Old 10-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

City: Newport
Vessel Name: Sailors Two
Vessel Model: 1982 CHB
External holding tank

I just ordered a Camco Rhino heavy duty portable holding tank. Anyone have experience with an external holding tank? I donít like boating to the pump out station in the rainy, windy winter here. Anyone have experience with attaching it to the boat and pumping it out? Special fittings and or pump needed?

ChattyPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattyPatty View Post
I just ordered a Camco Rhino heavy duty portable holding tank. Anyone have experience with an external holding tank? I donít like boating to the pump out station in the rainy, windy winter here. Anyone have experience with attaching it to the boat and pumping it out? Special fittings and or pump needed?
Welcome aboard. Have never used one of those. You are going to need some kind of pump to get it from your holding and up into the portable tank. Do you have an overboard pump that lets you pump the holding tank into the water when you are offshore at least 3 miles? If you do you may be able to add a Y valve and a hose that will pump the waste into the holding tank.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
Guru

City: Trenton
Yuck!!
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
RVs can do all of the transfer in and out of an external tank with gravity. That is what the Camco tank is designed to do.

As others said you will need a pump, probably a macerator pump if you already have on installed with a Y valve to divert its output to the external tank. Then you will need about 20' of waste hose from the pump to the tank. Maybe collapsible RV waste hose could work. And then you need to vent the tank. And finally you will need a remote switch to control the pump so you don't blow up your tank once it gets full.

And then you need to wash down your hose- overboard? when you are finished with it.

I would prefer just to get a little wet occasionally.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
RVs can do all of the transfer in and out of an external tank with gravity. That is what the Camco tank is designed to do.

As others said you will need a pump, probably a macerator pump if you already have on installed with a Y valve to divert its output to the external tank. Then you will need about 20' of waste hose from the pump to the tank. Maybe collapsible RV waste hose could work. And then you need to vent the tank. And finally you will need a remote switch to control the pump so you don't blow up your tank once it gets full.

And then you need to wash down your hose- overboard? when you are finished with it.

I would prefer just to get a little wet occasionally.

David
Collapsible RV hose has no place on a boat. It scarcely has any place on an RV. Walls are thin, subject to tearing, corrugated insides hold solids long after any other hose would be clean, ....you get what I am saying.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
Guru

We have a macerator in our RV to pump the waste out and even uphill if need be. It takes 1Ē retracting hose. The 1Ē hose is pretty tough. We have about 60í of it and it stretches out easily. Maybe look at Camping World for the hose. Still it would be a mess to store. We leave our hooked up permanently.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Getting the right idea. Your Marine supply will have better hose than the Camping World stuff. You only need to match the fitting size. I too use the 1Ē on my RV. Easy to clean and store. 1Ē marine hose will fit your macerated but not likely your Y. Then the tank will have an RV size fitting you will need to match or change. Good luck!
Old 10-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
Guru

How are you going to keep it from freezing?
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #9
Guru

City: AR
If you're gonna have to lift and carry it, you need to know that water and waste weigh 8.333 lbs/gallon. Even a 5 gal portapotty tank weighs almost 50 lbs full. I dunno what size you ordered, but the smallest Camco tank I could find online is 21 gallons, so even if only half full it would weigh at least 100 lbs including the weight of the tank.

Methinks that you'd only have to go through what it would take to use the Camco tank once to convince you that having to put on foulies to go the pumpout, or maybe go when the weather isn't sour even if the tank isn't full yet, isn't such a bad idea after all. Or maybe put a 2-3 gal portapotty aboard to use in an "emergency" till you can get to the pumpout. Its tank weighs only about 30 lbs, which you could carry to the marina bathroom to empty it into a toilet.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #10

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
What size boat are we dealing with and how big is your holding tank? Would it be possible to just put in a bigger tank so you don't have to get pumped as often (making it easier to do it in good weather)?
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #11
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Transferring waste to a "portable" holding tank, and THEN taking that tank someplace to empty it sounds much closer to a port potty and NOT much fun at all.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #12
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
What many forget on TF is the old expression "where there is a will, there is a way".

Sure waste is yucky to some, yes it's weight is 8 lbs per gallon, yes rolling a cart is less work to some than moving a boat and vice versa, yes watching falling temps and frozen waste is an issue....

BIG Fing deal.....think through it and make it happen if you want....it can be done as I have thought it through too.... it also has issues you have to overcome.

No one can lay out what works best unless they sit down with you and go over the whole situation. But don't let a bunch of people who don't want to either do it or think it through deter you.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
How are you going to keep it from freezing?
We donít get a lot of freezing here but we can possibly insulate as needed
Old 10-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
What many forget on TF is the old expression "where there is a will, there is a way".

Sure waste is yucky to some, yes it's weight is 8 lbs per gallon, yes rolling a cart is less work to some than moving a boat and vice versa, yes watching falling temps and frozen waste is an issue....

BIG Fing deal.....think through it and make it happen if you want....it can be done as I have thought it through too.... it also has issues you have to overcome.

No one can lay out what works best unless they sit down with you and go over the whole situation. But don't let a bunch of people who don't want to either do it or think it through deter you.
We have been thinking it through for a while before I ordered this morning. It will be a challenge but all of the replyís have given us more info than we have thought about. But knowing is half the battle. (GI Joe!!!!) not sure how many will get that reference! 🤣
Old 10-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
If you're gonna have to lift and carry it, you need to know that water and waste weigh 8.333 lbs/gallon. Even a 5 gal portapotty tank weighs almost 50 lbs full. I dunno what size you ordered, but the smallest Camco tank I could find online is 21 gallons, so even if only half full it would weigh at least 100 lbs including the weight of the tank.

Methinks that you'd only have to go through what it would take to use the Camco tank once to convince you that having to put on foulies to go the pumpout, or maybe go when the weather isn't sour even if the tank isn't full yet, isn't such a bad idea after all. Or maybe put a 2-3 gal portapotty aboard to use in an "emergency" till you can get to the pumpout. Its tank weighs only about 30 lbs, which you could carry to the marina bathroom to empty it into a toilet.

--Peggie
we have a 34í Trawler. Itís a challenge to maneuver this marina and weíve had a couple incidents and decided not to motor to pump out for the winter. I donít like walking out in cold rain to use the Marina head several times a day. Rolling my waste tank once every 10-15 days to pump out would mean being wet and cold only once in the day. The Camco tank we purchased is a 36 gallon tank. Our holding tank is 40 gallons. Even at that weight the Camco would pull easily with a towing dolly.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:43 PM   #16
Guru

Buy a lot of disposable gloves...
Old 10-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #17
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Or be careful and wash your hands afterwards.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Or be careful and wash your hands afterwards.
Thanks! We hold stock in disposable gloves lol.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:18 PM   #19
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattyPatty View Post
We donít get a lot of freezing here but we can possibly insulate as needed

Keep in mind that insulating won't prevent freezing in a tank exposed to freezing conditions. It may slow the process, but without a source of heat, it'll eventually freeze, insulation notwithstanding. If the tank spends any time in freezing conditions, you may need to add a heating pad. Then the insulation will help to retain the heat.
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
Keep in mind that insulating won't prevent freezing in a tank exposed to freezing conditions. It may slow the process, but without a source of heat, it'll eventually freeze, insulation notwithstanding. If the tank spends any time in freezing conditions, you may need to add a heating pad. Then the insulation will help to retain the heat.
Good point. We will be prepared just in case.