Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #1

fuel gauge

We have an Albin 36, Fuel gauge is clear line on side of tank but we cant see fuel.* Does anyone have a place to get new clear sight gauge line that will work or Ill take some advice. Thanks, Tom
marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
RE: fuel gauge

Tom: At least one guy nearby could reach his top site-tube fitting from inside the tank through an inspection hole, and put one of those tiny sink drain snakes you see at a lot of drug stores in the TV Special's area, attached it to a variable speed drill, and turned slowly while moving the snake in and out of the fitting. It cleaned it up enough to read. If the glass tube is clear as you reported, then check above and below the tube for valves. My Krogen also has the tube, but I have bat-handle 1/4 turn valves above and below. It enables you to take a reading, close the valves, and then after cruising, check the old reading again before opening the valves again for the new reading. If it's a case where the tube is simply too dirty to see anything inside and you'd rather not remove it, try painting the area behind the tube (or the back of the tube itself) with either white or something bright and luminous. If still a no-go, try shining a flashlight through the tube, and if you can see the light through it, place a grounded 12 V LCD strip on a piece of thin wood or other insulator glued to the tank behind it to backlight it. I broke the last couple of tubes I tried to fix, so be careful.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
fuel gauge

Quote:
marlin wrote:
We have an Albin 36, Fuel gauge is clear line on side of tank but we cant see fuel.* Does anyone have a place to get new clear sight gauge line that will work or Ill take some advice. Thanks, Tom
*just did mine...same size as on my water tanks...something like 1/2" for my boat. Bought a bunch of 1/2 in clear vinyl tube nat local hardware store...bought enough to redo in a year or so if it becomes discolored again.

-- Edited by psneeld on Friday 24th of February 2012 04:15:58 PM
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

1/4 " clear plastic hose "for diesel" isn't much more expensive than the "not for diesel" stuff. It won't discolour.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #5

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46

Where would one find this special diesel hose?
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
TF Site Team

My marine mechanic got me some. Seems it wasn't unusual.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37

I had a similar problem on my water tank sight glass (plastic). When I replaced it I dropped in a little bright orange plastic fishing float so I could see the meniscus easily. Not sure if something like that is "diesel-proof," but it sure makes it easier to see.

dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Just search for Tygon Fuel Tubing or Tygon diesel tubing.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #9
FF
Guru

1/4 " clear plastic hose "for diesel" isn't much more expensive than the "not for diesel" stuff. It won't discolour.

Your insurance fellow may want to see the USCG "fuel" hose markings on this stuff.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
TF Site Team

Put a valve top and bottom and open it only to check fuel level. The stuff with hose markings tends to have poor visibility.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
The diesel in our area is dyed a really dark red. It doesn't take long before I can't tell the difference between the actual fuel level and the stain on the inside of the old PVC sight-tubes. The new Tygon tubing finally arrived and I fitted it today. The difference is night and day. Why did I wait so long? There are doubtless many sources, but I ordered mine from McMaster Carr.
Attached Thumbnails
Sight tubes.jpg  
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #12

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
We have had the same clear plastic tube sight gage for 14 years. Must be a for diesel tube. There a valve at the bottom.I can read fine... red fuel helps. I found some "U" channel aluminum that fits nicely around the back side of the full length of the tube. This offers some protection. If I don't close the valve after reading, the tube becomes the weakest link.
xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
*just did mine...same size as on my water tanks...something like 1/2" for my boat. Bought a bunch of 1/2 in clear vinyl tube nat local hardware store...bought enough to redo in a year or so if it becomes discolored again.

-- Edited by psneeld on Friday 24th of February 2012 04:15:58 PM
some plastics are not designed to be used with fuel and willl disolve, change color etc. when used with pther materials. No tubing should be used that isnt designed for use with diesel fuel if you have a diesel,or gasoline if gas powered. This is especially important for systems your life may depend upon.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
some plastics are not designed to be used with fuel and willl disolve, change color etc. when used with pther materials. No tubing should be used that isnt designed for use with diesel fuel if you have a diesel,or gasoline if gas powered. This is especially important for systems your life may depend upon.
Gimme a break...vinyl or PVC doesn't "dissolve" but it does harden with age. Long before any sever issues arise, the tubing will be replaced due to discoloration or I will be replacing my tanks in the next few years.

The real joke is the tubes are secured by shutoff vale. The only time they could leak more than a few ounces of fuel is when checking the fuel quantity and I'm staring at them.

Some of you guys got to get out more into the real world and see what is being used on boats all over the place. Not everyone shops down the street at West marine every weekend...
Old 12-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
When I first started working in a marine store I remember selling replacement sight glass tubes that really were glass.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #16
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
When I first started working in a marine store I remember selling replacement sight glass tubes that really were glass.
Those same glass sight tubes are still available wherever boiler and pipe fitter supplies are sold. Quite common and surprisingly durable too.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #17

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Those same glass sight tubes are still available wherever boiler and pipe fitter supplies are sold. Quite common and surprisingly durable too.
If you read the article I posted today on the sinking of the Bounty (A Legendary Ship's Final Hours Battling Sandy - ABC News), it mentions that the engineer left the engine room for about an hour and when he returned the day tank was broken. How does a day tank break? Perhaps it had a glass sight tube?
captrigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
............ Not everyone shops down the street at West marine every weekend...
We need to support West Marine so it will be there when we really need it. I just take the Internet pricing and they match it. Sometimes they give me stuff for free. And if the hardware store stuff is $2.00 and the marine stuff is $2.50, I spring for marine just for the peace of mind.

If it really doesn't matter (like interior screws and wire ties), I'll just use the less expensive hardware store stuff. I had to redo some of my boat's potable water plumbing and the local ACE Hardware store had matching PEX fittings so that's what I used.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
We need to support West Marine so it will be there when we really need it. I just take the Internet pricing and they match it. Sometimes they give me stuff for free. And if the hardware store stuff is $2.00 and the marine stuff is $2.50, I spring for marine just for the peace of mind.

If it really doesn't matter (like interior screws and wire ties), I'll just use the less expensive hardware store stuff. I had to redo some of my boat's potable water plumbing and the local ACE Hardware store had matching PEX fittings so that's what I used.
You support it...I have ZERO need for it...but that's really not my point anyway...

No matter what gear you buy from wherever...knowing how and why it will or will not work is important. Buying something marine is no guarantee that it's worth a toot and buying something far more inexpensive and adapting it is just as acceptable....as long as you know what you are doing. For those who say it will devalue your boat just haven't been around the block enough.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
When I take my Internet price to my local West Marine they match the price. I have to pay sales tax but no shipping. And the part is there when I need it, not two weeks away. I can measure it and I can return it if I change my mind.

Since Boaters World closed, WM is the only game in my town.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote