-Kitchen/dp/1561584843#reader_1561584843">http://www.amazon.com/Concrete-Count...der_1561584843
</a>

The pros are the materials are cheap and you can incorporate any design imaginable.* Even insert shells, etc.* Color is up to you (with some experimentation).* And it's very, very satisfying!

The downside is weight (it does have to be a bit thicker than granite) and the cost of a wet grinder and diamond pads.* But you might be able to borrow or rent the tools, or maybe have some else do the polishing.

When I get around to re-doing my own galley, I'll be doing this again.

-- Edited by Tonic on Tuesday 18th of January 2011 06:34:10 PM
Attached Thumbnails
kitchen-interior 002.jpg   kitchen-interior005.jpg   kitchen-interior 009.jpg   kitchen-interior 011.jpg  
Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #28
Veteran Member

We have a Monk36 with one of those corner lift out units in our galley. The PO put a false bottom as well as a wrap around ledge above the false bottom. There is space for containers on the ledge (ie pasta, flour, etc.). The false bottom and ledge is made of a lucite type material. Quite ingenious. This should hold most of my regular pantry items. We already have a trash can under the sink so I think I'll stick with using the lift out unit for breakfast items like coffee/tea/cereal.

rusbet
Monk36 1986
rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #29
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Galley makeover ideas

Our Sabre has a lift top storage in the corner that we use as a pantry.* The steps from the*helm deck*are*nest to the galley and*are hinged.* The top step holds the trash can, the two others are pots, pans, and paper products storage.* Very efficient.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 18th of January 2011 07:21:49 PM
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #30
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

On our Island Gypsy the corner lift out is a trash bin. It has a holds a garbage bag in a plastic bin that is removed thru a door outside along the port side of the deckhouse. It works pretty well because the access in the counter is small, but the door out side is big enough to pull the full bag out. It has a copper drain tube in the bottom that leads to the side deck and it is easy to hose out and keep clean.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #31
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

A couple of points I have come across when dealing with different materials for Kitchen bench tops for clients.

1/ As said Granite is very heavy and the choice of finishes is not as great as some other options. Also Granite being a natural stone and quite porous & can have internal stress points, which if you are very unlucky, can fracture if you drop a heavy item onto the weak spot.Also Granite feels very cold to touch and is unforgiving if you drop anything onto it.On the positive side the premium granite tops have a depth to them that can not be matched elsewhere,but you are talking 'big bickies'.If you damage Granite it is not easy to repair.

2/ 'Manufactured stone' such as Quartzstone, Caesar Stone etc, is very versatile, slightly cheaper than Granite, is non porous and can be repaired if damaged. The colour range is very good and the product is non porous. This product has been around for approx 20 years and seems to stand up to wear & tear well.You can get it in differing profiles ie 6mm, 9mm, if you like the chunky look you can glue a 12mm edge profile to give the impression of a large solid bench top.

3/ Corian is not a stone product and hence has a softer feel than the above and it is kinder to glasses and plates that may be dropped onto it.Also it is lighter, but quite expensive. The great thing about Corian is that you can fix major damage quite easily(well if you know what you are doing)The only downside I have noticed is that on older tops they tend to look a bit dull, but having said that the Corian people say you can polish them up, however to my eye they still don't look 100%

4/ Under benchtop sinks look great but be aware of the area where they are screwed/glued to the bench top, they collect dirt and grime and soon turn black if you are not diligent, waterproof silicon has to be scraped out and replaced on a regular interval.

Sorry if I have repeated what others have already posted.For the record here is our set up in our IG 36. We have kept the kitchen quite minimal as our climate in Sydney is mild and almost all of our cooking in summer & winter is done on our BBQ on the aft deck
Attached Thumbnails
1135.jpg   1148.jpg  
Andy G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:35 AM   #32
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Some things I'd really like: A trash compactor, convection microwave and powered exhaust vent over the stove.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:36 AM   #33
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

If I had the corner situation I think I would have to seriously consider putting in a corner cabinet on a lift. Push a botton and that huge space would rise up for access. It would be very easy to do. You can use the lift mechanism for TV's or build your own.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:39 AM   #34
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Quote:
shrimp wrote:

4/ Under benchtop sinks look great but be aware of the area where they are screwed/glued to the bench top, they collect dirt and grime and soon turn black if you are not diligent, waterproof silicon has to be scraped out and replaced on a regular interval.

When done right the top to sink joint should be under the top and not visible. This eliminates the need to maintain the appearance of the joint.

Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:46 AM   #35

City: Homosassa River, FL
Vessel Name: Mango Mama
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36
Galley makeover ideas

Quote:
Daddyo wrote:

If I had the corner situation I think I would have to seriously consider putting in a corner cabinet on a lift. Push a botton and that huge space would rise up for access. It would be very easy to do. You can use the lift mechanism for TV's or build your own.
I really like the idea of a hidden cabinet on a lift. I've looked into TV lifts and they could work bu, WOW, they're expensive. I'd be interested in some ideas for building one. As a mechanical engineer I can visualize various lift mechanisms but I'd need some help coming up with a motor to drive it.

I'm thinking a simple box riding on heavy duty drawer slides mounted vertically on the back. The front of the box could be lifted with a pulley system drive by a reversible*electric motor. I'm open to ideas. I'd be happy to provide design details and test results if we ca nwork it out.

These links for linear actuators might be helpful
http://www.firgelliauto.com/show_info.php?page_id=35

http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_...roducts_id=146

-- Edited by GarryP on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 07:56:13 AM

-- Edited by GarryP on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 07:59:11 AM
GarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #36
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Although I think it would be great to use the space under the corner counter, that space does serve as a parking spot for small appliances you don't want to move every time you get something from below. We do store items that we use very little but like having, around the corner under the sink cabinet. Our helm chair hinges forward, when in the slip or at anchor, creating more counter space.
Attached Thumbnails
galley.jpg   helm chair.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #37
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Seahorse,
we are talking about the space that would be below where your coffee maker is...the dead corner in the cabinets.

Bets use I have found for them is putting my son inside. This led me to the idea of being able to use the space to smuggle illegal aliens into the USA. Alas though, I do not in CA so not sure how that will pan out for me. Guess I'll keep my day job.
Attached Thumbnails
caleb helping.jpg  
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #38
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Galley makeover ideas

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:Seahorse,

we are talking about the space that would be below where your coffee maker is...the dead corner in the cabinets.
Yes, I know. Read the first sentence in my previous post.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 09:25:19 AM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #39
TF Site Team

The cabinet lift idea sounds worth pursuing. Lee Valley sell a sewing machine lift that could work in that application.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #40

City: Homosassa River, FL
Vessel Name: Mango Mama
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36
Galley makeover ideas

Quote:
koliver wrote:

The cabinet lift idea sounds worth pursuing. Lee Valley sell a sewing machine lift that could work in that application.
The linear actuators at Firgelli Automations would work great. Check out model number*FA-200-TR-24-20" but they have plenty of diferent capacities and stroke lengths.
http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_...roducts_id=146

-- Edited by GarryP on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 10:47:22 AM
GarryP is offline   Reply With Quote