Enclosure screens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeyJude

Vessel Name
HEY JUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Judy wants to sew the new enclosures for HEY JUDE, has the old ones to patten off of, bought the recommended SailRite sewing machine & lots of stuff to begin.* The one thing she didn't think to order was the*screen material & when she called today they said they didn't sell any, that to use screen material from a box store.* I'm reluctant to do that until it's proven correct.

Anyone have screen material recommendations?

Our local Home Depot has a large section dedicated to screening material. Lot's of descriptive verbiage about what to use for what.
Take a look.

We do not need screens the boat is air conditioned.*
biggrin.gif

The Seattle/Puget Sound as a whole does not have many flying insects.* In the summer we have a bug zapper but not many bugs get zapped. *Also the easiest is to point a fan at the opening as they will not fly.*Stores keep bugs out with an air curtain/negative pressure inside.* You ever go in a store and have your hair wind blown messed up?**
confuse.gif

Any large hardware supply will have perfectly good screen materials. I'm not sure about Lake Travis, but here in south Florida, regular screen material won't do for us. We need to buy the screens made to keep out the no-see-ums. Be sure and NOT get the metal screen materials. Chuck

I got the pieces and parts for mine from mosquitocurtains.com.* They were very helpful about making sure I had everything I needed to complete my project.* I ended up using magnets from kjmagnetics instead of the ones I bought from mosquito curtains.* Matt counter sunk them into the wood on the door frame and they are very inconspicuous.* Two small round magnets on each side of the door.*

Yea, buy one, get one free for $19.95 plus P&H. It's closer to $50 once they add everything up. I hear Wal-Mart has some similar items for a lot cheaper.

Pineapple Girl wrote:
I got the pieces and parts for mine from mosquitocurtains.com.* They were very helpful about making sure I had everything I needed to complete my project.* I ended up using magnets from kjmagnetics instead of the ones I bought from mosquito curtains.* Matt counter sunk them into the wood on the door frame and they are very inconspicuous.* Two small round magnets on each side of the door.*
You'll need those screens for the nights at Mildred Island this summer, PG.* Those little gnats come for a visit with a million of their closest friends.* Once we trusted our screens there, only to have those little buggers find the gaps we had not yet noticed. Had to break out the shop vac to clean 'em all up.

I like the look of those Magic Mesh screens.*

I purchased the Magic Mesh screens a few weeks ago for a total of $35.66 ($19.99 plus S&H) and you buy one set and get one set free. *They are plastic thread, glued on seams, with light weight magnets. *The vertical pattern in the mesh varies somewhat along the length of the screen. *Self sticking velcro is supplied to attach them to the door frame. Also, made in China, of course.*

I got a tailor to cut them down to match the size of the salon door and decided to purchase a better velcro and have it sewn on the screen. *The next step is glue the velcro to the door frame. *I'll let you know how well they work. *

Thanks all for your suggestions. Will post when we decide what material we'll use.

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask about screen mesh size. I'm getting a 3 sided, 6 panel cockpit enclosure fabricated for our Rosborough 246 with 6 screened zip open "smiles".

The question I have is whether would make our cockpit cooler to have a dense 90% blockage screen like the privacy screens used on the outside of boat windows or something more open like household screen material that would let in more air but also more light.
We used some household screen material to make a cockpit enclosure for a small sailboat we used to have and I was impressed how much warm air was retained in the cockpit with the screen up given its' large surface area. That experience is making me think the better strategy may be to keep more sunlight out in the first place rather than worry about more airflow.
To answer "where are you using your boat?", we are up north in the summer and down south in the winter-- one of the benefits of having wheels available.
I'd appreciate any insight or experience.
--Mike

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom