Old 02-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
One more question. Where should the filter be installed in relation to the water pump-between the water tank and the pump or after the pump?
After the pump. Install a coarse screen filter before the pump.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #22

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
After the pump. Install a coarse screen filter before the pump.

Great, thanks!

drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Install as close to the pump as possible but downstream of the pump not on the suction side of the line. The suction side probably already has a small strainer to stop any debris from entering the pump. You need the pressure to overcome the small decrease in pressure as the filters become loaded. Place where they will be easy to service maintain a spare filter and o rings.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #24
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
drb
I can echo all of your PNW friends

Where I take on water in South Western BC, and up the coast in Desolation Sound, or on Vancouver Island, I have never had bad water. I do connect a second "whole house" filter at the end of my feed hose when taking on unknown water, and I have one of those filters in my system, after the pump.
If the water hasn't been used for a while, I run it out when I am in a place that I can fill right up. I hold 300 gals, so when we are out for a while, we only have to head in when the tanks a close to empty. That will usually last us 10 days to 2 weeks.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:17 PM   #25

Thanks for the feedback. My freshwater filtration system now includes a sediment filter that attaches to the freshwater hose so it gets it before it enters the tank. I installed a whole house filter with a carbon block filter after the freshwater pump. Awesome tasting water!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1456877811.636600.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	49446
Old 03-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #26
Guru

Looks good. My only comment would be that there are no isolation valves to change filters without turning off the water but with the on demand pump that really should not be a problem. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Looks good. My only comment would be that there are no isolation valves to change filters without turning off the water but with the on demand pump that really should not be a problem. Good luck and safe travels.

This filter has a bypass, off, and filter setting. So the filter can be bypassed and changed with water remaining on. I doubt I will need this feature except for sanitizing the lines after the filter.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:36 PM   #28
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
This filter has a bypass, off, and filter setting. So the filter can be bypassed and changed with water remaining on. I doubt I will need this feature except for sanitizing the lines after the filter.
Yep, mine has these too, so turn the top and the water input is turned off....
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #29
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Has anyone experienced a sulfur smell from charcoal filters? I have used these in the dirt house and they seem to off gas after they have sat for a day of so with no flow through them. I wonder if the critters that they collect decay over time and produce the smell.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #30
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Our marina water is on a well; not bad, but not city water. Many marinas around here are on their own well.

We filter our water as we fill our tank, after having treated the tank and water lines with the clean-up routine (chlorine additive, during Spring commissioning and then again periodically as/if required).

We use a pair of portable whole house filter housings, one Big Blue and one GE Smartwater (just 'cause that's what I acquired along the way). First is full size, the second is a slimline design. First in line uses a Pentek DGD-2501 dual-gradient sediment filter element (25/1 micron), and the second is a Pentek FloPlus-10 Carbon Block filter element (.5 micron).

This approach is a bit of overkill for tank water, but it's easy enough to do in the meantime. When I get around to it, I'm intending to add drinking water filters/faucets (e.g., Moen Choiceflo 9600, which we now have at our home), so the carbon block would move to that.

I use only the Big Blue/2501 filter on shorewater, because the second filter (the carbon block) degrades water pressure too much... and because we usually only use the shorewater connection if we happen to be somewhere that provides city water.

We also usually keep a Pur pitcher of drinking water in one of our fridges, but mostly that's just to keep quality cold water on hand.

-Chris
Old 03-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #31
Guru

Ranger42c: You probably should not have any major concerns in regards to your marina being on a well. If there are over 15 service connections they should be required to obtain a permit to operate with all the controls, inspections, testing, and monitoring that go with the permit. Exactly like a municipal system would be required to operate.

Fryedaze: Yes, carbon filters may collect sulfates that in turn allow a home for reducing bacteria (not necessarily "bad" bacteria) to begin working on the sulfates and thereby creating the smell. It may certainly be coming from other things also. Do you notice it more in the hot water side of the system ? If so it could be the natural working of the magnesium rod in your water heater. You did not mention the source of your water surface water treatment plant, private well, etc.. That will make a difference on the O2 that is used to reduce the H2S04.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #32

City: Hong Kong
copper plate or pipe in water tanks

Would a copper pipe inside the freshwater tank be able to kill germs and bacteria? If that is the case then that would be an easy and cheap solution to keep tanks and pipes "clean".
Searios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #33
Guru

Searios: Yes indeed a copper pipe inside the freshwater tank would kill many bacteria and pathogens that come in contact with its surfaces. The problem arises that it only works on dry copper surfaces. It would not work once you fill the tank with water. The studies to date on copper and its effect on bacteria have been in a dry environment and dry surfaces primarily geared towards hospital counters and trays etc....
Just a reminder - copper piping was used for hundreds of years and still is today but not for its bacterial killing properties.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #34
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I use a Big Berkie, on the Bridge, out of the way. Feed it with a Pex pipe off the pressurized system with a hand held shower head that doubles as a fresh deck shower. I hand fill about 2x a day. Filtered water to galley, another Pex pipe, sink bar plumbing fixture.

All that goes in our mouth comes from there. Works great. Test gives good results.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:05 AM   #35

I actually bought a calorifier tank with copper insert, due to the claimed antibacterial properties of copper...
Old 03-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #36
Guru

The heat transference within the calorifier tank with copper may be enhanced but the bacteria would be unaffected. I am somewhat surprised that anyone would "claim" or market that product in such a manner.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #37
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Ranger42c: You probably should not have any major concerns in regards to your marina being on a well. If there are over 15 service connections they should be required to obtain a permit to operate with all the controls, inspections, testing, and monitoring that go with the permit. Exactly like a municipal system would be required to operate.
Yep, we don't worry too much about it. First because the well water is usually pretty decent in the first place -- although not chlorinated, which doesn't bother me. Just mentioned it since other folks have commented on city water availability.

FWIW, iron around here isn't uncommon and the sediment filters seem to help catch most of that.

Our marina well seems slightly better than our household well, when it comes to iron content. I have to change our main household sediment filter element every 5-6 weeks...

-Chris
Old 03-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #38

Here is the copper info :

Sure Cal Range from Surejust
Old 03-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #39
Guru

You have to read that very carefully not to be sold on the health benefits. One study that I researched today was evidently made for that type of marketing methods. The study showed that the copper showed (as stated in the above) little or no bio film after operating at nearly 100 degrees C. That sounded real good but I guess that is why they say to boil water when there is the chance of bacterial contamination. Furthermore it states that the bio-film serves as a home for the bacteria which it does but it did not say that there was not bacteria. I am sure they function well in there heat exchanging and water storage capacities. Good luck and safe travels.