Old 12-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #101
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
does it really matter if it dissolves in 30 seconds or 30 minutes? .. I was under the impression that IF it clogged the pipes as long as it dissolved in a shortish amount of time it was not a issue?
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #102
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Seems we're flush with information here...
Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #103
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
But fortunately a wee Indian guy - one of the many toilet valets they have, pointed out a European type toilet in most of the other cubicles. They even rush in and given it a quick wipe down before and after you use them...most impressive...
Hope my wife doesn't read this as it would be hard to find a fella like that for short term hire on this side of the globe.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #104
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Ok, so I went back and did a 30 second try. As some have pointed out that this indeed is much closer to the reality of the situation. My conclusions are thus,
The two marine papers had less volume than the house hold 2 plys. However they all showed some sign of breaking down in that little amount of time. I shook all four twice in my little containers. I would assume less volume might indicate less likely to build up into a clog. I would not however in a pinch not allow the wife to bring Charmin onto the boat. I will hold to what my original conclusion was and that is,
plenty of water and good common sense (too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.) **My disclaimer, I am not affiliated with any of the paper companies.

Cheers!
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #105

City: Port Havelock
Vessel Name: Siesta
Vessel Model: Pelin Sterling 36
Ok, I will admit it... this thread lead me to do the toilet paper water test last night (at home) and I have to say the result was not good. The paper I tested did not break down over night, so I might need to check out some other brands

I was not too worried (until now, thanks to this forum), as since I replaced the macerator on the toilet earlier this year we have had only one blockage, but I guess that is one too many!!

I am now under pressure to resolve this issue as we leave on Saturday for a month on board.

"To fish or not to fish, what a silly question. "
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #106
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Ok, I will admit it... this thread lead me to do the toilet paper water test last night (at home) and I have to say the result was not good. The paper I tested did not break down over night, so I might need to check out some other brands

I was not too worried (until now, thanks to this forum), as since I replaced the macerator on the toilet earlier this year we have had only one blockage, but I guess that is one too many!!

I am now under pressure to resolve this issue as we leave on Saturday for a month on board.
I suggest plenty water with each flush, use marine TP and let it saturate with water for a minute before flush, flush-clear more than once if a large volume TP is needed to complete the project.

Also... chew 32 times at after each bite... helps digestion!

And, brush your teeth for mininum of 180 seconds after every meal - helps kissing!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I suggest plenty water with each flush, use marine TP and let it saturate with water for a minute before flush, flush-clear more than once if a large volume TP is needed to complete the project.

Also... chew 32 times at after each bite... helps digestion!

And, brush your teeth for mininum of 180 seconds after every meal - helps kissing!!
Thanks for the advice Art. I will pass the instructions on to the Admiral

Old 12-18-2013, 02:30 AM   #108
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
A MONTH ON BOARD..? Mike what have you done to deserve a month on board..? Best I've ever managed was 11 days. Wanna swap Admirals..? Just kiddin', sort of...
Old 12-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
A MONTH ON BOARD..? Mike what have you done to deserve a month on board..? Best I've ever managed was 11 days. Wanna swap Admirals..? Just kiddin', sort of...
Pete,

Well it is not quite a month, it will be from the 21/12 to 16/1, so nearly

I am lucky that we are shutting our business from 20/12 to 13/1, so that part was easy. Christmas day was the biggie, we had our official family christmas dinner yesterday, so key family relationships have been preserved

I have the family coming up to the boat in shifts, I just need the weather to behave now.

Regarding the Admiral, no I think I will hang on to her, but thanks for the offer

Old 12-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #110
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
This thread evolved from a nasty ol' (some times really nasty - lol) TP use debate to possible swap mate funnies... not what I expected at all!! OTDE sub sector of TF is only place I can see those funnies expanding!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #111
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
As usual no one has stated the obvious...

If your having plugging issues...

EAT MORE FIBER !

Hollywood

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #112
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Clogged Plumbing

Too bad we can no longer use Dick Newick's solutions....flat surface on the wing with a hole in it over the water....sure was a lt-weight KISS solution

Dick Newick - Trimaran, Catamaran, Proa - Multihull Designer, Sailing at Speed - Cheers, OSTAR, Moxie, Rogue Wave
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #113
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
I think Newick came along a few thousand years after the first version was constructed.

And, let me know if you find a rule that says you cannot relieve yourself in the water. All the regs are related to heads; storage, treatment, or discharge of what enters them. Natural body functions are not regulated - yet.

You might cause offense if seen but that legal aspect of that would most likely be related to indecent exposure or some such nonsense.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #114
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
I advise my guests as follows:

The first person to use the head cleans it at the end of the day. Amazing how they can hold their deposits.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #115
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
And, let me know if you find a rule that says you cannot relieve yourself in the water. All the regs are related to heads; storage, treatment, or discharge of what enters them. Natural body functions are not regulated - yet.

You might cause offense if seen but that legal aspect of that would most likely be related to indecent exposure or some such nonsense.
Exactly! This is one of those cases where you can see how the marine sanitation laws in the U.S. are pretty bizarre.

For example, here in Tampa Bay, it is a violation of marine sanitation laws for me to pee or poop into the head and have it discharge directly overboard. But it is NOT a violation of any marine sanitation laws for me to pee or poop directly into the water. It may be a violation of public decency laws, or urinating in public laws, or something such as that, but not marine sanitation laws.

How does that make any sense!?!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #116
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Exactly! This is one of those cases where you can see how the marine sanitation laws in the U.S. are pretty bizarre.

For example, here in Tampa Bay, it is a violation of marine sanitation laws for me to pee or poop into the head and have it discharge directly overboard. But it is NOT a violation of any marine sanitation laws for me to pee or poop directly into the water. It may be a violation of public decency laws, or urinating in public laws, or something such as that, but not marine sanitation laws.

How does that make any sense!?!

This is completely true, in fact if you pee or poop in a container of any type that becomes a holding tank and it is not legal to then dump that in the water.

So peeing in a coffee can or bail bucket and then pouring over the side is not allowed but standing "at the rail" is ok.

I must confess I do enjoy the mid-night deck check with a moonlight wizz.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #117
Guru

Last post reminded me of a joke....

2 marines standing at the rail peeing over the side. One said to the other "it's cold tonight" . The other replied "yes, it's deep too".

Not to be outdone by the same 2 marines....

"it's nice out tonight" Yes I think I'll leave it out"
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #118
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Peeing & pooping overboard overboard might be legal, but what about the paper products (TP) that go with it?
Old 12-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #119
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Has anyone here tried eating the TP with their meal?
Seems like it would solve a lot of problems?
Just sayin'.
Biggest laugh I've ever gotten from this Forum. I see what you did there...nice job.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #120

I posted this in Humour, but I think is also appropriate here. Could solve a lot of problems on the boat

Paper is not dead -