Which Electric Toilet Is Best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
I am going to replace the toilet in my New to me tug. I have used a Jabsco Electric fresh water toilet since 2005. It worked OK, but I thought the macerator was weak and the seal between the base and the motor was not designed well. But the unit is quite and parts are available. I am also looking at a Raritan, which I have no experience with.
Looking for suggestions for a new fresh water electric toilet.

I like my Raritan Marine Elegance with the smart controller. I like the small water consumption and the large bowl/seat.

Raritan Marine Elegance- best toilet IMO. Quiet and economical water wise.

When we replaced our ancient units a couple of years ago we were down to the Raritan Marine Elegance or the Vacuflush. We ended up with the Vacuflush and are very happy with it. Quiet and low water usage - I believe it uses less water than the Raritan, although when we deliberating we couldn't get a usage figure from Raritan. But either one would be a good unit I think.

Look into Tecma toilets. Ours are 12 years old and have had zero issues. I have installed Vacuflush for a friend and IMO they have to many moving parts. I carry a spare assembly that cost $365. Its the entire unit, no other parts needed. Pump motor is a powerful 40 amps and has a 6 sec on, 4 minute off duty cycle.

We've had zero problems out of our fresh water, Raritan elegance, smart model.

Conall

Almost had to shut down the Tecma video before it got to the operation page.

Soon as the animated person walked into the head.....I had to look around to make sure no one was looking at my screen...:D

In a recent comparison of macerating electric toilets, Practical Sailor rated the Raritan Marine Elegance the best....the Raritan SeaEra as best "budget" choice. Designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water, adding a remote intake pump and the "SeaFresh" system to the Elegance will allow you to alternate between fresh water and sea water at will. The optional ""Smart Flush" panel provides four flush options including dry bowl and water in only.

Raritan and Groco (who offers only 2 toilets, both manual) are the only two U.S. companies who still manufacture in the U.S. and offer equipment made to last more than a couple of years. Jabsco is now made in Mexico using components made in China and other countries...Tecma--the only toilet Thetford now offers--is also made offshore. Wilcox-Crittenden is gone. Sad....

Tecma And Raritan Marine elegance are my top picks. Love how simple the Tecma is, but our Raritans have served us well with no problems so can't discredit them.

I sell Jabsco, Groco, and Raritan toilets. If I was buying an electric toilet for my self it would be a Raritan Marine Elegance. I would also go for the Seafresh flush option. Flush most of the time with raw water and once a day give it a fresh water flush to clean it out.

I have one older Jabsco that I converted to fresh water, and a Sea Era I installed 8 years ago when I bought the boat.
I would say they are both equal in performance and noise.

Since I have had the Jabsco and was not impressed with the performance and life of the gaskets I am leaning towards the Raritan with all of the positive input.

We've had both the Jabsco Quiet-flush and the Raritan Marine Elegance and would recommend the Marine Elegance. It's quieter, seems more effective, and seems to use less water.

Which Electric Toilet Is Best?

I would first look to purchase a rebuild kit for what ever you decide is first choice and decide IF you can install it.

Can it be operated manually?

If not, a second head that is manual might be a choice for a boat with 2 heads.

Or just stow the manual unit till its required.

Sadly as the politicos "do something" just to be seen,

I believe the entire coast eventually will be NO DISCHARGE everywhere.

A composting unit then becomes a rational choice.

I have always been a dyed-in-the-wool vacuflush guy. However, when I bought the Californian a couple years ago to live on, I knew that I wanted to replace the worn-out old Raritan Crowns. After much study and discussion, Peggy convinced me to go with the Raritan Marine Elegance heads. So I have been living with and using them for about a year and a half now, and I have to say that I could not be happier with these heads and their Smartflush panels. So glad that I went with what the Headmistress recommended!

Attachments

• Head Comparison.jpg
    Head Comparison.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 284
Pulled up the parts drawings of the Raritan Marine Elegance. It looks a lot like the Tecma design. The pricing on the Raritan is better.

When re-fitting Snow Mouse for her trip from Ireland to the Med I had 3 old Blake's manual toilet, while they looked grotty they still worked perfectly.
First mate wanted a toilet with no crevices or difficult to reach parts for absolute cleanliness. I wanted to support Hopcar as he'd supplied me previously but the shipping was too steep and made the deal unworkable.
We finally settled on an Italian built electric flush from SVB24, price was good and delivery swift.
I realise this post would not suit US boaters but it may well help someone in European waters.

Irish, Thanks for the kind words. It is expensive to ship toilets across the Atlantic.

PGITUG, I'd love the opportunity to quote you on what ever toilet you decide on.
Miami is not so far from Punta Gorda Isles.

Your welcome Hopcar. We could do a deal no problem but the darn freight was out of our hands.
I wish you a successful 2016.

After 20 years and various cheaper electric toilets, ( I started with a domestic flush toilet and no macerator) I recently fitted a couple of TECMA silence plus units. Everybody loves me.
I also love me, no more toilet hassels, no more macerator pump blockages or fails.
I have had these toilets on Tidahapah now for approx 2 years,life is bliss.
They are efficient and quiet.No body has trouble in understanding how they opperate ot to be opperated.
They are saltwater flush and if I am leaving the boat for any period of time I turn off the salt water and give them a couple of fresh water flushes.
Love em.

After 20 years and various cheaper electric toilets, ( I started with a domestic flush toilet and no macerator) I recently fitted a couple of TECMA silence plus units. Everybody loves me.
I also love me, no more toilet hassels, no more macerator pump blockages or fails.
I have had these toilets on Tidahapah now for approx 2 years,life is bliss.
They are efficient and quiet.No body has trouble in understanding how they opperate ot to be opperated.
They are saltwater flush and if I am leaving the boat for any period of time I turn off the salt water and give them a couple of fresh water flushes.
Love em.

I have a manually operated SW flush toilet. If I shut boat up for a week should I be flushing with FW and shutting seacock ?

I do get some "head smell" when I re- enter the boat but figured it was hoses.

My wife hates the manual pump toilet we have, but it works so I would like to leave it for now. If we keep the boat long term I guess I will upgrade to an electric version.

So these elec toilets have a built in macerator? Does this help reduce clogs? Other reason for an elec toilet?

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. dude. I can't say which electric toilet to get BUT I can state adamantly if your wife hates the manual toilet, regardless of the length of time you anticipate keeping the boat, CHANGE TO ELECTRIC NOW!

As far as shutting the seacock and flushing with fresh? Yes, that should help with the odor.

It absolutely essential to flush any toilet really very well, be it electric or manual so that any waste is expulsed, not only out of sight, but right out of the boat.
If you just pump liquid p out of sight the Urea acid will build up a lining of calcium on the inside of the hoses to a point where in a few years the toilet will hardly flush at all.
One very cheap and efficient method of keeping toilets clean is to buy White Vinegar of around 13% strength.
Once a week, or when leaving the boat after the weekend, pour in the toilet a litre (2quarts) of white vinegar and pump it slowly until it's just out of sight, this solution will sterilize the hoses and dissolve any hard deposits in the toilet mechanism and hoses.
Follow this and you'll be flushed with success !

Will the acid in the vinegar harm an aluminum holding tank?

Greetings,
Mr. dude. I can't say which electric toilet to get BUT I can state adamantly if your wife hates the manual toilet, regardless of the length of time you anticipate keeping the boat, CHANGE TO ELECTRIC NOW!

As far as shutting the seacock and flushing with fresh? Yes, that should help with the odor.

That's really her main complaint. Guess I need to address it, but I dread having to run wires all the way from my batteries for an elec toilet. Or maybe I can use the existing wires from the macerator ?

When running wires for an electric toilet they need to be thick enough to carry the current of the toilet pumps with it's inbuilt macerator, from memory I think mine are sufficient to carry 20 amps.
The vinegar shouldn't harm your tanks at all as any Urea acid in the pipes or the holding tank will be actually neutralized. The quantities in relation to volume of water are insufficient to cause any problems.

Another vote strongly in favour of Tecma...I have two installed. Raritan Elegance appears to be a copy. I would never, ever have a Vacu-flush system, based on living with one for 3 weeks on a chartered GB and the experience of dock neighbours and cruising club members.

Wife listened to a VacUflush and we bought a Raritan. Have no idea what model. It has the low volume flush and full flush + "fill bowl". We use freash water only and it does macerate. It's 10 years old now and it's been flawless push button service.

Slight hijack

I have had a couple of Tecma toilets for about 10 years on Sarawana, overall they have worked pretty well.

Recently when the unit completes the flush cycle there is a squeaking noise that gradually slows down then stops.Sounds like the macerator is catching on something. I have tried pouring some sunflower oil in the pan, this helps a little.

Anyone with a Tecma encounter this before.

Cheers

Andy

"My wife hates the manual pump toilet we have, but it works so I would like to leave it for now. If we keep the boat long term I guess I will upgrade to an electric version."

Some manual toilets are very easy to hate,

one has to stick ones head almost in the bowl to push pull a tiny pump handle.

Perhaps a Quality full sized unit with an easy to use while standing handle wouls be fine.

Ask your dock buddies if anyone has a Skipper or Groco K , and will allow the bride a flush or two.

On a goos manual the maint is almost non existant.

A bit of fresh water in the toilet bowl before leaving leaves no sea life to die and stink while you are absent.

The taller bowl of a good manual unit will also mean less near misses from gents , underway..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom