Espar Diesel Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
I bought and installed an espar on the boat last weekend and was suprised at how easly the instillation went.

I went with the D4 Right around $2,000.00

Nice little unit.* This weekend I will see how well it does. The weather is perdicted to be around* 0 deg.

SD

RE: Espar diesel heater

How hot do the fittings get where the exhaust exits the boat?* Do these units draw combustion air from outside?* Just wondering.*

JohnP wrote:

How hot do the fittings get where the exhaust exits the boat?* Do these units draw combustion air from outside?* Just wondering.*
The kit came with a thru hull fitting and a heat resistant tube to go around the exhaust pipe. All you need is 2 inches of clearance.* You can take the combustion air from outside but that means drilling an other hole in the hull or cabin. I have plenty of room where I mounted the unit so I pull the combustion air from inside.

SD

Sounds Good,* Let us know how it works. Your in the right place to test it out!

Wabasto's take their intake and exhaust from the same thru-hull. It has an inner tube and an outer sleeve just like the furnace in my house. Skip * *...I sure hope you bought one w a high enough output * * ...I didn't. *At less than 30 degrees my Wabasto runs all the time.But when I get my oil stove installed that should,nt be a problem. In Alaska I want three independent sources of heat. If I was out in an anchorage now at 13 degrees and the Wabasto quit I'd need to run my engine all the time for the bus heater. Not good.
I think there is an advantage to drawing combustion air from inside as it draws the drier air in from outside.

I looked at and talked to other boaters in the harbor with Espars.
As I also have a Dickenson diesel stove I should have all the heat I need.
When running I have the red dot off the engine and the dry stack runs up thru the head.
Makes for a nice warm place to take a...

SD

SD can you caculate how many gal of fuel you use in a 24 hr period and tell me the outside temp and your room temp?

I'll check it out this weekend when I am on the boat.

SD

Albin 43,As I recall you are a liveaboard and you should know these little diesel furnaces aren't recommended for continuous use. However I've seen them used that way. Look at a Toyo heating oil stove. They're everywhere here in Alaska. Only about $500 too.

they are recommended for 400-600 hrs per year max. i had an espar in my boat and removed it, wasnt working anyways. I installed a boiler (burnham) and it works well, im just wondering what type of fuel the espar uses so i could compare it to my boiler.

Our Espar uses diesel, although the previous owner used kerosene; no changes required to switch between the fuels.

I used to sell the Espar units (1970) and have a few simple mods if required.

In those days the hassle was starting the units was done with a glow plug .

Is there a modern ignition or still the same old glow plug?

FF** They do have something new it is called a glow pin.

I tested it out this weekend.

When I got to the boat it was -3 deg bolow zero the wind was at a steady 20 knt with gusts to 50. or -38 deg below zero with the wind chill factored in.

I fired it up and in about a half hour I could take off my coat and gloves.I got tired of waiting and fired up the Bristol.
At that temperature it needed a little something xtra to kick it over the top.
I ran it on high the rest of the weekend and burned about 2 gallons of diesel.
With the stove and the Espar both going the boat was nice and warm all weekend long including the V berth which I usually keep closed up.

SD

Espar diesel heater

Our Webasto is a 2020 Diesel Boiler 300, 104,000 BTU, 1.1 gallons per hour.* When the weather is in the 20 and 30 F we use 30 to 40 gallons per week or 0.25 gph.* (40/(7X24)).* Fires for about 8 to 10 minutes and off 30 to 40 minutes.* *By increasing the injectors it can be increase to 120,000 BTU. *We burn #2 diesel.*

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Monday 17th of January 2011 05:27:50 PM

"They do have something new it is called a glow pin."

The early ones had a Bosch coil that would fire it off.

The problem was these are actually built for trucks and buses , 14.3 volts is the expected operating voltage.

Espar use a big external coil to lower the voltage for the 7,5V Bosch glow plug to 6 volts for longer life.

In a boat where 12.8V might be in the batts floating but l , starting the unit at about 20A the voltage drop meant far less , about 4.5 to 5.5 at the glow plug.

Kerosene helped units on thermostats with frequent starting, but the best cure was a set of snips , chopping a resistance coil or two , giving 7 volts to the coil , in actual on board start sequence.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom