Fresh water gauge not working - FIXED!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frgeorgeh

Vessel Name
Ten Knots
Vessel Make
42' Californian LRC
I hate having something on the boat that does not work. The fresh water gauge never worked so I worked on it and found the issue.

First I pulled gauge out to determine how it was wired and what model it was. It is a VDO SW 40/102 12V. Of course, nothing came up on google so I made a drawing.

Next I checked for 12V at gauge. Nothing. Well, that is an issue even if the sender is bad. So, voltmeter at hand and using my eyes for tracing wires I found the problem.

1. Gauge tied to a breaker with tape over it. Looks like it used to be for an anchor light?!?! Who knows.
2. Found corroded broken wire at the breaker.

Required everything and now she works just fine.

Pics and crude drawing attached for your amusement.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435002579.441542.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435002601.381881.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435002626.216261.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435002639.801171.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435002662.204771.jpg

Doesn't that feel great when you ID the problem, find the cause, and fix it? The you can sit down with your favorite beverage and stare at that functioning gauge while the Admiral sings songs of praise for your intelligence and resourcefulness. (Ya...it doesn't happen that way on my boat, either!)

I found a local trophy engraving company that will print new CB labels for cheap.

Doesn't that feel great when you ID the problem, find the cause, and fix it? The you can sit down with your favorite beverage and stare at that functioning gauge while the Admiral sings songs of praise for your intelligence and resourcefulness. (Ya...it doesn't happen that way on my boat, either!)

I found a local trophy engraving company that will print new CB labels for cheap.

Sw PM me for the label guy.

Just a little at a time. If I have to touch it, I make it right. It takes more money and more time but you are right; Captain's hour is so much sweeter when you have done it yourself!

Geo, I think you're likely to do as well with a local trophy or engraver shop for the circuit breaker labels. With your old one in hand as an example, they can match the font and hole spacing to make it fit right and look professional.

Geo, I think you're likely to do as well with a local trophy or engraver shop for the circuit breaker labels. With your old one in hand as an example, they can match the font and hole spacing to make it fit right and look professional.

Got it! Will look around. If I find a cheap one I will post for those in my local area. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom