door keys 1984 Taiwan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clive1

I have a 1984 Comfort trawler, taiwan, (formerly motorsailer) with slider pilothouse doors. The keys are 3 1/4 inches long and I am looking for spares. I may need to make them if I can find similar blanks, which I haven't been able to do. Anyone have any experience with this problem? Thanks. Clive

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. There have been threads regarding blanks for Taiwan vessels. Maybe someone with a better memory than I will chime in.

Long key! My old IG has mortise type entry door locks. Fortunately a locksmith can hand cut keys using steel blanks, shipwrights and mechanics are good at losing my keys.

If it looks like the old skeleton keys, but flat metal, I had them for our old CHB trawler. I thought the same thing you did until I just found them in the local old-timey hardware store in downtown New Bern. They are a simple blank and the blank worked with no cutting. They aren't hard to find, but you do have to look for them a little. They were only about $3 each. Send or post a picture of yours. I am driving through New Bern tomorrow or Sunday (oops... they are closed Sundays... darn) and can grab a few for you with no problem at all. Or maybe in a week or two if I can't get there tomorrow. We are in New Bern often.

shopping

Last edited:
Key

I forgot to include an important bit of information. The number imprinted on the key is XO 506. I'll add a picture if I can figure out how. Thanks. Clive

While many keys can be made at home centers, a "real" locksmith can usually make the unusual keys easily. Find a "real" locksmith and take your key with you.

OR take the door lock out and go to a big flea market , and just keep trying keys.

OR take the lock to the "real " keys guy , most have pounds/boxes of old keys.

Back
Top Bottom