Old 11-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Eberspacher/clone diesel forced air heaters

I've installed several of these units over the years in RVs strictly by the install manuals. I know they are popular with boats. I plan to have one or two aboard my boat. I stumbled upon this guys videos. He has a lot of videos based on the Eberspacher clones. He has experience with both plus the Webasto units. His videos go deep into the installation and making them last while also running quietly and reliably. He goes deep into how and why, and shows exactly why and how. He also has a good video on diagnosing and repairing the units. After seeing his videos I have more faith in the units and my ability to install them aboard my boat.

I hope his videos help others even if they never touch their heater other than to operate them. Remember the clones are near identical copies of Eberspacher and Wabesto units. What works for the clones should work for the name brands.

Videos. https://www.youtube.com/user/johnmck1147/videos

The video that really helped me with understanding the inner workings.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:10 AM   #2

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 (1998)
Ben - Thanks for the link. Great information. My Eberspacher has always been touchy but something I've lived with. These videos gives me ideas for future upgrades.
NWSeadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:54 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
We looked at these recently. The issue seemed to be getting the hot exhaust pipe through the hull or elsewhere without burning the boat. One "original" version, can`t recall the brand, cunningly runs the exhaust line inside a wider tube comprising the air intake.
A marina neighbour fitted one to his small RV. Says he would have mounted it under the floor if he had his time over but, main concern is even on low, the RV gets too warm, so he opens a window. In a demo,it ran fast with some fan like noise, then throttled back to quiet. He seems pleased with it.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
We looked at these recently. The issue seemed to be getting the hot exhaust pipe through the hull or elsewhere without burning the boat. One "original" version, can`t recall the brand, cunningly runs the exhaust line inside a wider tube comprising the air intake.
A marina neighbour fitted one to his small RV. Says he would have mounted it under the floor if he had his time over but, main concern is even on low, the RV gets too warm, so he opens a window. In a demo,it ran fast with some fan like noise, then throttled back to quiet. He seems pleased with it.
The Wallas furnaces (www.wallas.fi) are designed for boats. They have the intake and exhaust that you are describing.

The intake is a larger tube, and the exhaust is a smaller tube that runs inside the larger intake tube.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSeadog View Post
Ben - Thanks for the link. Great information. My Eberspacher has always been touchy but something I've lived with. These videos gives me ideas for future upgrades.

You're welcome. There's probably some minor issue causing it to be fussy. Really simple little heaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post

There are thru hulls designed specifically for passing the exhaust through the hull.

$55! Cheaper than I thought. There are a few sizes to chose from.
https://www.amazon.com/marine-stainl...language=en_US

The controller sets how fast and hard the heater runs when it's powered on to heat. There are several controllers available for the clones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
The Wallas furnaces (www.wallas.fi) are designed for boats. They have the intake and exhaust that you are describing.

The intake is a larger tube, and the exhaust is a smaller tube that runs inside the larger intake tube.

Those are good little units. Seems weird to have the exhaust and intake run together like that. I have an oil furnace in one of my mobiles homes that is set up like that and it runs to the roof. Nordyne took over Intertherm. They say my furnace is a poor design with many problems and I agree. I wonder if the smaller size of the Wallas is why they work so well. My furnace is rated at 80k to 120k btu depending on the fuel used. It can run on kerosene #1/#2,diesel #1/#2 propane, natural gas, heating oil #1/#2. All it takes is a nozzle change and setting the intake combustion air. I used #2 heating oil. It was the cheapest.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:35 AM   #6
FF
Guru

One advantage of the combined intake exhaust is the air being consumed is outside air , un heated , that you did not pay to heat.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote