Dry Bilge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were determined to save our boat from rot and smell and so is born the Dry bilge system.

The stench from rotting wood might cause someone to want one , but in FL its the AIR that is full of humidity the green stuff will grow everywhere IF the ventilation is not up to snuff.

Lazy folks simply leave the AC on to lower the humidity or install a dehumidifier.

Good ventilation solves the problem for free.

I kind of like the idea. I've always got an inch of water in the forward bilge.

I would think that there would be problems with dust and debris in those small tube systems. I put a little 500 gph Rule pump that turns on every 2.5 minutes for a few seconds to check for water. If there is water it runs till dry. It keeps the water at a very low level.I turn it off when I sleep.
A little peristaltic pump with a filter would work and you could run it all the time. This one is .08amps and 20-60 ml/hr

Attachments

• sdqqtyg-1.jpg
    sdqqtyg-1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 224
I've got a couple of the Arid units onboard. They work, but do have their problems, tend to be quite high maint item.

I've got a couple of the Arid units onboard. They work, but do have their problems, tend to be quite high maint item.
Thanks for the input, they did look super complicated when I looked at the online manual.

I would think that there would be problems with dust and debris in those small tube systems. I put a little 500 gph Rule pump that turns on every 2.5 minutes for a few seconds to check for water. If there is water it runs till dry. It keeps the water at a very low level.I turn it off when I sleep. A little peristaltic pump with a filter would work and you could run it all the time. This one is .08amps and 20-60 ml/hr
I'll get one and give it a try, thanks! :)

I have a shop vac with a built in water pump. Works great and I just pump the water to the shower sump. If you placed a timer on it I think it could work great.

Last edited:

Beware of Rule pumps. I've found them to be extremely unreliable. Every one has failed so I don't buy them anymore. Whale has a nice low profile pump with auto sense that I'm using now with much better success.

Check the reviews online for these, the PO had installed one in the keel as a stripper pump. A few months after our purchase the pump went bad, seized up. I had always had good service from Rule pumps but when I went on line to shop for a replacement the reviews on this particular pump was terrible. They make the same pump without the automatic feature & I installed it & it is still working without problem. If it ever goes bad which it will I'll remote mount a Whale diaphram pump.

Rule has had issues with their automatic pumps and float switches...but their basic pumps have never been a issue that I know of...

I maintained quite a few in an assistance towing fleet for over a decade which included installed ones as well as spares for pumping out sunken vessels.

That's my exact problem except the aft bilge.
Have you determined why you have this water? I have an inch in my mid bilge from the fridge and when I run the freezer in my laz I have condensation drainage into the aft bilge. Each bilge pump picks up the water in its section but there is always a bit left. I use a 3% bleach solution in a spray bottle for everything (except cocktails) so I give a squirt to any standing water in each bilge once a week when traveling in case the bilge might think it wants to start smelling.

Dave

Have you determined why you have this water? I have an inch in my mid bilge from the fridge and when I run the freezer in my laz I have condensation drainage into the aft bilge. Each bilge pump picks up the water in its section but there is always a bit left. I use a 3% bleach solution in a spray bottle for everything (except cocktails) so I give a squirt to any standing water in each bilge once a week when traveling in case the bilge might think it wants to start smelling. Dave
The AC's condensation drains into the bilge and our shaft log is not dripless so it drips a little, also our propane locker drains into the bilge.

The AC's condensation drains into the bilge and our shaft log is not dripless so it drips a little, also our propane locker drains into the bilge.

DRAIN THAT PROPANE LOCKER OVERBOARD ONLY!!!!!!!!!!
Ted

DRAIN THAT PROPANE LOCKER OVERBOARD ONLY!!!!!!!!!! Ted
Ok, I'm not sure if it is I was taking an educated guess ( were just getting used to the boat) but I'll trace the hoses.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom