Dinghy and Davits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
weaver Davit

Second photo shot

CAPT John,

My recently purchased boat also came with a Weaver Davit like yours. The previous owner demonstrated that he snugged the dinghy, a nearly 12-foot West Marine with 15 HP yamaha, inside the davit, so that the dink rode at a 45 degree angle. Your usage looks so much smarter.

However, I also had a problem because it seems that I Had to lift the dink up to the lip of the swim platform. My swim platform is 15 inches off the water, making this a bit of a struggle with nearly 300 pounds of dink, engine, fuel and other equip.

What size is your dink and how high off the water is the swim platform? Do you, did you have these issues too and how did you overcome them?

I removed the davit and it is sitting in my garage. I might have to reconsider.

Thanks
Gordon

Gdavid, we've used the Watertender 9.4 for about 10 years. It was used when we got it. It was far better than the 8' fiberglass pram that we used before. It's stable, a dog to row, OK with a 2hp Suzuki, carried lots of stuff. It's roto-moulded polyethylene and probably contains foam blocks for flotation. The inside is joined to the outside hull at the sheerline, using aluminum rivets through a rubber channel. A stainless tow eye and two transom-mounted plastic eyes are attached through the hull with wood block backup. No interior nuts show. The motor mount is rubber and bolted, presumably through a wood block.

The hull is susceptible to damage by dragging it over nail heads or other abrasive. Ours is not yet breached, but I try to take care. The transom eyes have pulled out. I think there's a drain plug for the 'tween hull, but I also think the foam is sodden. Unless the blocks within the transom filled the space between the inside and the out, I doubt that an easy repair is possible. Unless you could add blocks where you wished to add through-bolted items, I doubt the adequacy and water-tightness of the addition. You could readily add connection points along the sheer.

However, I also had a problem because it seems that I Had to lift the dink up to the lip of the swim platform. My swim platform is 15 inches off the water, making this a bit of a struggle with nearly 300 pounds of dink, engine, fuel and other equip.

What size is your dink and how high off the water is the swim platform? Do you, did you have these issues too and how did you overcome them?

Weaver makes the platform side brackets in various heights and drops. Best to synchronize the hook-up so the dink can be easily snapped on at it's normal floating height.

Weaver parts: https://www.weaverindustries.com/index.cfm/category/6/davits-for-inflatable-dinghies.htm

20150513_190801-vi.jpg

GordonJ and all the other respondents, we threw in the towel and purchased davits from Ocean Marine Systems: Ocean Marine Systems - Davits, Rails, Lifts, and Platforms. These are more heavily made than the Kato and similar; they're rated for 400lbs.

I have not yet installed 'em, so don't know how the whole setup will work for us. One worry is that dragging the RIB over the swim platform will be damaging to the RIB and not easy.

Everything is here aboard the boat; I hope to install 'em this weekend.

DHeckrotte, thanks for the detailed response. That makes a lot of sense in both the value and limitations that dinghy.

foliver, Dinghy Caddy is in (probably near Toronto), Ontario, CA.

Ocean Marine Systems is in Vancouver, BC, CA. It was no problem to chat by email and 'phone to Vancouver. The pieces came by UPS. No problem.

I doubt you'd have problems dealing with the folks in Ontario.

The Dinghy Davit is a different unit that the one from Olsson. The ST275 will only lift 275 lbs. when I looked at the Olsson system it just did not have the capacity we where looking for. The 11.5' West Marine RIB dinghy and motor combination we carry is right at that 275 lbs weight limit just motor and boat. Since we carry a gas can,dinghy anchor and Waypoint's stern anchor and rode in the dinghy we are most of the time over 300 lbs in weight back there.

The Dinghy Davit system works well for us with the 400 lbs limit it has. It is by no means perfect. However it does do what we need and makes putting the dinghy in reasonably easy. We also opted for the 6 to 1 pulley system option. This makes it easy for both myself and my wife to retrieve the boat. Since we are pulling the davit from such a low angle (top of the transom level) it's easier with both of us pulling. When you look at their website you will see that most of the pictures have the block and tackle system pulling from a much higher angle than we do in the pictures. This angle makes it much easier to pull up the dinghy. At some point in the future I plan to makes some higher attachment points on the aft bulkhead of our sun deck for hauling. Once the dinghy is up I can then move the lifting system back to the transom for transporting and launching the boat. A simple task to do.

Since our platform is 14" above the water with a full load I too had questions about the system before we purchased. However after speaking to the folks in Canada it turned out to be a none issue. Once ordered they will have you do some measuring and then build the system to your needs. Took about 2-1/2 weeks to get ours only because UPS lost it then found it.

http://www.dinghycaddy.com/products.htm

Last edited:
Dinghy too big

Weaver makes the platform side brackets in various heights and drops. Best to synchronize the hook-up so the dink can be easily snapped on at it's normal floating height.

Weaver parts: https://www.weaverindustries.com/index.cfm/category/6/davits-for-inflatable-dinghies.htm

20150513_190801-vi.jpg

Turns out the davit was not made by Weaver, but by Olsson Mfg. - Transom Davits - The ST-275. I just talked to Sam, the owner, who said by West Marine 350 and 15 horse Yamaha would be too heavy for the 275. Anyone want to buy a used, but good looking 275?

Gordon

my unit for sale

Capt Jon........thanks for the pics........that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for!

Now that I have learned that my Olsson system 275 is too small for my west marine 350, I will sell my 275. The owner told me new goes for $2000 plus shipping. I would part with mine for half. Olsson Mfg. - Transom Davits - The ST-275
Pictures available if you are interested.

Gordon

Yes. I'd be interested. Can you send the price and location to my email address? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Ill take care of it when I get home. The davit is in Hampton, VA.

Back
Top Bottom