Old 02-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #1
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Fresh water filtration

If you filter your fresh water before use or for drinking, what type of system do you use? I don't have a filter and the additive I use to keep the tank fresh gives my wife heartburn. I am considering adding an under sink filter for the cold water line. I saw some systems where a filter is fitted between the tank and the pump, filtering all of the water, but it seems at 2.5 gpm it would restrict the flow. I'm curious what others' experiences are with fresh water filtration.

drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #2
Guru

I have a sediment filter between the tanks and the pump, and a double filter in the galley for a drinking and cooking water only faucet. Its a charcoal taste filter and a bacteria filter.
At the end of a season (May thru Oct) the sediment filter is pretty plugged.
The others don't look used.
They all get changed in the spring.

Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
2.5 GPM should not restrict your flow. You can add a set of sediment and charcoal filters if you want to filter all your water. But if it's just drinking water you're concerned with, then I'd look at under sink units. Which can be a simple as one or two filters or as advanced as an RO unit.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
I don't have a filter and the additive I use to keep the tank fresh gives my wife heartburn. .
Why an additive? For cooking, coffee, showers, toilets or anchor washing we have done fine in the PNW filling tanks with municipal dock water. For drinking water 5 gallon water coolers on longer trips are what we use.

Tap water from tanks is always fresh, no filters of any sort. We flush and bleach our tanks every spring.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Our boat came with a strainer on the water pump intake, presumably to protect the pump. Then I added a whole-house, industry standard cartridge filter and use a charcoal filter cartridge. It filters sediment, and the charcoal takes out any objectionable tastes. The cartridge is good for 6 months which is the limit for any charcoal filter. I used a 4" x 10" filter, but probably could have gotten away with a 2.5" x 10" which is more commonly available (any hardware store).

Here's a blog post of its installation.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have an under the sink GE "Smartwater" system it has it's own faucet and spout at the galley sink. the flow rate is not very great but will suffice. I have thought of installing a "whole house" type filter at the main pump so all the water will be filtered, it's on the to do one day list .
My wife drinks bottled water, we use the filtered water for coffee, tea, ice etc.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:37 PM   #7
Guru

City: Doha
Have you found the sediment and charcoal filters adequate for cleaning out bacteria, amoeba and other fun things that we often find in 3rd world countries? It seems that only a UV sterilizer would be effective.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I keep it simple. I use 2 full house filters in line. These units cost about $35 each at Home Depot, then some additional hardware. When cruising I attach one to my filler hose so that I know the water going into my tank doesn't have junk in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0963.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	49243   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0964.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	49244  
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
To the best of my knowledge there are no filters that will remove all bacteria that may contaminate water. While some filters will catch the extremely large bacteria and the particles that the bacteria may attach themselves to, most bacteria will pass through your typical filters and charcoal filters. U.V. and reverse osmosis are costly. A small amount of Chorine coupled with sedimentation filteration works fine for most applications.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
We use a Pura water filter UV1-EPCB-5 which filters to .5 micron (to my best recollection). That will trap most if not all bacteria. It also has a UV light which kills the viruses which are indeed too small to be caught by even a .5 micron filter. It only flows about a gallon per minute, but that is adequate for the small tap at the galley sink that we use for drinking water, rinsing dishes and providing water to the ice maker. We have used these filters in 2 boats and our RV and have never had any water quality issues.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #11
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Our boat came with a strainer on the water pump intake, presumably to protect the pump. Then I added a whole-house, industry standard cartridge filter and use a charcoal filter cartridge. It filters sediment, and the charcoal takes out any objectionable tastes. The cartridge is good for 6 months which is the limit for any charcoal filter. I used a 4" x 10" filter, but probably could have gotten away with a 2.5" x 10" which is more commonly available (any hardware store).

Here's a blog post of its installation.
Dauntless was much the same with a 2.5" x 10" standard household filter between the water tanks and FWP.

Occasionally, I have spent the money to put a charcoal filter in it, but it only lasts a few months and I have about 100 sediment filters.

I do not put anything in the fresh water tank. I just use them all the time and since I stopped trying to use "old" water, I have no taste problems without the charcoal filter.

I worried about this a lot in the first year or two, but has become a non-problem.

The human body has about 30 trillion cells. We also have slightly more bacteria, 30 to 40 trillion, yes trillion with a T, in our bodies.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
The watermaker aside, we have no freshwater filtration system. Generally I'll avoid filling tanks from well supplied water. Before filling with "city water" I'll fill a transparent 2 gallon jug. If it looks clear and tastes fine, in the tank it goes.

11 years and no problems with water.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Have long used a sediment filter between the tanks and the pumps. Our water is essentially product water from the water maker with a couple of times a season water from the dock.

Looked into using a UV filter and found out it basically had to be running all the time as it was ineffective until several minutes after it was turned on. The electrical draw then became a problem for us at anchor.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
If you filter your fresh water before use or for drinking, what type of system do you use? I don't have a filter and the additive I use to keep the tank fresh gives my wife heartburn. I am considering adding an under sink filter for the cold water line. I saw some systems where a filter is fitted between the tank and the pump, filtering all of the water, but it seems at 2.5 gpm it would restrict the flow. I'm curious what others' experiences are with fresh water filtration.
Here in the PNW, I have yet to come across bad water. I only have 87g of fresh water capacity in two tanks. I use a bit of bleach to keep the water from growing anything but never have needed to use a filter. I never find any sediment and even with the bleach (only about 1tsp/10g) our water always tastes great.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We filter any and all dock side water before it goes into the tanks. After that we don't worry about it. The waters turned over frequently enough that we never have an odor or taste or have had a bacteria issue. Away from the dock we use our water-maker.

Those who do filter their water, check the specs on your filters. They have a flow rate and total volume capacity. We use a Matrikx filter to remove chlorine/taste/odor, sediment/dirt/rust and its rated for 1 GPM. Slow but the water has no taste.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-...ter-5-mic.aspx
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:36 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Marty: Yes, that is one of the drawbacks of operating a UV system on a boat. It is supposed to be on all the time to be effective. Furthermore you need a pretty low initial turbidity level which you would probably achieve with a standard house type filter prior to the UV light.

dan
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #17
Guru

The other draw back to UV is there is no residual effect. Once the water leaves the UV device if there is any bacteria down stream, the water just becomes recontaminated. Or contaminated for that matter.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:06 PM   #18
Guru

Thanks for your comments. I am going to install a filtering system for all the water. Now to find the right one.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #19
Guru

One more question. Where should the filter be installed in relation to the water pump-between the water tank and the pump or after the pump?
Old 02-24-2016, 06:27 PM   #20
Guru

If you have the room I recommend two of these: http://www.amazon.com/Pentek-150237-.../dp/B0045LUE4W

One with a sediment filter in it and the other with a charcoal filter in it. Put isolation valves on each side of the filters and pressure gauges on each side as well.

I also recommend drilling and tapping the center bottom of the filter body to put in petcock drain valves. It can make changing the filter elements easier and less messy.

If you want to get really high tech you can remove the red air bleeder button on top of the filter body and replace it with a drain valve with a short piece of tubing on it. So when you need to bleed the air out of the filters the water doesn't run all over the filter body and drip everywhere. You can just drain it into a cup or small tub as you bleed it.