Exceptional drinking water, without bottles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chuck Gould

Vessel Name
Dear Prudence
Vessel Make
Eagle 40
We saw a Seagull IV water purification system at the Seattle Boat Show last January. We resolved to put one on our boat before our long summer cruise. We're several weeks into the cruise, and the unit is performing flawlessly. Best of all, I'm not schlepping 32 pounds of bottled water down the dock from every little wilderness store just to avoid the "tank taste". We figure the first 1,000 gallons of bottled water will cost us about 60 or 70 cents per gallon, and the next 1,000 gallons will cost about 10 cents each.

A link to a photo and more details about our research on the unit and the installation process:

Pacific Nor

That looks very much like a smaller version of what we use plumbed in on our bench-top at home to remove any 'taint' from our city supply for drinking, tea and coffee making etc. We also fill a couple of 20L pinic type insulated water containers (with taps) from it to take on the boat, so we don't actually have to drink the boat tanks supply. It works extremely well. We would never consider bottled water. I could see how it could be a near perfect solution to just have one plumbed in on the boat as well. I might look into that, in fact.

Looks like a great product. Do you have to change filters often?

The filter is rated for 1,000 gallons. If somebody used 5 gallons of water each and every day for coffee, cooking, drinking, mixed beverages, ice, etc the filter should theoretically last for 200 days. Most folks aren't on their boat 200 days a year, (we're certainly not). I expect to replace the filter (currently retailing for $100), every 2 or 3 years.

I had a Seagull on our boat and removed it. When the filter was idle for a while the organics in the cartridge would off gas and you got a sulfur smell when you first opened the faucet. It stopped after you flushed it for a few seconds. I would have kept it and just changed filters every few months but the $100 price wasn't worth it. I put in a standard household charcoal filter. It doesn't have the specs a Seagull has but then I am not filling up in foreign ports.
Dave

I put in a standard household charcoal filter. It doesn't have the specs a Seagull has but then I am not filling up in foreign ports.
:iagree:

Attachments

• IMG_5129.jpg
    IMG_5129.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5125.jpg
    IMG_5125.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 106
>I expect to replace the filter (currently retailing for $100), every 2 or 3 years.<

A std house water filter , IF fitted with an element with the same specs will cost less

The filter elements come in a HUGE variety of specifications , the good ones cost the most.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom