Old 06-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #1
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
New Jabsco Variable Speed Pump

Looks like Jabsco has come out with a new improved variable speed water system pump. I like variable speed pumps because they eliminate the need for accumulator tanks.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
FF
Guru

"I like variable speed pumps because they eliminate the need for accumulator tanks."

One reason I prefer the older style, the accumulator tank can cause the pump to cycle on 1/10 or fewer times ,saving juice and wear.

I believe the low flow is created by bypassing already pressurized water , that my battery already pressurized.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"I like variable speed pumps because they eliminate the need for accumulator tanks."

One reason I prefer the older style, the accumulator tank can cause the pump to cycle on 1/10 or fewer times ,saving juice and wear.

I believe the low flow is created by bypassing already pressurized water , that my battery already pressurized.
No, like the first sentence in the quote says, it is a variable speed pump so it only runs at a speed required to maintain the flow. There is no bypass.

But Cruisersforum reports problems with the flow sensor and when the voltage supply is low. So I would stay away from them until these get sorted out.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #4

City: Toronto
Anytime I see " improved " makes me suspect ..... The road to many garbage bins is paved with things that were " improved " ... just sayn' fb
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
Guru

ShutFlo tried to make a variable speed pump but had problems and switched to by pass pumps. These work very well.

Jabsco’s first variable speed pump had problems also. Their second version was pretty good. I don’t recall any being returned to me under warranty. This is the third version. Time will tell how good it is.

A lot of the problems with variable speed pumps was because people didn’t remove their accumulator tanks when they installed the new pump. The accumulator tank seems to confuse the pump.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
ShutFlo tried to make a variable speed pump but had problems and switched to by pass pumps. These work very well.

Jabsco’s first variable speed pump had problems also. Their second version was pretty good. I don’t recall any being returned to me under warranty. This is the third version. Time will tell how good it is.

A lot of the problems with variable speed pumps was because people didn’t remove their accumulator tanks when they installed the new pump. The accumulator tank seems to confuse the pump.
So a bypass pump does it run all the time?
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
So a bypass pump does it run all the time?
It runs continuously at full speed as long as there is an open faucet. Any water in excess of what goes out the faucet is diverted back to the intake side of the pump.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #8
Guru

I would not spend a dollar for anything labeled jabsco ,new and improved or old and worn out
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
Grand Vizier

Quote:

My VSD pumps lasted about 7 years with no problems, although I must say, the Headhunter pump I replaced them with is really nice.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I've had a few Jabsco VS pumps, never had one fail unless it froze. The "new and improved" on this one is a bunch of diagnostic functions - low or high voltage, high current, on too long, etc. The knock against them in the RV world is that some of the limits are set too tight, so you get nuisance shut downs. The one thing I'd really like about this one is that it shuts off after running continuously for 5 minutes or something like that, this keeps from flooding your boat with fresh water should a hose break.
DDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #11
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I would not spend a dollar for anything labeled jabsco ,new and improved or old and worn out
Well bully for you! What's your reason? I had two Jabsco raw water pumps on my Detroit engines, an overboard macerator pump and a utility pump and all were good, long-lived products. Wouldn't hesitate to purchase again.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #12
FF
Guru

Another reason for preferring an accumulator is hot water.

If an engine loop is sourced for HW the water temp can get to the same temp as the engine coolant.

A cold box of water will expand quite a bit , so the safety of the water system may depend on the over pressure/over temp valve on the HW heater.

These usually release at over 100psi which is far beyond what many boat FW water systems were designed for.

An accumulator built for potable water , and a dumb water pump solve many hassles.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #13
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:

What sort of problems happened because a VS pump was installed w/o removing the accumulator?

I have a Shurflo Smart Sensor. Do I need to remove the accumulator?
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Leamington ON
Vessel Name: Tootles
Vessel Model: Nordic 26
Also these variable speed pumps do not play well with water filters which is not documented but the factory told me after mine kept shutting down
Tootles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCook View Post
What sort of problems happened because a VS pump was installed w/o removing the accumulator?

I have a Shurflo Smart Sensor. Do I need to remove the accumulator?
The ShurFlo Smart Sensor pumps were their variable speed pumps which were replaced by the Aqua King II by pass pumps.

I think the accumulator tanks caused the VS pumps to change speed erratically.

If your system is working now, don’t mess with it. When the pump fails, and all pumps fail eventually, consider removing the accumulator and replacing the pump with either a ShurFlo By Pass pump or the Jabsco VS pump.

If you decide to keep the accumulator tank, just get a regular pressure switch controlled pump. No need to spend extra for a VS or by pass pump.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I had one of the early ones in a previous boat. It made too many growling noises so I removed it and went with a conventional pump.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:29 PM   #17

City: Portland OR
Vessel Name: True North
Vessel Model: Gulfstar Mark II
Question Install on Jabsco VFLO 5.0, doesn't work

I'm trying to install a new VFLO 5.0 Model 42755-0092. Up doing an existing system with an accumulator tank. I installed the new 5.0 per instructions an took the accumulator tank out of the system. I filled the boats water tank, opened the faucets and turned on the 12 volt switch at the panel heard a shot but and that was it. No motor pumping. There is 13.2v to the motor and water up to and through the pump. It's not working. So I reinstalled the old system, that was working until I removed it, and it wouldn't work either. I'm frustrated and not sure how to make it work. The pump is new right out of the box purchased at Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Please advise. Steve
Crids54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:35 AM   #18
FF
Guru

My guess is somehow the pumps pressure switch is seeing enough pressure to not switch on , cant guess why.

Try hooking up the intake and not the discharge to observe .
Old 08-08-2018, 06:47 AM   #19
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
It runs continuously at full speed as long as there is an open faucet. Any water in excess of what goes out the faucet is diverted back to the intake side of the pump.

Does that diversion happen inside the pump? Or does the installation need some kind of diversion plumbing to make that happen?

??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
I've had a few Jabsco VS pumps, never had one fail unless it froze. The "new and improved" on this one is a bunch of diagnostic functions - low or high voltage, high current, on too long, etc. The knock against them in the RV world is that some of the limits are set too tight, so you get nuisance shut downs. The one thing I'd really like about this one is that it shuts off after running continuously for 5 minutes or something like that, this keeps from flooding your boat with fresh water should a hose break.
So a 6-minute shower is out of the question?

-Chris
Old 08-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #20
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crids54 View Post
I'm trying to install a new VFLO 5.0 Model 42755-0092. Up doing an existing system with an accumulator tank. I installed the new 5.0 per instructions an took the accumulator tank out of the system. I filled the boats water tank, opened the faucets and turned on the 12 volt switch at the panel heard a shot but and that was it. No motor pumping. There is 13.2v to the motor and water up to and through the pump. It's not working. So I reinstalled the old system, that was working until I removed it, and it wouldn't work either. I'm frustrated and not sure how to make it work. The pump is new right out of the box purchased at Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Please advise. Steve
Perhaps bleed all air out of the system.