Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > Other Trawler Systems

Old 10-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
FWIW I purchased Noflex based on what I read on this forum. We had Lots of odor from the vent when pumping the head. The Noflex cured it almost immediately.
FWIW, I have been very happy with Noflex since I started using it recently. Not a lot of experience with it yet, but after a month of use I found that I was able to rinse my tank clean for the first time after pumping out.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Los Angeles
Vessel Name: Fire Escape
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Apparently I did not know I had to keep a switch on for the bow thrusters to work.
Hey Donna, at least you have thrusters unlike moi who must resort to a constant flail of hands on the throttle and trans levers!

Jim Gandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:44 PM   #23
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
This is my home made "holding tank aerator" I used a 12v bait aerator some pvs piping and air stones. My tank (45 gal.) had an inspection plate in the top already which made the installation quite simple. Pictures show battery clamps which come on the air pump I cut them off and hardwired the pump to the 12v circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holding tank aerator  006.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	57600   Click image for larger version

Name:	holding tank aerator installed 016.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	57601  
Old 10-19-2016, 03:56 AM   #24

City: Doha and Mobile, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
... just add 2 ounces after each pump out & Forget About It!
Is it necessary to keep adding the product after each pumpout? Once the tank has been seeded and the bacteria is alive then it will continue to grow. Or is there some other dynamic going on here??
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:26 AM   #25

City: Sanary
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Can't speak as to "Forget About It." i did forget the name and had to look it up.
LOL ! I love this kind of humour .
Pilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #26

To those who have tried Noflex Digestor, does it "attacks the sludge on the bottom of the tank and converts all solid waste to water" as well ? Digestor means it should, just needing confirmation.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilou View Post
To those who have tried Noflex Digestor, does it "attacks the sludge on the bottom of the tank and converts all solid waste to water" as well ? Digestor means it should, just needing confirmation.

My experience is that it has taken care of the sludge at the bottom of my tank. Not sure how as I wasn't watching it in real time.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 10-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
My experience is that it has taken care of the sludge at the bottom of my tank. Not sure how as I wasn't watching it in real time.
Thanks Dave
Old 10-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
Air stones great idea idea
i was experimenting on dissolved air floatation years ago to remove the heavy metals from bilge water .
The size of the micro bubbles you get out of the stones would increase injection of Oxygen many fold .
A company called Hydroxyl was using pump cavitation to produce the same micro bubbles but instead of air they were using plasma induced ozone for sewage treatment .
It was like throwing a grenade in a room of 20 only wanting to kill one person

How long do your air stones last
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #30
Veteran Member

It is heavier than water drops to the sludge layer in tank and liquefies it.
More details in this link and it being used on the barges in UK for sludge and smells

Zaal,Noflex Digestor, sewage treatment,Holding Tank Treatment,Septic system treatment,Head treatment,boat holding tank treatment ,holding tank waste treatments,RV holding tank treatments,boat head treatments,RV head treatments,
Old 10-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Q View Post
More details in this link and it being used on the barges in UK for sludge and smells

Zaal,Noflex Digestor, sewage treatment,Holding Tank Treatment,Septic system treatment,Head treatment,boat holding tank treatment ,holding tank waste treatments,RV holding tank treatments,boat head treatments,RV head treatments,
Thank you.
The photos speak for themselves.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #32
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
FWIW, I have been very happy with Noflex since I started using it recently. Not a lot of experience with it yet, but after a month of use I found that I was able to rinse my tank clean for the first time after pumping out.

Dave, is that with "eyes-on" (or even "in") the tank itself? Or just from looking at effluent flow through the sight tube on the pump-out hose?

-Chris
Old 10-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:

Dave, is it still heavier than water when allowed to dissolve in the toilet bowl first? You might remember I've worried about the sound of grinding glass when flushing newly-inserted (not yet dissolved) Noflex through our toilet pump...

-Chris
Old 10-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Dave, is it still heavier than water when allowed to dissolve in the toilet bowl first? You might remember I've worried about the sound of grinding glass when flushing newly-inserted (not yet dissolved) Noflex through our toilet pump...

-Chris
It doesn't dissolve much -- the coating on the grains are to give it a longer dwell time in your tank and in the sludge in you pipes
With grinder toilets I suggest putting a little TP in the bowl first then the Noflex on top and flush .
You don't need much Noflex after you get things under control a little bit on a regular basis and measurements do not have to be exact.
Most people that have been using the Noflex for a while find that they can reduce the amount greatly, It is not uncommon for a customer to use 4 bottles in a year and the following year only use one for the season.
Guess that's bad for me with sales!
But talking to the happy people that the Noflex has fixed their problems really makes my day. I love it

Someone should start another post about black water and link the "fantastic" to it
Old 10-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #35
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
The thread title views as just "Fantastic". Why would anyone want to view this thread w nothing to indicate what the thread is about?.
When I wrote this, I titled it "Fantastic Holding tank Additive." This title also appears in post #1.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #36
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Is it necessary to keep adding the product after each pumpout? Once the tank has been seeded and the bacteria is alive then it will continue to grow. Or is there some other dynamic going on here??
The instructions say to add 2 ounces after each pumpout which is what I do. (40 gallon tank) All I can say is it's the best stuff I've ever tried! For what it's worh, I have vacu-flush fresh water heads.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Dave, is that with "eyes-on" (or even "in") the tank itself? Or just from looking at effluent flow through the sight tube on the pump-out hose?

-Chris

Effluent flow on pump out. Before I started using is I could never get a clear rinse on pump out, even after 4 rinses. After using Noflex, the second rinse was clear. I have only owned the boat for 6 months and I don't think the prior owner ever rinsed after a pump out for the prior 6 years.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 10-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
It doesn't dissolve much -- the coating on the grains are to give it a longer dwell time in your tank and in the sludge in you pipes
With grinder toilets I suggest putting a little TP in the bowl first then the Noflex on top and flush .
Thanks, I'll try that. I interpret the "doesn't dissolve much" to mean what I'm seeing as "dissolving" is maybe the coating?

Quote:
Effluent flow on pump out. Before I started using is I could never get a clear rinse on pump out, even after 4 rinses. After using Noflex, the second rinse was clear.

Thanks, useful data point. Can't say ours ever looks very clear, Noflex or not.

-Chris
Old 10-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #39
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Is Noflex safe for an aluminum holding tank? Asking for a friend...
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #40
Guru

City: AR
"Fantastic!" isn't header that would lead me to think it had anything to do with sanitation systems, so I hadn't seen this thread until I receive a PM from someone asking me if I knew anything about "forgetaboutit" with a link to this thread, (which also explains why Dave Stranks sent me an "out-of-the blue" email about "forgetaboutit" a couple of days ago!)

I met the guy who owns the company at a sailboat show in California last spring..."met" is an understatement...he HAUNTED me at the show and buried me under info and sales pitches about the glory of "forgetaboutit" via email afterward, even sent me a bottle. Apparently he does pretty well with it in the RV market, which is not surprising because RV toilets use so little water and the tanks are even more rarely flushed out than marine tanks. And because RV tanks are just dumped out a hole in the bottom, a lot of sludge gets left behind to build up...in fact, RVers have a term--Poop Pyramid--for it...sludge that has a very high concentration of "struvite." (urine crystal) and apparently this stuff does a pretty good job of dissolving those. Not much potential in the marine market though 'cuz marine toilets use a lot more water than RV toilets, so except for VacuFlush owners and and any other boat owners who are determined to use miniscule amounts of flush water, struvites aren't that much of an issue even in hoses, and "forgetaboutit" doesn't accomplish anything that NoFlex or SewClean (which Raritan private labels as C.H. Cleans Hoses) doesn't do a whole lot better.

Peggie
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote