Old 07-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I would not carpet anything in my engine room unless they are now making suitable engine room carpet....

Certainly not with anything absorbent and definitely not permanent. There are soft mats that are easy on your knees and you can still wipe up spills or exhaust soot off of them and it won't retain the odor as badly.

Another consideration would be the fire hazard...yes a small one but still something that can be avoided by using more suitable materials.

I also would be careful of carpet underlayment unless it is closed cell and has a film surface over it. One high pressure diesel leak or exhaust leak and most foams would smell and become a fire hazard.

If you are willing to replace carpet or underlayment regularly or after every little spill, etc....then it certainly lessens the issues I mentioned.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I would not carpet anything in my engine room unless they are now making suitable engine room carpet....
I was wondering if anyone would mention that. To be honest though, I don't suppose flammability is an issue since the fumes created by even a small carpet fire would probably kill everyone before the fire became a problem.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #23

City: Hong Kong
They are all valid points that has to be considered before carpeting the engine room.
Thanks.
Searios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I can't imagine how loud your engine must be to have to go to all this trouble to reduce the ambient sound! I have a Cummins 330B on my little boat and the sound actually "sooth's" me! I think that the sound from a Detroit 6-71 is one of the best (albeit loud) sounds in boating. It actually puts some people to sleep.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searios View Post
.... tools and bits stay put if the boat is rolling and it absorbs smaller amounts of water or fuel before it goes into the bilge.
???????????? You are kidding, right?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #26

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
I have never used this, but there is a company that makes soft sound shields. I've always thought that covering my (incredibly noisy) main with this would be cool:

Custom generator covers | Great Southern Insulation

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #27

City: Fulton TX
Vessel Name: The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
Personally I wouldnt be putting anything on the ER floor...however cork or another sound absorbent on non horizontal sound reflecting surfaces as well as either boxing in the engines (with adequate and well designed ventilation) and or adding to the existing insulation on the ER roof sounds like the way to go...

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #28
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I think that the sound from a Detroit 6-71 is one of the best (albeit loud) sounds in boating. It actually puts some people to sleep.
Couldn't agree with you more on that Walt. My admiral on the other hand does not. Our compromise was the gasser with nice open exhaust.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Hudson Valley
Hi Folks,

My 1980's trawler had basic foam insulation that was breaking down and making a big mess. I replaced it with this and the difference in sound levels was substantial.

http://shop.soundabsorbingmaterial.n...Sht-NOISE1.htm

The folks at the above company were also very helpful.

Cheers,
Rick
Rick. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:26 AM   #30

City: Bangkok
Vessel Name: TRAMP
Vessel Model: Seahorse 52, 2002
Interesting thread.
Coming from sailboats, I really want to reduce engine noise throughout. Sure, there are plenty of soundproofing "sheet" materials out there, which the manufacturers attempt to market with features such as "self-adhesive" etc, but the fact remains, the engine room walls are cluttered with pipes, cables, pumps etc. etc. So, bearing in mind that there should be no gaps, without significant work - removal of ALL (wall, ceiling) fixed appliances - a tidy and successful soundproofing solution in the engine room surely cannot be achieved using sheet materials... Thoughts?
JohnInBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #31
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInBKK View Post
Interesting thread.
Coming from sailboats, I really want to reduce engine noise throughout. Sure, there are plenty of soundproofing "sheet" materials out there, which the manufacturers attempt to market with features such as "self-adhesive" etc, but the fact remains, the engine room walls are cluttered with pipes, cables, pumps etc. etc. So, bearing in mind that there should be no gaps, without significant work - removal of ALL (wall, ceiling) fixed appliances - a tidy and successful soundproofing solution in the engine room surely cannot be achieved using sheet materials... Thoughts?
I was thinking the same thoughts John. It would be virtually impossible to box off my engine compartment in sheet soundproofing material. It is a small area with a proper "wall" only on one side.
However - after thinking about it. I wouldn't want to get a perfect seal as it would cut off air circulation. I only need to have a soundproof barrier between the engine and areas where people are.

The way I see it, I plan on first concentration on getting good soundproofing on the underside of the deck and hatches. There is minimal accessories attached above the engine other than wiring harnesses, which are easy to rerun on top of the soundproofing.
Next, I'd concentrate on ensuring there is a good seal on all hatches, using good weatherstripping.
I feel that these two areas will give me the biggest bang for my buck. The sides are less important unless it is a direct barrier to a lower living area. Most of the side areas would benefit with something to absorb noise, but having a complete seal is nowhere near as important as with the barrier above the engine.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #32
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInBKK View Post
So, bearing in mind that there should be no gaps, without significant work - removal of ALL (wall, ceiling) fixed appliances - a tidy and successful soundproofing solution in the engine room surely cannot be achieved using sheet materials... Thoughts?
I did the significant work. I used sounddown sheets over silent running paint. It was very successful.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #33

City: Manila
Vessel Name: Carabao
Vessel Model: Home built power tri
It’s also effective to soft mount noisy equipment (pumps, fans, transformers, exhaust) 'Rubber Design's catalog is full of great ideas and products and may be worth a phone call.
Boatgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #34
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The little Albin 25 was light years ahead in engine noise and more. The engine is in a compartment (sound insulated). The compartment has a top (about 75% of the compartment) and a bottom. There is a rubber seal around the base of the top part and it hinges as does part of the cabin bulkhead .. to accommodate the eng com top to swing open. Anything that falls or drips off the engine goes into the bottom of the compartment and it is gel coated white on the inside. So cleaning is a snap and even very small engine parts can be clearly seen and reached. The compartment is air tight except for the 2 holes in the side of the engine beds that lead aft through the engine beds and beyond to the transom ... up the transom to the vents on the aft deck. All the air in the engine compartment comes through those two vents. Diesel smells inside the boat are greatly reduced and engine heat is kept mostly outside the boat.

Once you've had an A25 (built in Sweden) all other boats are something less. There is much else to admire in the A25 design too. If I sound like I wish I had my A25 back ..... there is more than a little truth in that.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #35
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Please give a thought to the flammability of the materials you are planning to introduce to your engine compartment...
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #36
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Go into your engine room and turn off the lights. Every where you see light coming in sound is getting out. Plug those holes first.
You will be amazed at how much that little bit does to reduce the noise.

The Iphone has an app to measure decibels. Great little diagnostic tool for measuring sound.

SD
Old 10-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #37
FF
Guru

I did the significant work. I used sounddown sheets over silent running paint. It was very successful.

By chance did you operate any time JUST with the paint?

Did it work???
FF is offline   Reply With Quote