Electric heads.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knotheadcharters

Vessel Name
Amar la Vida
Vessel Make
1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Alright, two weeks ago my forward heading stopped pumping water to flush. I replaced the impeller, it was worn but no broken vanes. Primed the hoses and guess what? Still not pumping flush water. The funny thing is that my Dad has had the same problem with his boat ALL summer. He has replaced every component on his toilet from the through hull to the bowl. He still cannot get it to flush. Yes the pick up is clear and not clogged with anything on both boats. We have different toilets and different pumps Etc. but the same problem??

Any ideas from the gurus?

Thanks

Alright, two weeks ago my forward heading stopped pumping water to flush. I replaced the impeller, it was worn but no broken vanes. Primed the hoses and guess what? Still not pumping flush water. The funny thing is that my Dad has had the same problem with his boat ALL summer. He has replaced every component on his toilet from the through hull to the bowl. He still cannot get it to flush. Yes the pick up is clear and not clogged with anything on both boats. We have different toilets and different pumps Etc. but the same problem??

Any ideas from the gurus?

Thanks

Assuming the head is saltwater flush, have you checked your vented loop?

its not in the flush, Don the toilet flushes fine, it's the seawater to rinse the bowl. If I pour water in the bowl everything goes out. I just don't have any "clean" read seawater flush water entering the bowl.

Happened to me once. Found a little bloated fish stuck in the intake line. Don't know how he made it past the intake strainer.

Nothing clogged just will not draw it up to enter the bowl.

Nothing clogged just will not draw it up to enter the bowl.

pretty basic but easily overlooked....is the shaft turning the impeller turning and is the "lock"...whatever type....that makes the impeller spin doing its job?

its not in the flush, Don the toilet flushes fine, it's the seawater to rinse the bowl. If I pour water in the bowl everything goes out. I just don't have any "clean" read seawater flush water entering the bowl.

You can still have a vented loop or anti-siphon valve in the intake

The pump housing could be worn beyond the point where a new impeller won't pull a suction.

There could be an air leak on the intake side.

Don, since a vented loop is designed to let air into a line it really shouldn't be in a suction line. I know people do it but it reduces the amount of water the pump will move. If you need to prevent water from siphoning into the toilet bowl, the vented loop should go between the pump and the bowl if possible.

Knothead, what brand and model toilet is it?

Sorry, can't help. Have a freshwater flush.

img_187556_0_8c1730137e89ce8b4476ee06e9a7f359.jpg

Not sure if this will help, however I have had a similar problem with identical symptoms you described.

My problem turned out to be with the raw water inlet. Try turning off your stop cock and undo the inlet pipe, my unit had a calcium build up restricting the flow. I mixed up a bit of acid in a bucket and dropped the pipe in.

Takes about 15 minutes, cleared the build up, and solved the problem.

I have two electric Tecma's, this problem has only happened on my aft unit, no idea why.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Edit: a photo of the offending part, the bent pipe had the calcium build up, virtually stopping the water flow.

Attachments

• raw water 2 002.jpg
    raw water 2 002.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Jelly fish or plastic bag blocking the intake under the boat. Stick a water hose in the inlet hose and reverse flush the intake.

Bob

Jabsco and TMC type toilet pumps use one motor to turn the seawater supply pump (flexible impeller) and the effluent pump (macerator) in unison on oposite sides of a wear plate. More than likely your overhaul has a defect allowing the intake pump to suck air and or effluent from the other side of the wear plate.

O.B. Thomas, P.E.

Jabsco and TMC type toilet pumps use one motor to turn the seawater supply pump (flexible impeller) and the effluent pump (macerator) in unison on oposite sides of a wear plate. More than likely your overhaul has a defect allowing the intake pump to suck air and or effluent from the other side of the wear plate.

O.B. Thomas, P.E.

Best answer IMO. If there is no clog, I would look for a vacuum leak next. Also check the hose connections at the through hull and the pump intake.

Hey guys thanks for the input. The unit is a Raritan Crown head electric toilet. I still haven't found the culprit yet. I have not pulled the intake hose off the seacock to check for flow but I have blown air through it and it does not appear to be clogged. I also pulled the check valve and there was a small rock in the housing but to no avail it still won't pull water. I am going to contact Raritan and see what they say.

Last edited:
I would pull the intake hose off the intake pump, lower the end below the waterline and see that the water flow is strong. I don't think blowing through the hose is a good enough check.

Are all the connections tight? No air getting into the intake line.

Is there a blockage between the intake pump and the bowl?

All of the above checks out? Replace the pump. You need part number
CH102MW.
Raritan used that stupid little plastic pump head on several of their products.

A friend had the same problem on his Raritan head, the proble was on the discharge side, the bowl was plugged with zebra mussels. I don't recall what he used to clean them out, but he rebuilt the pump & checked hoses before he discovered the problem.

No River Cruiser, two separate portions of the system, plus she flushes like a champ. I'll look again this weekend and see if I have a air leak.

Hi Knothead,

Sounds like a faulty exhaust hose. The exhaust hose should go upward to a point above the toilet and the waterline. At that point a vented loop is installed and the hose is routed downward to the thruhull. If your hose is routed directly to the thruhull without the vented loop all the water will drain out and no water will be left in the bowl.

Some heads have a separate intake pumps for pumping flush water into the bowl. Raritan has several Crown heads that do this. I'm looking at Get Rid of Boat Odors by Peggy Hall (The Marine Head Bible). She lists the Crown Head Centrifugal Discharge, Crown Head II, Crown Head Perm Mag, Atlantes pre 2002 and Atlantes post 2002. Which one is yours? All have separate intake pumps. Is it possible you simply don't have the Flush Water pump hooked up so that it can be operated independently?

Pete37

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom