Old 04-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I have a plastic water tank and I cut a hole in the top and put a screw type deck hatch on it. Unscrew cap and you can completely drain and even wipe out tank. If you have access to the top of the tank, this is the way to go.
Eric: To really clean the tanks, what he said.

Edit: Is your deck fill for you water tanks straight down? If so you can get a nozzle for a pressure washer that jets 360 degrees, put the wand into the tank and you should be able to clean the sides and bottom.

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Larry,
WOW .... I'da never thunk. It's only a 5/8ths to 3/4" hole but I'll go where they sell pressure washers and see. I think I'll rig up another extractor pump w garter capacity and draw directly from the tank outlets thus bypassing the filter so I should be able to "pressure wash" and pump out the tank simultaneously.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
From Ski in post #3...

"I have a plastic water tank and I cut a hole in the top and put a screw type deck hatch on it. Unscrew cap and you can completely drain and even wipe out tank. If you have access to the top of the tank, this is the way to go. "
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #24

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Sounds like some sort of algae or bacteria. Why not put in a little bleach and put water in your tanks. Let it sit for a few days then pump the tanks out. You don't need much bleach.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Olney,Mt/Anacortes,Wa
Vessel Name: Millie B
Vessel Model: 34 CHB Tricabin
Eric Last year we bought this ' new' to us boat that hadnt been used much for 3-4 yrs. fixed leaks in water lines, PO says dont have to winterize if you leave in the water yea right thats why all the lines are spliced in three places! At any rate we filled the water tanks and started using the boat, good at first but the more we stirred the tanks the more brown algae came through the faucets. Bleach and algiecides didnt get rid of the algae. we ended up removing the inspection plates and shopvacing the whole mess out--it looked alot like below the waterline on your dock. Also the tanks have baffles so the pressure wash woudnt work for us. all good now but you should have seen the science experiment in those tanks
good luck, Bruce
raindr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Had to do other stuff today.

Got a water puppy type pump that I'm going to hook directly to the tank outlet. Test ran the motor but I think it needs a new impeller. Get monday. Since I was at hme tday I'll need to wait till Monday to deal w the pressure washing possibilities. I'm very excited about that.

psneeld,
No clearance on top of the tank. I did consider taking them out.

BY,
Yes it also occurred to me that the bleach could render the slime incapable of clinging to the inside of the tank. If it was all adrift at least 95 to 98 % of the stuff would/could get pumped out. The bleach could render the pressure washer unnecessary. Perhaps it will take both.

raindr,
POs and hired help can create a lot of problems often probably w good intentions but creating other problems as they go. Most of us have been guilty but good intentions AND knowledge usually does a good job. But when we buy boats it's our responsibility to look them over really well. "shop vacing the whole mess out" ... not a pleasant image. Glad ya got er done.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote