Fresh Water Wash Down Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
Looking to install a wash down system on my boat. Will use fresh water from onboard tank. What pump do I need to give me the pressure needed? Should I use a second pump or connect to the current pump in the boat?

:confused: AS ALWAYS

Connect to the currently installed pump and see how it does. If not enough flow, upsize the current pump. No need for second pump dedicated for washdown.

Your existing pump should do the job. All you have to do is to tie in to the cold water tubing some place and run it forward to a deck fitting. This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-31911...7429892&sr=8-1&keywords=deck+washdown+fitting

David

I installed two of those fittings on our boat for FW wash down. Have found that it is hard to insert the male end into the female socket and turn it to seat it. Takes a lot of push and grunt and a strong wrist. I can do it but my wife cannot. It is somewhat easier to insert it if no nozzle is on the other end of the hose or if a nozzle, that the nozzle handle is depressed. (No crude remarks please. The censors are watching).

I installed two of those fittings on our boat for FW wash down. Have found that it is hard to insert the male end into the female socket and turn it to seat it. Takes a lot of push and grunt and a strong wrist.

It's a common issue. But there's a really simple fix. The problem is that there is back pressure in the hose competing against moving the inlet port. Turn off the pump (or close a shutoff which should be inline for a fresh water system) and open the hose to release all pressure. Then try to twist it. Your wife will have no problem doing it.

dWhatty

On the New Found Metals web site they make a 45 degree hose connection to help with that. They say much easier to use than the straight connection, do to the leverage factor.

My fresh-water water pump provides sufficient flow for sinks and toilet but the wash-down flow is weaker than I'd like. Still, I'm not wanting to over stress the existing water lines.

Be sure to calculate your anticipated usage as most fresh water pumps put out a lot of gallons per minute (3-5+/gal per min). I had wanted to put in place a fresh water wash down for our anchor chain but realized that it would sacrifice too much of our fresh water. Pulling up 200' of chain = 200 seconds = 3.3 min x 5 gal/min pump = approx 17 gal plus addtl wash down which for us adds another 5+ minutes. For us it just wasnt practiclal.

buy a $99 walmart pressure washer with the adjustable nozzle.
That's what I am thinking for anchor wash.
Current deck wash hasn't got enough grunt to clean 100+ ft of muddy chain in a reasonable timeframe.

"Current deck wash hasn't got enough grunt to clean 100+ ft of muddy chain in a reasonable timeframe."

Simple solution is a 120V home well pump . Most have plastic housings so feeding sea water is no problem.

Many will self prime so can be mounted above the WL and many will fill a 1 inch output with 50-60 PSI .

''You will need a 1 inch hose to get the volume and pressure desired.

The engine at idle will keep the batts powering your inverter fairly happy.

Back
Top Bottom