Old 05-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #21
Guru

City: AR
It may work the same way, but Raritan has never connected a vacuum breaker to the holding tank vent.

Btw...CG regs also require that all holding tanks be vented to the outside of the vessel, because a)methane is flamable, and b) other anaerobic gasses--sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide--are toxic, even lethal in sufficient quantity. By tapping a "vacuum breaker" into the tank vent, you've created an escape for those gasses inside the boat.

I know you aren't gonna change a thing...you're too determined to believe that you haven't done anything wrong to be swayed by contradictory information. The best I can hope to do here is prevent anyone else from making the same mistakes.

HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:36 PM   #22
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Peggy, by your coment about about tapping a vacum breaker into the holding tank vent you obviously do not understand how the system is plumbed. lf the problem is the holding tank vent being hooked to the toilet pump is the fly in the ontment that could easily be changed to have its own through hull vent. The only reason for it is to allow the pump to function. If what used to be the outflow of water to the bowl is simply capped off the piston in the pump can not operate. Thus it has to be left open. The easiest place was to connect it to the vent hose for the tank, but as said before it could utilize its own through hole.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Have a mainual toilet which currently uses seawater. Thinking of changing it to a fresh water flush. Complication is that I would like to install a separate water tank (3 gallons) so that the toilet is not connected to the drinking water system. The separate tank would be above the level of the toilet pump so that gravity would assist the pump in the same way that the sea water pressure applies.

In addition the separate tank would allow me to use rain water as we have an abundant amount of that.

Anyone done anything similar? Any thoughts?
If it's a Raritan, you might look at their Part number2500RFK...listed in Defender catalogue as Fresh Head Retrofit kit, item 503404. Suspect Jabsco has something similar. But it ain't rocket science and you can safely create your own kit from components if you wish to hook up to the fresh water supply system.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #24
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
It is the rain water supply I intend to use. I have now added a runoff collecting system to the top deck and it supplies rain water for deck washing and with this addition the toilet. Just my preference.
So where does your rainwater collect? If it's a tank why not simply add a pump (on a switch) to take from said tank and fill head? Then you'd only have to run a hose so I'm thinking the plumbing would be simpler.

Rainwater tank
to
pump (12 volt)
to
head

Unless I'm missing something I see no reason to add a 3-gallon tank to the head. That'd be messy and take up space in that compartment. You have a pump for the spray down so adding a tee with a spigot or valve can't be complicated.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Do you use your rain collection system to wash down your anchor? If so what type of anchor are you using?
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #26
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Ulysses-an anchor that only holds on rainy days.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #27

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
The OP (Bay Pelican) has stated he wants to make a totally separate system, as well as stating his reasons...It seems to me that the system he is envisioning is in total compliance with the CG regs that Headmistress is pointing out. So, I'm curious, what is all the discussion about since it in no way answers the questions originally posted?
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #28
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Not sure the USCG cares that deeply about uninspected boats.Just the discharge issues.

Just cheap options besides a separate tank.

Rigging a separate tank is easy and I am sure he can handle it...just providing info that may be helpful.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #29
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. wy. "...what is all the discussion about since it in no way answers the questions originally posted?..." Ahhh, you miss the whole point of thread drift. Did you ever play the game of telephone when you were a kid? This is telephone on an adult (?) level.
Take a fr'intance... A newbie asks "Can anyone tell me how to replace my Jimpson hanger?" 341 posts later one member will be chastising another about where to anchor and why his/her type of anchor is the wrong one. Furthermore that piece of sh*t anchor should be placed on the restricted weapons list and the designer of said piece of garbage should be forced to listen to Barry Manilow songs whilst drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon beer in a Hungarian brothel.
Meanwhile, the original OP has sold his boat and asking the same question on an RV chat group.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #30

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
AAAAAAAAahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Thanks RT...now I get it! Please forgive me, I'm still a newbie when it comes to this type of "adult" behavior. Don't worry, with the patience of people like you, I will learn..I WILL!
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #31
Guru

No thread drift yet...we aren't talking airplanes and cars or holy cow trains like some guys want to beat to death on a boat forum.

I guess if you don't know boats...use other things for your point of reference.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:24 PM   #32
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
If it's a Raritan, you might look at their Part number2500RFK...listed in Defender catalogue as Fresh Head Retrofit kit, item 503404. Suspect Jabsco has something similar. But it ain't rocket science and you can safely create your own kit from components if you wish to hook up to the fresh water supply system.
The "Fresh Head Retrofit Kit" is the "conversion" (everything south of the bowl) that I included in my first post to this thread. FRESH_HEAD Promo Sheet Neither Jabsco nor any other mfr have something similar because a) any bowl---Groco, Jabsco, W-C, Thetford or any other--that has a + mounting bolt pattern will fit it...and b) I'm fairly certain Raritan has patented it. That shouldn't stop anyone who wants to reinvent the first manual toilet designed to use pressurized flush water from trying though.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:09 AM   #33
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoboater View Post
The OP (Bay Pelican) has stated he wants to make a totally separate system, as well as stating his reasons...It seems to me that the system he is envisioning is in total compliance with the CG regs that Headmistress is pointing out. So, I'm curious, what is all the discussion about since it in no way answers the questions originally posted?

As I said in post # 2 the idea the OP has is valid and good IMO, as he stated it.

The other BS as to modifying a head by way of check valves and such nonsense and not worrying about it as "marine heads are the same as your house" and other OWT and forum hype and TF worrying.
Well that is just folks making noise to ...well make noise. I'm being nice here.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:36 AM   #34
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Just as a point of clarification, the vent Ready2go connected to is the vent line to the holding tank, not the FW tank, right?

Marty, your idea sounds like a sound one...even The Headmistress agrees. I'll be interested in how it turns out.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:06 AM   #35
FF
Guru

3 gallons of flush water is way too small.

I would install a 20- 35Gal rubber bladder tank somewhere.

Your head has a fine supply pump and will draw from a good distance.

Fill it with a shower hose , rain water , whatever , KISS ,
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:54 AM   #36

City: Cape Coral, Florida
Vessel Name: Gra Go Deo
Vessel Model: Roberts TY 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conall63 View Post
Those devices are designed to connect to existing fresh water system and have decent check valve and solenoid valve ( at least my Raritan does). If it made you feel better, install another check in line.

Unless you're super attentive to keeping you're existing fresh water tanks and transport lines sanitized, there's probably more of a risk from getting the nasties from your tanks or lines, than the risk of back feeding from the waste side of a toilet into the fresh water side of the supply.

Conall
I read the OP wrong, and though a fresh water toilet was going to be bought, not converting an existing raw water flush, so I was wrong in stating those toilets are designed for connecting to fresh water.

Conall
Conall63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #37
Guru

People come here for ideas....calling other's ideas BS and nonsense is easy.

Pointing out exactly why they they will or won't work takes intelligence ,experience, and a little effort sometimes.

Posting links that show why an idea will work, meet standards and possibly save someone some money, time and/or energy is what I thought forums were for.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:19 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
I was thinking the same .I mounted a small water tank on my old sail boat that was higher than my manual brass hand pump at the galley sink and it just ran thru the hand pump .. Will the valve at the toilet pump hold back the gravity feed from the tank ? I think that it would .
Old 05-31-2015, 08:27 AM   #39
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Bay Pelican's separate tank plan will work, utilises rainwater, is simple and, most important, it is NOT connected to other systems.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:34 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
I was thinking the same .I mounted a small water tank on my old sail boat that was higher than my manual brass hand pump at the galley sink and it just ran thru the hand pump .. Will the valve at the toilet pump hold back the gravity feed from the tank ? I would think that it would .
I think it would, usually the lever that directs fill, pump dry is the safeguard from flooding from seawater.

A separate gravity tank could even be kept filled from the pressure fresh water using a standard household toilet valve so it would have the air gap Ulysses discussed.