Old 11-13-2014, 07:21 AM   #41
City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
For what it's worth, I checked the power consumption label on a 24,000 btu "inverter" mini-split system we have (just the outside unit). 1.9kw cooling. Then checked a Webasto all-in one unit, also 24k btu. They list average consumption of 2.01 kw.
Heating consumption 30k btu on the mini split is 2.7k, fyi.

For each you would have to add the amp draw of the pump in one case and the air handler in the other.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #42
City: Portland
Vessel Name: Florence A
Vessel Model: 47' Sutton
I think given a few years marine a/c will catch up with land based systems because R22 is going away. R410 is the new one and the compressors are smaller and run at higher pressures which is some of the improvement in efficiency. I think it makes them harder to start too, so that maybe the reason for soft start and all that good stuff. As it becomes harder to buy R22 parts the marine guys are going to be forced to embrace the new stuff like it or not. In A/C times are changing.
In terms of salt air- the mini split systems on a beach side home in Mexico lasted fairly well for friends. Lawn furniture needed painting yearly for rust so I guess some salt was in the air. I think they sold the house after 10 years and the system was still running. Does not mean it will work on a boat of course.

BryanF is offline   Reply With Quote