Fenderhooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems like a waste of effort when there are simpler/cheaper solutions as previously explained. But if it makes one happy, GREAT!

Nice work, sir!

I attempted to get opinions on a fender cover discussion thread. For those who read it I apologize.
Does anyone use these fenderhook hangers? Do they protect the varnish on the handrails?

My question is why? I've used odd pieces of line for almost half a century and have yet to have damages a rail. They look nice, and I'm sure are very funtional, but isn't there other items more deserving of your spending money on than those?

"My question is why?"

The spacing on my stanchions often makes it a PIA to try and get a fender centered on the dock pilings. With these it will be fast and easy. My rub rail does not extend far enough to protect my top rail. I really like the way these things look on the "rich guys" boats. I enjoy a challenge and had a blast making them. It will be money well spent for me. IMHO

Look great Dave :thumb::thumb:

Thinking about making something roughly similar without the wool. Kinda like Eric's Willard, my boat has lifelines instead of rails. The stanchion spacing on my boat doesn't seem to line up with where fenders should be either.

Thanks for the inspiration. :)

"My question is why?"

The spacing on my stanchions often makes it a PIA to try and get a fender centered on the dock pilings.

We are fortunate here in that the tidal ranges pretty much force all docks to be floating so we never have to moor to the pilings themselves. All they do is keep the docks in place and so are usually on the ends of or up through the centers of the docks. Our boats are almost always up against the continuous linear edge of the dock itself. So there is no need for precise fender positioning.

Attachments

• Browning.JPG
    Browning.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 94
My question is why? I've used odd pieces of line for almost half a century and have yet to have damages a rail. They look nice, and I'm sure are very funtional, but isn't there other items more deserving of your spending money on than those?

Lol each to his own, brother! Each to his own ;-) i suspect he has the same passion for making things as you do for rebuilt engines.

Same is being asked of me and why I'm rebuilding a 1958 timber boat that was rotting on the hard for the last 7 -10 years.

Job well done and more power to ya old mate!

"My question is why?"

The spacing on my stanchions often makes it a PIA to try and get a fender centered on the dock pilings. With these it will be fast and easy. My rub rail does not extend far enough to protect my top rail. I really like the way these things look on the "rich guys" boats. I enjoy a challenge and had a blast making them. It will be money well spent for me. IMHO

Well if you end up switching out those black plastic rope guides for some nice stainless jobs and start making them to sell, I'll take 8

I really like them. My fiancé saw these on a rather pricey boat over here at ab oat show and thinks they are absolutely great. ;-)

Well done! :-D

Last edited:
I decided to try my hand at a homemade version. The stitching takes some time and bending the 1/8" stainless plate using the "heat it and beat it " method was tough. Only five more to go.

I missed this post of yours. Hendo's comment made me scroll back. I like your idea. Looks to me like you need a commercial singer sewing machine then you come turn out a bunch of them for sale.:thumb:

Through Bulkhead design

Here's a link to a Selene part apparently for post delivery installation by a yard or handy customer through the bulkhead.
Looks like a similar item could be easily fabricated and installed. Failing that, a hole in the bulkhead with a chafe guard would work. Simply pay out the line to length and secure with a figure 8 knot to act as a stopper. I have zero experience with any boat with lifelines, rails, or bulkheads coming from old wooden sail but it ain't a boat without brightwork IMHO
http://www.seleneyachtservice.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Fender-Holder1.jpg

Love your handiwork, Dave. I'm still in a struggle to get the more practical necessities done on my own vessel, but it sure would be nice to undertake such a project. Well done.

Beautiful work and it shows a lot of pride in your boat. If I had teak cap rails, I'd buy 6 of those. Well done!

Attachments

• IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 113
I saw this on a boat this fall. Seems elegant and simple. Not really adjustable unless you had several knots in the line.

Attachments

• 130920 Smiths Falls toMerrickville (49).jpg
    130920 Smiths Falls toMerrickville (49).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 89
Here's a little different twist. I use this style fender hook that comes with a blue nylon strap. Worked great on SS railings, but I wanted to hang a fender board on the Sundeck where the railing has an enclosure. I took some strips of aluminum, bent in a "J" hook, drilled rivets and removed the blue strap and refastened to the aluminum diamond plate. Epoxied some carpet to the back and WaLa:)

I have seen those at boat shows they look real nice but to rich for my blood and too tempting to some no gooder who might decide to rip one off. I use a Rolling Hitch on one, or two stanchions if hung hrizontally.

I removed the stanchions and related lifelines because the walk around was so narrow it was a hazard. When I then realized I had made myself fender-challenged I left the stanchion bases in place, smacked plastic plugs into them (increasing the height) and I use those pegs for attaching the fenders as needed. Admittedly not as classy as th OP solution but works for me!

Next season I am planning on securing two fenders to my slip, thus easing my approach to home base. Very few seem to do this.

I use two of these holders and really like them, although one receives a heart attack when checking new prices we like the fact that we can slide them along the cap rail to move the fenders as needed.

They havent scratched the teak at all and while we went through about 20 locks this fall the fwd holder also supported the aft lead to my large inflatable fenders which kept us off the lock walls on the TenTom, so the holder was supporting two fenders without any hassle.

I am looking for a couple more but not at the advertised price of $500 + each.

Gerald

I inserted in every post supporting the handrail, a round brass piece.
This make possible to adjust the fender to any hight requirement, and rubrail is totally free

Attachments

• DSC01649.jpg
    DSC01649.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom