Old 01-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Emergency bilge pump

Has anyone ever installed one of these electric Pacer Pumps the Chief read the article on Hamiltons knock down and now wants to get one installed next haul out.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Are you planning on installing a foot valve to keep it preprimed? If you need that seconds count, think I would something that was a flip of the switch. If it's going to be AC power, think I would rather have a sealed submersible.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I would use that setup.....just enough gph.

If you want to rid a boat of water...use what the salvage guys use....which is that but usually with a gas engine.

A trash pump either driven by engine, genset, or separate diesel or gas engine.

even the combined Rule Evacuator 8000 (8000gph....well sort of) is one that is used by them and it is 12V.

If I was going offshore regularly...I would mount a gas trash pump permanently with a quick connect gas line from the tank like the USCG has on their drop pumps. I would store the gas tank topsides if the pump was below decks.

If I thought I would be running a large genset all the time...that pump would fit the bill too. Just keep a gallon of water next to it if it needs primo g and keep the pump body full of antifreeze with anticorrosion on additives in it.

The antifreeze may be enough to keep it self primed.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I have a giant engine-driven pump with a clutch. Just throw the lever and away it goes. I have never had it apart and short of flooding the bilge where the pickup is, I've never tested it. Now I'm worried that it might have a Jabsco-like rubber impeller, which to me sound idiotic as it would either take a set or perish in there, never having worked at all, such that I will either have to change the impeller regularly or hope for the best. Guess when I go to the boat Monday, I'll take it apart. I also have a fire pump which is probably the same technology. It shoots salt water a long way, good for getting jet-skiers!

Get a trash pump, but don't mount it in the engine room, it might be useful for pumping out a neighbour or putting out a fire. Get fire hoses too.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
FF
Guru

While we have a 2 inch clutched Jabsco for bilge and fire use , its main use has been to squirt at jet skiers.

On the other hand out EMERGENCY bilge pump is a 1 1/2 inch Edson hand pump on a board with 2 - 20 ft hoses .

That has been useful in a number of dock emergencies when I lived aboard.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
Guru

The trouble with that setup, FF, is how long can you pump?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Oliver, I'm in favor of big pumps. That pump will move a lot of water. It is self priming as long as there is water in the pump housing. I would keep a gallon or two of water in jugs near by to prime it if you have to.

I like Teds idea of a big submersible. You don't worry about priming and if it clogs, you just pull it up and clear it.

I also like the idea of a portable pump. I keep a gasoline driven pump at my store in case one of the boats on my dock takes on water.

The problem is, I bet it won't start without cleaning the carb. It just sits too long. I'm sure the gasoline is stale as well.

If I had the sense God gave an ant, I'd convert it to propane. Propane powered engines can sit for years and then start right up. You can also store propane forever without it going bad.

In an emergency I believe in using every pump available. To that end I've rigged my engine's raw water pump so I can draw from the bilge. Someone will jump in and say "You'll ruin your engine. It will get blocked by bilge debris." I'll risk it. The water goes through my regular sea strainer and I can clean that pretty quick. The engine would be ruined anyway if the boat sinks.

I'm not a fan of manual pumps. Even a little Rule will move more water in the long run. It takes a lot of energy to keep a manual pump working. While you're working the pump, you're not stopping the leak.

Who's going to say the best bilge pump is a scared man with a bucket? Not me.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
http://www.fastflowpump.com/Fast%20F...20Magazine.pdf
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #9
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
"In an emergency I believe in using every pump available. To that end I've rigged my engine's raw water pump so I can draw from the bilge."

That is what I was going to suggest. I was told of this method years ago but never quite got around to doing it. My Detroits have a 3" intake, can't help but feel that would outpace any bilge pump. Also HopCar I'm with you on possible damage. If it sinks then what's the point of worrying about the engine.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Consider a sewage pump, a heavy duty trash pump (super bilge pump) that just needs the inlet to be covered with water to pump. Made to pump chunks so clogging is not usually a problem. We used these all over the power plant to pump out river silt. Drop it in with a rope, plug it in, and go do other stuff.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I like the idea of an electric high capacity bilge pump

It needs to be completely submersible though. It won't do any good if the thing shorts out if the motor gets wet. It won't do any good in an emergency of you have to do anything other than flip a a switch.

It also has to be non corrosive because it won't do any good if it won't work when you need it.

something like this

$500 at grainger.com. All stainless construction. 45 GPM at 5' head. 120 volt 6.5 amps
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:28 PM   #12
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Oliver, I'm in favor of big pumps. That pump will move a lot of water. It is self priming as long as there is water in the pump housing. I would keep a gallon or two of water in jugs near by to prime it if you have to.

The problem is, I bet it won't start without cleaning the carb. It just sits too long. I'm sure the gasoline is stale as well.

If I had the sense God gave an ant, I'd convert it to propane. Propane powered engines can sit for years and then start right up. You can also store propane forever without it going bad.

Who's going to say the best bilge pump is a scared man with a bucket? Not me.
Hopcar,

You can do what I do... just go to the local small airport and buy a few gallons of 100ll avgas, it is what I keep in the stand by genset at the ranch. No ethanol and higher octane so it seems to keep for much longer. Once a year I dump the stuff in the John Deere mower and it really runs great. Of course it is over 2X the cost per gallon but who cares when it's a few gallons.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
The pacer pump, even with 20' of head, will move over 16,000 GPH. There is just no comparison to a Rule or other pump like that. The Rule's 8000 GPH is very optimistic with little to no head.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:39 PM   #14
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Hollywood, I'll try that. The problem is I really like the smell of av gas. I'll probably start sniffing it.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:52 PM   #15
Guru

Thanks all for the ideas, going to contact ABT and see if my current hydro pump for the stabilizers can also run a pacer pump. That'd be best, but if I have to upgrade the pump on the engine I'm not going to do it. Like Peter said said I don't think any rule can match this pump. I mean come on guys, it'd have to be over 280GPM. I don't like the fully submersible units for the fact that they're so big and bulky to put down in the bilge not to mention the salt getting to it, and they pump nowhere near the capacity.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 01-29-2015, 10:56 PM   #16
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 4712. Check out the link in post#8 (Mr. 11). To me, that looked REALLY interesting. No electricity 12V/110V/220V/550V...needed. Evidently up to 900gpm. 1 moving part from what I could tell.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 4712. Check out the link in post#8 (Mr. 11). To me, that looked REALLY interesting. No electricity 12V/110V/220V/550V...needed. 1 moving part from what I could tell.

Yes, but I don't really want to get into making a custom support (FG work), and I just don't really like the idea.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 01-30-2015, 03:16 AM   #18
Guru

With the Fastflow pump you'd be roaring around in circles while the Coast Guard was trying to catch you to pump you out! Something out of Keystone Cops!
Old 01-30-2015, 07:27 AM   #19
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
With the Fastflow pump you'd be roaring around in circles while the Coast Guard was trying to catch you to pump you out! Something out of Keystone Cops!
Actually...the USCG would prefer you underway for boarding with their own gear or hoisting it down by helo. Much safer than dead in the water.

But I do see what you are saying that you probably have to stop or slow sometime.

It shouldn't be your only pump...but one of its predecessors yeas ago also touted it as a blower while waiting for your boat to flood.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
In a salt water environment pumps which are not used tend to freeze up. Found this out after only five years. Have switched to a 110v fully submersible sump pump which I use a couple of times a year to bail out the dinghy. Of course if we were holed I would much rather have the Pacer pump.