Old 09-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #21

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Its worth thinking carefully about where to mount your fire extinguishers. You want them handy when required, but not so close to the likely source of the fire that they cannot be accessed safely.

Regarding cleanup... - that's not really a concern of mine if a fire breaks out. I just want the fire out, and no one injured. The insurance company can worry about the cleanup if it is a problem and the boat is still salvageable.

I'm in this camp

With nowhere to go but overboard, I want the fire out.
Have you seen a (fiberglass, plastics, wood and varnish, and fuel) boat burn up lately?

obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #22

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Just a comment on a few truisms in this thread.

Clean agent systems are pre-engineered to protect a volume; in this case the engine room. A 700 ft3 system has some small accommodation for leakage. The agent usually cannot stop a diesel from running and vacuuming the fire extinguishing agent to the outside before it can extinguish the fire. This is why it is necessary to stop the engines and any forced ventilation.

Clean agent systems such as Fireboy can be inspected weighed and the tag signed for a time. Somewhere around 5 to 12 years depending on manufacturer the agent cylinder must be disassembled inspected and hydro-tested, and the unit re-certified This work in the U.S. is licensed work.

AFFF foam is hard to come by. Most fire departments have some. It is a wonderful agent for fuel fires. It makes short work of a boat fire once the compartments and obstructions are reduced. It has limits with three dimensional fires.

Dry chemical is an incredible fire extinguishing agent. Probably the most effective and versatile of all. It is a salt of sorts and rough on electrical components; but then so is the fire. I still would rather replace an inverter and everything else in the electrical closet than fail to extinguish and have to go overboard.

A fire on board my boat is like a turd. I want it off and I am not going to spend time choosing a fire extinguisher so I can pick it up by the clean end.

Good luck and good choices to you all.

obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #23
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

So in reality I have a pecking order that I am working towards....

A modern halon if not too pricy or a CO2 one for use around electronics and my engine....or one of the installed types left on manual while aboard.

A couple BCs for if engine room stuff gets beyond Halon/CO2

FWIW, the instructions for our engine room system pretty much seem to preclude going down to the engine room with a hand-held extinguisher shortly after a halon discharge...

Near as I can tell, we don't have an automatic engine shut-down attached to our Sea-Fire halon system. Looks like that's an operator function...

We had a false alarm on the discharge indicator a few weeks ago; that got my attention! Turned out to be a short in one of the connectors, easily solved. (Well, "easily" being a relative word here; it was a 2-hour conversation with the Sea-Fire tech, me with a multi-meter, etc.) In any case, I had to stop the already-started starboard engine and genset myself.

-Chris
Old 09-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #24

City: Carrollton, Va
A fire blanket would be good to have as well.

SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote