Old 04-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. WK. Hahahahaha...Doh! I'd forgotten about that. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #22
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
My tanks have normal vents like any other tank, it's that the fill caps are on the tanks themselves. When filling, the vent is not in play, it vents through the big fill opening. When running the vent is in play.

I probably am violating a rule by being able to spill fuel into bilge, but I like better this way. Filling normal tanks almost guarantees spilling fuel. Never had a spill on mine.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Ski...I don't think so as my employer has a fleet of boats that is similar.... cant imagine with all the USCG stuff those boats have been through, they haven't been flagged.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. MM. I like the idea of a high vent. How about mounting your fill cap (large) in a recess just above deck level on the inside of your transom and running your vent inside the transom to a fitting outboard and high up against your gunwale? The vent will be higher than the fill and any spillage, if there EVER is any will be on deck and not out the vent.

Fuel fill recessed similar to oval hole in the 3 o'clock position. Photo courtesy of Mr. Hendo's fantastic rebuild of Axe post #1992. Thanks Matt.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. MM. I like the idea of a high vent. How about mounting your fill cap (large) in a recess just above deck level on the inside of your transom and running your vent inside the transom to a fitting outboard and high up against your gunwale? The vent will be higher than the fill and any spillage, if there EVER is any will be on deck and not out the vent.

Fuel fill recessed similar to oval hole in the 3 o'clock position. Photo courtesy of Mr. Hendo's fantastic rebuild of Axe post #1992. Thanks Matt.
I see, and envy, those elevated fillers on a late model Halvorsen IG 32 on my marina.
When I had my teak decks redone I floated the idea of elevating the existing flush fills by a centimeter so any water on the deck was below filler level, got talked out of it by the yard. Probably saved some stubbed toes.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #26
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Make a nice aluminum or stainless box with a top that seals and some sort of a latch (or a lock). Put the filler with its cap in the box and a drain in the bottom of the box that drains spilled fuel back into the tank. Tee the vent so that one branch of the tee terminates in the box and the other tee goes to the roof with a 180 degree bend and an insect screen. Any fuel that exits via the vent will drain back into the box/tank and vapours will exit up high where delicate noses are not insulted.

Mount the box flush in the deck or flush in a wall or in the lazarette or anywhere that it is convenient to refuel. Spills will be caught in the box and returned to the tank, overflows likewise and the Carbon-nazis will sleep a peaceful night.

I think this is called a fuel chest?
Old 04-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #27
FF
Guru

Run the vent hose up inside a stanchon.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #28
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Thanks for the design options...all have merit and will be pondered accordingly