Fresh water filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ranger42c: You probably should not have any major concerns in regards to your marina being on a well. If there are over 15 service connections they should be required to obtain a permit to operate with all the controls, inspections, testing, and monitoring that go with the permit. Exactly like a municipal system would be required to operate.

Fryedaze: Yes, carbon filters may collect sulfates that in turn allow a home for reducing bacteria (not necessarily "bad" bacteria) to begin working on the sulfates and thereby creating the smell. It may certainly be coming from other things also. Do you notice it more in the hot water side of the system ? If so it could be the natural working of the magnesium rod in your water heater. You did not mention the source of your water surface water treatment plant, private well, etc.. That will make a difference on the O2 that is used to reduce the H2S04.

copper plate or pipe in water tanks

Would a copper pipe inside the freshwater tank be able to kill germs and bacteria? If that is the case then that would be an easy and cheap solution to keep tanks and pipes "clean".

Searios: Yes indeed a copper pipe inside the freshwater tank would kill many bacteria and pathogens that come in contact with its surfaces. The problem arises that it only works on dry copper surfaces. It would not work once you fill the tank with water. The studies to date on copper and its effect on bacteria have been in a dry environment and dry surfaces primarily geared towards hospital counters and trays etc....
Just a reminder - copper piping was used for hundreds of years and still is today but not for its bacterial killing properties.

I use a Big Berkie, on the Bridge, out of the way. Feed it with a Pex pipe off the pressurized system with a hand held shower head that doubles as a fresh deck shower. I hand fill about 2x a day. Filtered water to galley, another Pex pipe, sink bar plumbing fixture.

All that goes in our mouth comes from there. Works great. Test gives good results.

I actually bought a calorifier tank with copper insert, due to the claimed antibacterial properties of copper...

The heat transference within the calorifier tank with copper may be enhanced but the bacteria would be unaffected. I am somewhat surprised that anyone would "claim" or market that product in such a manner.

Ranger42c: You probably should not have any major concerns in regards to your marina being on a well. If there are over 15 service connections they should be required to obtain a permit to operate with all the controls, inspections, testing, and monitoring that go with the permit. Exactly like a municipal system would be required to operate.

Yep, we don't worry too much about it. First because the well water is usually pretty decent in the first place -- although not chlorinated, which doesn't bother me. Just mentioned it since other folks have commented on city water availability.

FWIW, iron around here isn't uncommon and the sediment filters seem to help catch most of that.

Our marina well seems slightly better than our household well, when it comes to iron content. I have to change our main household sediment filter element every 5-6 weeks...

-Chris

You have to read that very carefully not to be sold on the health benefits. One study that I researched today was evidently made for that type of marketing methods. The study showed that the copper showed (as stated in the above) little or no bio film after operating at nearly 100 degrees C. That sounded real good but I guess that is why they say to boil water when there is the chance of bacterial contamination. Furthermore it states that the bio-film serves as a home for the bacteria which it does but it did not say that there was not bacteria. I am sure they function well in there heat exchanging and water storage capacities. Good luck and safe travels.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom