Dometic vs Isotherm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reality says something different for us.

I live in the tropics in a NON airconditioned boat and have had 32+ degree c days recently with a fridge near 16 cubic feet with icemaker and have no issues with power consumption.
Genset never gets used while the sun shines for half a day.

This fridge would cost about $1500 to replace and is easily available at any electrical retailer in the country and if it ever has issues will get dumped and replaced with a nice new version.
Current version has been in use for at least 10 years.

A comparable 12v would be a custom build and would likely cost more than 10x that amount.

Due to the 12v cost, if it had problems I would be forced to get a mobile refrigeration "expert" out and his fee for repair would probably be as much as a new 240v fridge.

Sounds Ideal !
How big is your array ?
Put a amp meter on that thing when its running , see what it is using . Then time how long it runs every hour , that will give your an idea of how many amp hours it is using in 24 hrs.
Im curious.

Regards

We have been using the fridge for several weeks. We exchanged it for a new one 2 weeks ago and this one acts the same.

Setting is at coldest. Freezer is cold, single digits to low teens depending on the weather. Fridge varies from around 47 to 52 at 80 degrees. We are currently in Ft Meyers area and it was cold last night so the fridge was at 32 this morning. It is 74 right now and fridge is 41.

Steve and Janice: Are you happy with 47 to 52 degrees? The frig section (according to all I read) should remain around 40 degrees. Sounds to me like the information you are reporting supports my theory that my Dometic beats the Isotherm.

This is a Dometic vs Isotherm thread

I wish you people that are posting about home 120 volt refrigerators would start your own thread and delete your posts on this thread. Thanks

I've been around a few corners and as we say in Ireland, 'I'll not tear in the plucking'.
I've used all makes and types over the years and the I dumped Isotherm for a, unreliable b, spares are crazy money.
Head and shoulders above the rest is Vitrifrigo fitted with automatic voltage changeover, when you disconnect from shore power it automatically switches to battery and vice versa.
They may be dearer but quality rules first, price is only a part of the buying process.

You might also consider NOVA KOOL brand refrigerators

I wish you people that are posting about home 120 volt refrigerators would start your own thread and delete your posts on this thread. Thanks
RRRRRAAAARRRGGGHHHH
Angry much?

PS, my fridge is 240v not 120v

Greetings,
Mr. j9. I sense a note of frustration with, what can best be described as, a phenomenon that is relatively common on TF. Thread drift/creep seems to occur even when discussing the most innocuous subjects and makes an archive search very difficult.
For example: Marinas can devolve to anchors. Weather... to anchors. Fishing...to anchors. New locations to explore...to anchors. I hope you can see what I mean. Now this isn't to say EVERY topic ends up in an anchor...ahem...discussion. Paint and varnish may end up in hull shapes which, of course, devolves to buttocks! Electronics? Hmmm...That's a tough one. Could end up in battery banks, radio communication, wire gauges or, yes, you guessed it anchors (anchor alarms).

It is what it is, my friend so take heart and grin and bear it. Oh, boat shows usually end in a warning to keep an eye on your...

200.gif

What was the question again?

Greetings,
Mr. j9. I sense a note of frustration with, what can best be described as, a phenomenon that is relatively common on TF. Thread drift/creep seems to occur even when discussing the most innocuous subjects and makes an archive search very difficult.
For example: Marinas can devolve to anchors. Weather... to anchors. Fishing...to anchors. New locations to explore...to anchors. I hope you can see what I mean. Now this isn't to say EVERY topic ends up in an anchor...ahem...discussion. Paint and varnish may end up in hull shapes which, of course, devolves to buttocks! Electronics? Hmmm...That's a tough one. Could end up in battery banks, radio communication, wire gauges or, yes, you guessed it anchors (anchor alarms).

It is what it is, my friend so take heart and grin and bear it. Oh, boat shows usually end in a warning to keep an eye on your...

200.gif

What was the question again?

I love drift (as long as it's drifting in my direction)

To recap, in my first comment I said that we were having the exact same problem with our isotherm. So like John at 90 degrees we had temps over 50 in the fridge. Then I posted it conditions at 80 degree temps. All of these at the coldest setting. I can't keep meat and poultry at those temps.

West Marine swapped out isotherm for a dometic which is at perfect temps without being set to the lowest setting in the same conditions. So now that we can store or food properly we are preparing to leave marina life behind and I can't wait to get back to being cruisers again.

I also wish a thread could keep on topic. It is frustrating to read all the unrelated posts to gather relevant information. Sailing Forum has the same issues.

To recap, in my first comment I said that we were having the exact same problem with our isotherm. So like John at 90 degrees we had temps over 50 in the fridge. Then I posted it conditions at 80 degree temps. All of these at the coldest setting. I can't keep meat and poultry at those temps.

West Marine swapped out isotherm for a dometic which is at perfect temps without being set to the lowest setting in the same conditions. So now that we can store or food properly we are preparing to leave marina life behind and I can't wait to get back to being cruisers again.

I also wish a thread could keep on topic. It is frustrating to read all the unrelated posts to gather relevant information. Sailing Forum has the same issues.

Thanks Steve and Janice for the valuable information you provided. This thread is about Isotherm and Dometic. There may be other 12v Compressor refrigerators out there that outperform the Dometic but I didn't consider any of them because I was replacing a propane Dometic and the Compressor Dometic fit in the space well.

I put extra insulation around my $300 a.c. whirlpool. Bought Styrofoam panels at Home Depot. Use point of use inverter. Excellent!

Back
Top Bottom