Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #101
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,482
does it really matter if it dissolves in 30 seconds or 30 minutes? .. I was under the impression that IF it clogged the pipes as long as it dissolved in a shortish amount of time it was not a issue?
HOLLYWOOD
__________________
Advertisement

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #102
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
Seems we're flush with information here...
__________________

__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #103
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
But fortunately a wee Indian guy - one of the many toilet valets they have, pointed out a European type toilet in most of the other cubicles. They even rush in and given it a quick wipe down before and after you use them...most impressive...
Hope my wife doesn't read this as it would be hard to find a fella like that for short term hire on this side of the globe.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #104
Senior Member
 
bshillam's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 471
Ok, so I went back and did a 30 second try. As some have pointed out that this indeed is much closer to the reality of the situation. My conclusions are thus,
The two marine papers had less volume than the house hold 2 plys. However they all showed some sign of breaking down in that little amount of time. I shook all four twice in my little containers. I would assume less volume might indicate less likely to build up into a clog. I would not however in a pinch not allow the wife to bring Charmin onto the boat. I will hold to what my original conclusion was and that is,
plenty of water and good common sense (too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.) **My disclaimer, I am not affiliated with any of the paper companies.

Cheers!
__________________
Bringing the love of wood and water together, we create something you will treasure from the day you first row, sail, or power.
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #105
Senior Member
 
MikeD's Avatar
 
City: Port Havelock
Country: New Zealand
Vessel Name: Siesta
Vessel Model: Pelin Sterling 36
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 150
Ok, I will admit it... this thread lead me to do the toilet paper water test last night (at home) and I have to say the result was not good. The paper I tested did not break down over night, so I might need to check out some other brands

I was not too worried (until now, thanks to this forum), as since I replaced the macerator on the toilet earlier this year we have had only one blockage, but I guess that is one too many!!

I am now under pressure to resolve this issue as we leave on Saturday for a month on board.
__________________
Mike

"To fish or not to fish, what a silly question. "
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #106
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Ok, I will admit it... this thread lead me to do the toilet paper water test last night (at home) and I have to say the result was not good. The paper I tested did not break down over night, so I might need to check out some other brands

I was not too worried (until now, thanks to this forum), as since I replaced the macerator on the toilet earlier this year we have had only one blockage, but I guess that is one too many!!

I am now under pressure to resolve this issue as we leave on Saturday for a month on board.
I suggest plenty water with each flush, use marine TP and let it saturate with water for a minute before flush, flush-clear more than once if a large volume TP is needed to complete the project.

Also... chew 32 times at after each bite... helps digestion!

And, brush your teeth for mininum of 180 seconds after every meal - helps kissing!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #107
Senior Member
 
MikeD's Avatar
 
City: Port Havelock
Country: New Zealand
Vessel Name: Siesta
Vessel Model: Pelin Sterling 36
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I suggest plenty water with each flush, use marine TP and let it saturate with water for a minute before flush, flush-clear more than once if a large volume TP is needed to complete the project.

Also... chew 32 times at after each bite... helps digestion!

And, brush your teeth for mininum of 180 seconds after every meal - helps kissing!!
Thanks for the advice Art. I will pass the instructions on to the Admiral
__________________
Mike

"To fish or not to fish, what a silly question. "
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:30 AM   #108
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,669
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I am now under pressure to resolve this issue as we leave on Saturday for a month on board.
A MONTH ON BOARD..? Mike what have you done to deserve a month on board..? Best I've ever managed was 11 days. Wanna swap Admirals..? Just kiddin', sort of...
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:07 AM   #109
Senior Member
 
MikeD's Avatar
 
City: Port Havelock
Country: New Zealand
Vessel Name: Siesta
Vessel Model: Pelin Sterling 36
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
A MONTH ON BOARD..? Mike what have you done to deserve a month on board..? Best I've ever managed was 11 days. Wanna swap Admirals..? Just kiddin', sort of...
Pete,

Well it is not quite a month, it will be from the 21/12 to 16/1, so nearly

I am lucky that we are shutting our business from 20/12 to 13/1, so that part was easy. Christmas day was the biggie, we had our official family christmas dinner yesterday, so key family relationships have been preserved

I have the family coming up to the boat in shifts, I just need the weather to behave now.

Regarding the Admiral, no I think I will hang on to her, but thanks for the offer
__________________
Mike

"To fish or not to fish, what a silly question. "
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #110
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,981
This thread evolved from a nasty ol' (some times really nasty - lol) TP use debate to possible swap mate funnies... not what I expected at all!! OTDE sub sector of TF is only place I can see those funnies expanding!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #111
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,482
As usual no one has stated the obvious...

If your having plugging issues...

EAT MORE FIBER !

Hollywood

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #112
Guru
 
brian eiland's Avatar
 
City: St Augustine, FL
Country: USA & Thailand
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 890
Clogged Plumbing

Too bad we can no longer use Dick Newick's solutions....flat surface on the wing with a hole in it over the water....sure was a lt-weight KISS solution

Dick Newick - Trimaran, Catamaran, Proa - Multihull Designer, Sailing at Speed - Cheers, OSTAR, Moxie, Rogue Wave
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #113
Scraping Paint
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,804
I think Newick came along a few thousand years after the first version was constructed.

And, let me know if you find a rule that says you cannot relieve yourself in the water. All the regs are related to heads; storage, treatment, or discharge of what enters them. Natural body functions are not regulated - yet.

You might cause offense if seen but that legal aspect of that would most likely be related to indecent exposure or some such nonsense.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #114
Guru
 
hmason's Avatar
 
City: Westport, CT
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,904
I advise my guests as follows:

The first person to use the head cleans it at the end of the day. Amazing how they can hold their deposits.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #115
Senior Member
 
City: Tampa, FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
And, let me know if you find a rule that says you cannot relieve yourself in the water. All the regs are related to heads; storage, treatment, or discharge of what enters them. Natural body functions are not regulated - yet.

You might cause offense if seen but that legal aspect of that would most likely be related to indecent exposure or some such nonsense.
Exactly! This is one of those cases where you can see how the marine sanitation laws in the U.S. are pretty bizarre.

For example, here in Tampa Bay, it is a violation of marine sanitation laws for me to pee or poop into the head and have it discharge directly overboard. But it is NOT a violation of any marine sanitation laws for me to pee or poop directly into the water. It may be a violation of public decency laws, or urinating in public laws, or something such as that, but not marine sanitation laws.

How does that make any sense!?!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #116
Guru
 
SCOTTEDAVIS's Avatar
 
City: Vero Beach, FL.
Country: US
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Exactly! This is one of those cases where you can see how the marine sanitation laws in the U.S. are pretty bizarre.

For example, here in Tampa Bay, it is a violation of marine sanitation laws for me to pee or poop into the head and have it discharge directly overboard. But it is NOT a violation of any marine sanitation laws for me to pee or poop directly into the water. It may be a violation of public decency laws, or urinating in public laws, or something such as that, but not marine sanitation laws.

How does that make any sense!?!

This is completely true, in fact if you pee or poop in a container of any type that becomes a holding tank and it is not legal to then dump that in the water.

So peeing in a coffee can or bail bucket and then pouring over the side is not allowed but standing "at the rail" is ok.

I must confess I do enjoy the mid-night deck check with a moonlight wizz.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #117
Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 734
Last post reminded me of a joke....

2 marines standing at the rail peeing over the side. One said to the other "it's cold tonight" . The other replied "yes, it's deep too".

Not to be outdone by the same 2 marines....

"it's nice out tonight" Yes I think I'll leave it out"
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #118
Guru
 
Steve's Avatar
 
City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,607
Peeing & pooping overboard overboard might be legal, but what about the paper products (TP) that go with it?
__________________
Steve W.
http://mvgumbo.blogspot.com/
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #119
Guru
 
Dougcole's Avatar
 
City: Carrabelle, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Has anyone here tried eating the TP with their meal?
Seems like it would solve a lot of problems?
Just sayin'.
Biggest laugh I've ever gotten from this Forum. I see what you did there...nice job.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #120
Senior Member
 
MikeD's Avatar
 
City: Port Havelock
Country: New Zealand
Vessel Name: Siesta
Vessel Model: Pelin Sterling 36
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 150
I posted this in Humour, but I think is also appropriate here. Could solve a lot of problems on the boat

Paper is not dead -
__________________

__________________
Mike

"To fish or not to fish, what a silly question. "
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012