Dual water source - any advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
Hello,
I am thinking about a modification on my water setup aboard.
First thing, I am cruising only in fresh water at this time (rivers and lakes).
I was thinking to modify my setup in order to have dual source for water:
1. clean from tanks with 3 stage filtration for cooking and things like washing your teeth.
2. add a source from raw water, with filtration, to get water "clean" enough to use it for shower, hand wash, dishes and this kind of usage. I could also use the same source for washdown on the deck etc.
I would have 2 separate pumps, 2 separate filter setup, and on the sinks 2 separate faucet raw filtered/clean water.
I would also have valves that could allow me to choose to use clean water from tank for everything in case I need it (I can see many case where I would not want to use raw filtered water, like clogged filters, too dirty water, or even to flush the lines).

The setup would be pretty easy as I have access to run new lines, and enough space to put the needed valves, filters and manifold.

What do you think about it? Any input or comment will be appreciated.

Thank you.

L.

I had a similar system on our previous boat. Raw water was used for washing decks and anchors, and I could change a valve and use it to flush the toilets. Everything else was fresh water from the tank.

I think I read someplace that Montreal doesn't have a sewage plant and dumps their raw sewage into the St Lawrence River. Since you are downstream of Montreal, I would not use river water for washing dishes or showers. Any kind of filter that you could reasonably put on a boat will not kill bacteria and viruses.

I think I read someplace that Montreal doesn't have a sewage plant and dumps their raw sewage into the St Lawrence River. Since you are downstream of Montreal, I would not use river water for washing dishes or showers. Any kind of filter that you could reasonably put on a boat will not kill bacteria and viruses.

The second largest city, nearly 2 million people, no sewage treatment. Seems kind of far fetched, don't you think?

Perhaps you are thinking of this event: Montreal dumps raw sewage into St. Lawrence River - CNN

And I think Lou keeps his boat upstream of Montreal. Downstream of Ottawa, but I'm sure their sewage smells like daisies :)

Yes I keep my boat upstream of Montreal and not on St Lawrence but Ottawa river. Montreal does of course have a sewage plant and does not dump water directly in the St Lawrence, nobody does a it is forbidden by law.
It occurred in some events of flooding that some water was dumped but it is not the norm and it should have never happened.
I was thinking to use multi stage filtering like first mud filter, than finer filters in cascade to get a water not safe enough to drink of course but enough clear to tak a shower with it. We are swimming in the river and never got sick so I guess water quality is not bad. Of course I would not use this in a marina with other boat dumping grey water or anything worse.
My main worry is about the filters, would they get clogged too quickly? Not sure about it.

And Jeff, yes Ottawa sewage are smelling like roses! :D

L.

Roses. Thank you. That's what I meant to say :)

Getting back to your question, I don't think you want to have any plumbing that is potentially fed from both sources. The danger of introducing pathogens into your drinking water supply seems too high. If that is a guiding principal you end up having two faucets at each place you might want to draw from, and no common supply side plumbing. I've seen lots of boats with separate raw water faucets in galley and head, often with a manual foot or hand pump. It used to be common on offshore sailboats before water makers came into widespread use. Keep in mind that you're not going to have hot raw water, since that requires a dedicated heater if adhering to the no mixing rule.

I really wanted a raw water washdown system this year, and my quick-and-dirty solution was to buy a submersible pump that attaches to a garden hose. I hang it over the side when I want to use it. When I was at anchor earlier this summer and running out of water I showered in the cockpit, and a couple of times I ran the hose into the boat to wash dishes. I suppose I could have showered inside with the hose as well. Not an elegant solution, but it's worked pretty well for me.

Back
Top Bottom