Galley maid water sys pump not self priming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom-mac

How to re prime system withou dockside water pressure? Do you need a pump to prime the galleymaid? Tried sucking on the bolt (removed) with a wet vac. Should the faucet be open when sucking? Get a little water but the pump won't kick off. Planning to live aboard and do the Caribbean loop and with fresh water heads don't want to "do without" :mad: pump is just about at the level of the tanks, do we have to install a pump to prime the pump? :banghead:
Tks for any help

No! 1) turn off the pump. 2) open a faucet or two and take the system pressure down to zero, or close to it; basically when no more water comes out the faucet(s).3) Turn the faucets off. First remove the intake hose from the pump and fill it with water, elevating the end as much as possible to release the maximum amount of air, then reconnect 4) open the priming cap on the pump and pour water in until it over flows (what was with the sucking?) 5) open a faucet 6) turn on the pump.

Do you have a check valve between the pump and the tank? If not, this is the main reason for losing prime. Was it run dry? Make sure you have a "run dry" type pressure switch. These are great pumps, love the one on my Hatteras.

If you have further questions the folks at Raz Marine in Fort Lauderdale are a great resource.

Last edited:
I don't have a Galley maid. But yes, if you are trying to suck water into the pump the faucet must be open for the vacuum to work.

Move the pump so it is gravity feed , and there will never be a problem again.

Much easier to install a check valve near the tank and a run dry pressure switch If either is missing) than move a pump. In my case, there was no way of doing gravity feed, tank on bottom of boat.

Tks for all replies, turned out there WAS a totally un obvious run dry switch which has now been "found" and works like a champ! All is well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom