Old 01-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #21
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Which Electric Toilet Is Best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
After 20 years and various cheaper electric toilets, ( I started with a domestic flush toilet and no macerator) I recently fitted a couple of TECMA silence plus units. Everybody loves me.
I also love me, no more toilet hassels, no more macerator pump blockages or fails.
I have had these toilets on Tidahapah now for approx 2 years,life is bliss.
They are efficient and quiet.No body has trouble in understanding how they opperate ot to be opperated.
They are saltwater flush and if I am leaving the boat for any period of time I turn off the salt water and give them a couple of fresh water flushes.
Love em.

I have a manually operated SW flush toilet. If I shut boat up for a week should I be flushing with FW and shutting seacock ?

I do get some "head smell" when I re- enter the boat but figured it was hoses.

My wife hates the manual pump toilet we have, but it works so I would like to leave it for now. If we keep the boat long term I guess I will upgrade to an electric version.

So these elec toilets have a built in macerator? Does this help reduce clogs? Other reason for an elec toilet?

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. dude. I can't say which electric toilet to get BUT I can state adamantly if your wife hates the manual toilet, regardless of the length of time you anticipate keeping the boat, CHANGE TO ELECTRIC NOW!

As far as shutting the seacock and flushing with fresh? Yes, that should help with the odor.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #23
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
It absolutely essential to flush any toilet really very well, be it electric or manual so that any waste is expulsed, not only out of sight, but right out of the boat.
If you just pump liquid p out of sight the Urea acid will build up a lining of calcium on the inside of the hoses to a point where in a few years the toilet will hardly flush at all.
One very cheap and efficient method of keeping toilets clean is to buy White Vinegar of around 13% strength.
Once a week, or when leaving the boat after the weekend, pour in the toilet a litre (2quarts) of white vinegar and pump it slowly until it's just out of sight, this solution will sterilize the hoses and dissolve any hard deposits in the toilet mechanism and hoses.
Follow this and you'll be flushed with success !
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #24
Guru

Will the acid in the vinegar harm an aluminum holding tank?
Old 01-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. dude. I can't say which electric toilet to get BUT I can state adamantly if your wife hates the manual toilet, regardless of the length of time you anticipate keeping the boat, CHANGE TO ELECTRIC NOW!

As far as shutting the seacock and flushing with fresh? Yes, that should help with the odor.

That's really her main complaint. Guess I need to address it, but I dread having to run wires all the way from my batteries for an elec toilet. Or maybe I can use the existing wires from the macerator ?
Old 01-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #26
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
When running wires for an electric toilet they need to be thick enough to carry the current of the toilet pumps with it's inbuilt macerator, from memory I think mine are sufficient to carry 20 amps.
The vinegar shouldn't harm your tanks at all as any Urea acid in the pipes or the holding tank will be actually neutralized. The quantities in relation to volume of water are insufficient to cause any problems.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #27
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Another vote strongly in favour of Tecma...I have two installed. Raritan Elegance appears to be a copy. I would never, ever have a Vacu-flush system, based on living with one for 3 weeks on a chartered GB and the experience of dock neighbours and cruising club members.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Wife listened to a VacUflush and we bought a Raritan. Have no idea what model. It has the low volume flush and full flush + "fill bowl". We use freash water only and it does macerate. It's 10 years old now and it's been flawless push button service.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:24 AM   #29
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Slight hijack

I have had a couple of Tecma toilets for about 10 years on Sarawana, overall they have worked pretty well.

Recently when the unit completes the flush cycle there is a squeaking noise that gradually slows down then stops.Sounds like the macerator is catching on something. I have tried pouring some sunflower oil in the pan, this helps a little.

Anyone with a Tecma encounter this before.

Cheers

Andy
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:58 AM   #30
FF
Guru

"My wife hates the manual pump toilet we have, but it works so I would like to leave it for now. If we keep the boat long term I guess I will upgrade to an electric version."

Some manual toilets are very easy to hate,

one has to stick ones head almost in the bowl to push pull a tiny pump handle.

Perhaps a Quality full sized unit with an easy to use while standing handle wouls be fine.

Ask your dock buddies if anyone has a Skipper or Groco K , and will allow the bride a flush or two.

On a goos manual the maint is almost non existant.

A bit of fresh water in the toilet bowl before leaving leaves no sea life to die and stink while you are absent.

The taller bowl of a good manual unit will also mean less near misses from gents , underway..

FF is online now   Reply With Quote