Freshwater pressure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aenlic

Veteran Member
I'm waiting for final parts to arrive before completing the replacement of freshwater pump and (post-pump) filter, adding a (pre-pump) sediment screen and an accumulator tank. (All but the filter and housing are Shurflo, not very expensive but apparently very high quality.)

Whilst I wait, I thought I'd ask if boaters typically keep the water pressure lower than 'standard household' pressure. My pump is a 3 gpm Aquaking II, and if I need to regulate it down I'd rather find out before problems of which I am unaware come up. (Yah, new boater here...)

Thanks for any info-

Bob

Your pump is factory set for a shutoff pressure of 55 psi. If your water system is properly designed and built it should handle that fine.

One of the advantages of the Aqua King II is that it doesn't need an accumulator tank. It has an internal bypass that prevents it from rapid cycling on and off. I wouldn't install the accumulator tank.

Here are the installation instructions. Note the do not show an accumulator tank.
http://shurflo.com/images/files/Marine_Product_Manuals/Fresh-Water-Pumps/911-1052.pdf

Thanks, HopCar. The reassurance about pressure is good to hear.

I do a lot of research before purchasing, and all indications were that regardless of pump design, adding an accumulator tank increases the life of the pump. Given the modest price of the Shurflo 182-200 Pre-Pressurized Accumulator Tank (about $33 on Amazon), it seemed like a prudent investment. :)

Thanks-

aenlic

Your pump is factory set for a shutoff pressure of 55 psi. If your water system is properly designed and built it should handle that fine.

One of the advantages of the Aqua King II is that it doesn't need an accumulator tank. It has an internal bypass that prevents it from rapid cycling on and off. I wouldn't install the accumulator tank.

Here are the installation instructions. Note the do not show an accumulator tank.
http://shurflo.com/images/files/Marine_Product_Manuals/Fresh-Water-Pumps/911-1052.pdf

An accumulator tank will extend the life of a regular pump. A pump with a bypass, like the Aqua King II, doesn't benefit from it. If it makes you feel better, I don't think it can hurt anything so go ahead and install it.

Jabsco uses electronics on some of their pumps to vary the speed of the motor and make an accumulator unnecessary. They can be damaged by putting an accumulator tank in the system.

. "It has an internal bypass that prevents it from rapid cycling on and off. I wouldn't install the accumulator tank. "

While this does save the bother of installing an accumulator it wastes electric pumping water thru a bypass.

The long lasting and quietest FW setup is a non bypass pump with a large as you can easily fit accumulator. 6 gal- 20gal, with built in diaphragm..

For even better operation use a Square D house style pump switch and use larger delivery plumbing.

Our 90/90 is built for ocean work and 5/8 copper tubing with flair connections , and only 15 -20 psi at the pump gives good showers and galley use.

Back
Top Bottom