Old 06-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #61
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Here's what or raritan marine elegance (?) uses. Might be an Atlantes freedom though, not quite sure.
Solenoid
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433196827.552256.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	40659
Siphon break? Whatever it is, it's above the bowl.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433196866.224554.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	40660
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:28 PM   #62

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
100% agree, all the way back to post #2 and still do.
So, Scott: We've both made that suggestion in posts 2, 27, and 52...OP should go with his idea...and it's funny, I imagine the OP quit following this thread a loooooooooooooooong time ago!
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #63
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoboater View Post
...and it's funny, I imagine the OP quit following this thread a loooooooooooooooong time ago!
No way! He's a Site Team moderator. They never stop watching the threads! That's why they earn the big bucks!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #64
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Hmm...63 posts and anchors haven't been mentioned once...We just passed through a full moon phase...Is there a general malaise occurring... Hmmm...
Old 06-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #65
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Hmm...63 posts and anchors haven't been mentioned once...We just passed through a full moon phase...Is there a general malaise occurring... Hmmm...
Is it possible that if someone buys a new Fresh head they could use the old head for an anchor as long as they used all chain rode.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #66
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. R2. Atta boy!...But if you pull the chain will it flush the ocean?
Old 06-01-2015, 06:25 PM   #67
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
When I cobble something together that uses the same or better parts than a manufacturer...for half the price...and the engineering performance (maybe not looks) is equal.....

What does that make me? And what does it make those that continue to make innuendo about those of us that need to be creative enjoying this lifestyle?

The last statement isn't for just this thread but as long as I have posted here it applies....so don't take it personally anyone...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #68
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoboater View Post
So, Scott: We've both made that suggestion in posts 2, 27, and 52...OP should go with his idea...and it's funny, I imagine the OP quit following this thread a loooooooooooooooong time ago!

Good point, lot of talk for a head.

I like the drift about using an old head for an anchor, my guess is that with an adjustable lid it would be best if used as a MUD anchor.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #69
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. R2. Atta boy!...But if you pull the chain will it flush the ocean?
I think the biggist question is will it hold equally as well in fresh water as in salt water.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #70
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
I think the biggist question is will it hold equally as well in fresh water as in salt water.

That's the spirit!!
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:03 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
No way! He's a Site Team moderator. They never stop watching the threads! That's why they earn the big bucks!

Fascinated by the extended conversation. While Bay Pelican is an extremely well equipped boat, my preference is to avoid relying on technology working and thus the addition of another solenoid and another vacuum breaker is not appealing to me. Also getting rid of my manual head which I know how to fix (quickly I might add) and for which I have a full set of spare parts is not in the cards.

Last reason for not using the house fresh water system is that fresh water is precious. I have to make it using a water maker (which is the most troublesome item on the boat) and I have an abundant supply of rain water which is currently going overboard.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:36 AM   #72
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Bay Pelican: Water is precious-agreed. I used a collection system off my upper decks the entire time I was in the Dominican Republic (three months), the local stuff was rather suspect. No problems with it and very simple- filtered and chlorinated with ample supply. Most would be surprised how much can be collected even with a 1/4" of rain.

dan
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Thank you for the clarification.
The Headmistress clarified nothing. She plugged new heads (Raritan in particular), which is typical (See her "Bottom line" in the last paragraph of post 17). And Scotty, as shown in post #55, these new fresh water heads have an anti-syphon valve and a solenoid to differentiate them from a raw water head. I provided a link to the equivalent Jabsco combination valve earlier. There's nothing "cobbled" together about using the exact same items employed by head manufacturers. The Headmistress doesn't want to talk technical details, either because she doesn't understand the designs, or because conversions don't sell new (Raritan) heads or kits.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #74
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
The Headmistress clarified nothing. She plugged new heads (Raritan in particular), which is typical (See her "Bottom line" in the last paragraph of post 17). And Scotty, as shown in post #55, these new fresh water heads have an anti-syphon valve and a solenoid to differentiate them from a raw water head. I provided a link to the equivalent Jabsco combination valve earlier. There's nothing "cobbled" together about using the exact same items employed by head manufacturers. The Headmistress doesn't want to talk technical details, either because she doesn't understand the designs, or because conversions don't sell new (Raritan) heads or kits.

What is not clear about her response to the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Peggy, I had worried about the possibility of contamination when my boat was built (with those Raritan heads, btw), but was assured that there was no risk of bacterial or viral migration "because that water line is pressurized". It later dawned on me that, contrary to my manufactuer's recommendation, I don't keep my water pumps energized when I am off the boat for extended periods, but I was assured that the system was fool-proof, even without power.

Now I see your post, above, and (because you refer to a "pressurized" system as being a safe alternative), I am again concerned that my system is not safe if not continuously pressurized.

Am I misunderstanding your advice?
Thanks, Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
One more time: It is safe to connect any toilet to the potable water system that is designed by the mfr to use pressurized fresh water. [My emphasis.]

Therefore, if your Raritan toilets are designed to use pressurized fresh water, your system is safe whether the water pump is on and the system is pressurized or not.

Rick happens to have Raritan toilets. Why wouldn't she answer in that context?

Is there something in what she says that suggests some other brand -- if designed for pressurized fresh water system -- wouldn't be similarly safe?

Would you expect the Ford CEO to be hawking Chevies?

-Chris
Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #75
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
You guys should know that Peggie Hall does not sell marine toilets and has no financial connection to Raritan.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #76
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
The Headmistress clarified nothing. She plugged new heads (Raritan in particular), which is typical (See her "Bottom line" in the last paragraph of post 17). . . . The Headmistress doesn't want to talk technical details, either because she doesn't understand the designs, or because conversions don't sell new (Raritan) heads or kits.
In keeping with the subject matter, this is a crock of s**t. I've spent at least an hour on the phone with Peggie getting excellent advice on redesigning our heads and holding tank. She suggested different options and mentioned different brands. I never felt pressured to buy Raritan--or anything for that matter. Insulting her qualifications and motives is a disservice to her and everybody on this forum who benefits from her generosity.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #77
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Amen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
in keeping with the subject matter, this is a crock of s**t. I've spent at least an hour on the phone with peggie getting excellent advice on redesigning our heads and holding tank. She suggested different options and mentioned different brands. I never felt pressured to buy raritan--or anything for that matter. Insulting her qualifications and motives is a disservice to her and everybody on this forum who benefits from her generosity.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #78
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
In keeping with the subject matter, this is a crock of s**t. I've spent at least an hour on the phone with Peggie getting excellent advice on redesigning our heads and holding tank. She suggested different options and mentioned different brands. I never felt pressured to buy Raritan--or anything for that matter. Insulting her qualifications and motives is a disservice to her and everybody on this forum who benefits from her generosity.

Peggie's is a class act and we're lucky to have her participation here on TF. Besides, she really knows her shit.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #79
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
What is not clear about her response to the question?

Saying a fresh water head designed for the task is safe (and that it's the only option for plugging into a fresh water supply...see last paragraph of post #17) does nothing but plug new heads. Stating why they're safe would be clarification in the context of these discussions. But then it would be apparent that there's nothing magic about new fresh water heads... a couple of valves (or one combi) and Bob's your mother's brother.

[Rick happens to have Raritan toilets. Why wouldn't she answer in that context?]

Look back at her posts over a period of time. Raritan endorsements all over the place. Just sayin'. Nothing wrong with that, she's a commercial poster...just be aware, that's all. Oh, and I believe Hopcar does sell Rariitan heads. Again, no problem...just be aware.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #80
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

Besides, she really knows her shit.
Read the archives.