Fresh water system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
Today I found some water in the usually dry bilge of the boat . I found when the freshwater (house) pump cycles, water was spraying out of a weep hole in the bottom of the pump, a Flojet 2840-100 ( 4.5 GPM @ 40 PSI) which seems to be part of a package, 02840100A, including an accumulator tank they are both mounted on a molded plastic piece bolted to a bulkhead in the engine room.
When looking for a replacement and maybe repair parts I find the same pump but also several similar which have "internal bypass" and claim no accumulator needed.
I imagine this setup is the original 2003 equipment so it seems to hold up well, but if the performance of the non accumulator equipped pumps is similar or better I would just a soon go that route. I am guilty of from time to time leaving the boat forgetting to turn the FW system off. Will that affect either the accumulator or non accumulator style pump differently?.
Any experiences, comments, or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

My pump was supposed to not need an accumulator tank. It would chatter on and off when drawing water slowly through a faucet. Two of them failed. I added an accumulator tank and that made things much better. The pump only runs when the pressure in the tank drops.

This is a timely thread for me as well. My pump gave up after 14 years just the diaphragm not the motor. I want to replace the whole thing as the motor could go tomorrow. It's a 4.5 GPM as well with a tank. I would urge the OP to leave in the tank in place no matter which type of pump he chooses.
Now the question is which mfg. and type of pump do you install today?
I personally would like greater than 5gpm as it currently takes me a little over an hour to empty a full tank.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

This is a timely thread for me as well. My pump gave up after 14 years just the diaphragm not the motor. I want to replace the whole thing as the motor could go tomorrow. It's a 4.5 GPM as well with a tank. I would urge the OP to leave in the tank in place no matter which type of pump he chooses.
Now the question is which mfg. and type of pump do you install today?
I personally would like greater than 5gpm as it currently takes me a little over an hour to empty a full tank.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

I would look at a Headhunter Excalibur.

Our Flojet VSD pumps have no accumulator, are inexpensive and have been flawless for six years.

I've had them all, and the galleymaid. 5 years ago I installed a Delavan "fatboy" pump. Cost about $300. I also installed a small 2 gallon pressure tank. I never hook up to dock water so this pump does all the work. And it keeps my tanks fresher. In 5 years not one problem and we are liveaboards all spring summer and part of the fall. Not so much in winter. The shower is just like the one at home with as much flow as you could want. No ups and downs or loss of hot water. I dont know of anyone that has used this pump besides me but it was recommended to me by a mexican roof washer that uses them everyday. If you install one you will laugh at the other "boat crap" pumps and wander why you didnt do it sooner.

I've had them all, and the galleymaid. 5 years ago I installed a Delavan "fatboy" pump. Cost about $300. I also installed a small 2 gallon pressure tank. I never hook up to dock water so this pump does all the work. And it keeps my tanks fresher. In 5 years not one problem and we are liveaboards all spring summer and part of the fall. Not so much in winter. The shower is just like the one at home with as much flow as you could want. No ups and downs or loss of hot water. I dont know of anyone that has used this pump besides me but it was recommended to me by a mexican roof washer that uses them everyday. If you install one you will laugh at the other "boat crap" pumps and wander why you didnt do it sooner.

We felt the same way when we installed our Mach 5, not sure how used the boat without it.

I'm familiar with both Jabsco and ShurFlo tankless pumps. They both came out with electronically controlled pumps that would change the speed of the motor in accord with the demand. They both worked best without an accumulator tank. They both had problems. Jabsco has stuck with the variable speed system (Sensor Max) and seems to have it working well. ShurFlo dropped their variable speed pumps (Extreme Series) and went with a design that runs the pump at full speed but bypasses excess water back to the intake. ShurFlo calls their by pass pumps Aqua King II.
Both systems seem to be working pretty well now.

Back
Top Bottom