Old 04-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #1

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Fresh Water Hoses Single Crimp?

Hello,

I'm new to all of this stuff but learning as fast as I can!

Is it customary to use only a single crimped ring on the fresh water fittings and connections?

While I do see double worm-gear hose clamps around the fresh water pump the branch lines down stream have only a single crimp. I have found 4 small leaks so far.

Of course, if one of these fittings fails with the water pump energized I could find all of my fresh water in my bilge or above!

Seems to me to be a mistake in design or application. The boat is still under warranty.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
If the water from your tanks leaks into the bilge, the bilge pumps should pump most of it out. An inconvenience but not a sinking.

If you are connected to city water, the boat could sink as there is an unlimited supply of water.

What do you mean by a "single crimp"? One hose clamp or something else?

One clamp isn't a problem but it shouldn't be leaking especially on a new boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #3

I haven't tested my (automatic) bilge pump yet, but I intend to do so soon.
The branch lines are tightened to the nylon fittings with a single crimped band, not the adjustable worm-gear style. These bands must be installed with a special tool.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
I haven't tested my (automatic) bilge pump yet, but I intend to do so soon.
The branch lines are tightened to the nylon fittings with a single crimped band, not the adjustable worm-gear style. These bands must be installed with a special tool.
If they are leaking, that should be a warranty issue. I would be tempted to replace them with high quality marine hose clamps but not until the warranty is up. You could buy them now just in case you have to make a repair yourself away from home.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Do you have vinyl hoses or pex (or similar)????

Pex is only going to have one unles somebody got creative at the pump or used vinyl to decrease vibration.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #6

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
RClarke

It sounds like you have PEX plumbing with a single compression band around them. This is common for PEX and usually works very well. The hard part with PEX in boats is finding out if you have the 15mm that Whale and SeaTech sell or if you have 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4" that Lowes, Homedepot and other home hardware stores sell.
With PEX you can also use the push-in connectors that Whale, SeaTech and Sharkbite sell.
Last month I had a bronze PEX fitting fail and my freshwater pump put 300 gallons into my starboard bilge, drowning two vacuum generators and causing the boat to list. I now have a water alarm in all bilge spaces.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
Guru

PEX and such should be labeled with type, size and manufacturer along the length of the tubing.
Attached Thumbnails
MD Trip 007.jpg   MD Trip 012.jpg  
Old 04-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
As others have noted, it sounds like you have PEX tubing and fittings. The crimps are made with a pliers like tool that you can often rent at your hardware store. They are much tighter than can be easily achieved with hose clamps, so replace them with PEX crimps only.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
. . The branch lines are tightened to the nylon fittings with a single crimped band, not the adjustable worm-gear style. These bands must be installed with a special tool.
Can you get a photo of a typical joint so that we know what type of system you have. In my experience the Pex joints shown in rwidman's photos do not leak if correctly assembled. I would have expected this, or something of similar quality, on a new production boat.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #10
Guru

Amazon.com: qest fittings

Or Ace Hardware.

The crimps are fast and easy when manufacturing a boat and they are pretty standard for residential construction but if you're on your boat, away from home or don't have the special tool, you could have a problem. With the fittings I have I can take things apart and put them back together easily with standard tools.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
This is definitely one for the boat manufacturer. We can only speculate, and they should fix this.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #12

Here are 2 photos.

The red and blue lines are the fresh water lines.
The one with the braided lines come to/from the water heater where quick-connect fittings are used, which are leaking too.

I think that I'm going to just buy a bunch of worm-gear hose clamps and double up on those that I can access.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG   photo2.JPG  
Old 04-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. r. As others have said, it's a warranty issue. IF you start altering/repairing stuff yourself, it may void warranties. Get the dealer to deal with it to your satisfaction. If it were me, I'd connect it up to city water (higher pressure) and see what pops.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
Guru

Hose clamps will not work on what you have there.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
You have a better chance of success if the plastic connector fitting has barbed ends.
I had a problem, twice, with a reinforced plastic hose going onto a copper tube coming loose, dropping most of our 270 gals of water into the bilge. The bilge pump did it`s job, adding a second hose clamp appears to have fixed the problem.
Use your warranty to get the system changed to fittings that seal. That red hose might just keep compressing. I can`t see adding a second hoseclamp jeopardizing your warranty.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #16
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Bearing down on those fittings with worm drive clamps could very well cause more problems down the road, if not immediately, than it solves.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
.............That red hose might just keep compressing. I can`t see adding a second hoseclamp jeopardizing your warranty.
Go to the home center and ask to see a piece of PEX tubing. Look at it and feel it. It's not at all like vinyl hose and it's not soft enough for a worm drive hose clamp to work for connecting it to a fitting. The crimp used in his boat is very specific and must be installed to a specific tension with a specific tool.

PEX tubing only works with PEX compatible fittings and that might be the problem here with the leaks. The fittings may be intended for vinyl hose and not PEX tubing.

The dealer should make repairs to eliminate the leaks. The problem I see with the crimp connectors (even with the correct fittings) is that it will be difficult to make repairs in the future, especially away from home. With the fittings on my boat, two pairs of pliers and a tubing cutter or knife is all that's needed.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #18
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Just an aside, the piping work on the Camano Troll is very nice looking and the Beneteau a bit haphazard. I'd agree with others, get the manufacturer to fix things up.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #19
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
And turn your fresh water pump breaker off when dockside and off the boat
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Bearing down on those fittings with worm drive clamps could very well cause more problems down the road, if not immediately, than it solves.
I don't get it. There is a nylon or plastic fitting that the hose slides onto so the hose won't keep compressing to the point of distortion, and I'm careful to not over tighten.

The crimp rings that are now being used snug the hose tight to the fitting just as a worm gear clamp does. The one leak that my dealer fixed was fixed with a worm gear clamp.

Totally agree to let this happen under warranty. The crimp rings are a pain for several reasons

Thanks to all for your thoughtful comments.