Wow. That's pretty damn cool.
Your right it really is!

Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:01 AM   #23
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Forgot the actual comment. I have the Weavers on swim platform. Easy connect/disconnect. Critical to correctly evaluate the vertical position for clips on inflatable. Too high on the tube may (as it has on mine) result in the inflatable riding too low and catching water at speed when the stern squats. Which, in turn, over stresses the glue joint ......

Weavers are a relatively inexpensive stupid simple solution. Easy to operate, has its quirks, still have to handle the OB. Boat came with them, I'm a light dink user, close enough for now.

The Jackson rig looks like a well thought out design. Not seen one before.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #24
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
River Cruiser, that sounds good! Particularly like the control you've got with the two snugged up.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:02 PM   #25

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Dinghy Caddy Photos

Here are a few pictures of our install with the dinghy lifted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	49039  
Old 02-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #26

Second Photos

Second photo shot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	49041  
Old 02-19-2016, 11:26 PM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
So far (in nearly five years), the only significant function of my rarely used swim platform has been as a landing for a soft-bottomed dinghy.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #28

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Capt Jon........thanks for the pics........that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for!
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #29
Guru

I'm drifting ever closer to making my own davits. As I'm only a retired architect, whatever engineering skills I aquired to graduate from McGill and to pass the Registration Exam have long atrophied. (My testa dura remains.) Before I start laminating Ash, though, I'll need to be confident of the required cross section. Other details include the mounting hardware and the reinforcement inside the transom.

I'm also mulling making another single, or pair of davits on the flybridge wing to lift a kayak for storage. I'll wing that design since it's not a serious application or much of a problem.

The two reasonably-priced alternatives are rather close to capacity for our RIB; one won't even sell me theirs. And both these would block the comfortable use of the swim platform since they'd leave only about 4' clear under the davit.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #30

City: Owings, Md
DHeckrotte, in your first post you said you had a watertender 9.4 but don't consider it adequate, what is it's biggest deficiency other than weight? It isn't a looker but the trihull style seems like a pretty functional dink for the price and someone averse to inflatables. I would be curious if the weaver snap davit hardware could be attached to it or if the plastic construction would be too weak. I think the heavy duty units would handle the weight, I assume the biggest challenge would be getting the right leverage to tilt it up in place.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #31
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
weaver Davit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
Second photo shot
CAPT John,

My recently purchased boat also came with a Weaver Davit like yours. The previous owner demonstrated that he snugged the dinghy, a nearly 12-foot West Marine with 15 HP yamaha, inside the davit, so that the dink rode at a 45 degree angle. Your usage looks so much smarter.

However, I also had a problem because it seems that I Had to lift the dink up to the lip of the swim platform. My swim platform is 15 inches off the water, making this a bit of a struggle with nearly 300 pounds of dink, engine, fuel and other equip.

What size is your dink and how high off the water is the swim platform? Do you, did you have these issues too and how did you overcome them?

I removed the davit and it is sitting in my garage. I might have to reconsider.

Thanks
Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #32
Guru

Gdavid, we've used the Watertender 9.4 for about 10 years. It was used when we got it. It was far better than the 8' fiberglass pram that we used before. It's stable, a dog to row, OK with a 2hp Suzuki, carried lots of stuff. It's roto-moulded polyethylene and probably contains foam blocks for flotation. The inside is joined to the outside hull at the sheerline, using aluminum rivets through a rubber channel. A stainless tow eye and two transom-mounted plastic eyes are attached through the hull with wood block backup. No interior nuts show. The motor mount is rubber and bolted, presumably through a wood block.

The hull is susceptible to damage by dragging it over nail heads or other abrasive. Ours is not yet breached, but I try to take care. The transom eyes have pulled out. I think there's a drain plug for the 'tween hull, but I also think the foam is sodden. Unless the blocks within the transom filled the space between the inside and the out, I doubt that an easy repair is possible. Unless you could add blocks where you wished to add through-bolted items, I doubt the adequacy and water-tightness of the addition. You could readily add connection points along the sheer.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #33
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post

However, I also had a problem because it seems that I Had to lift the dink up to the lip of the swim platform. My swim platform is 15 inches off the water, making this a bit of a struggle with nearly 300 pounds of dink, engine, fuel and other equip.

What size is your dink and how high off the water is the swim platform? Do you, did you have these issues too and how did you overcome them?
Weaver makes the platform side brackets in various heights and drops. Best to synchronize the hook-up so the dink can be easily snapped on at it's normal floating height.

Weaver parts: https://www.weaverindustries.com/ind...e-dinghies.htm

Old 06-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #34
Guru

GordonJ and all the other respondents, we threw in the towel and purchased davits from Ocean Marine Systems: Ocean Marine Systems - Davits, Rails, Lifts, and Platforms. These are more heavily made than the Kato and similar; they're rated for 400lbs.

I have not yet installed 'em, so don't know how the whole setup will work for us. One worry is that dragging the RIB over the swim platform will be damaging to the RIB and not easy.

Everything is here aboard the boat; I hope to install 'em this weekend.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #35

Where can the Dinghy Caddy be bought?
The website is in Canada.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #36

City: Owings, Md
DHeckrotte, thanks for the detailed response. That makes a lot of sense in both the value and limitations that dinghy.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #37
Guru

foliver, Dinghy Caddy is in (probably near Toronto), Ontario, CA.

Ocean Marine Systems is in Vancouver, BC, CA. It was no problem to chat by email and 'phone to Vancouver. The pieces came by UPS. No problem.

I doubt you'd have problems dealing with the folks in Ontario.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoboater View Post
Capt Jon........thanks for the pics........that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for!
Here's your source:

Olsson Mfg. - Transom Davits - The ST-275

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
The Dinghy Davit is a different unit that the one from Olsson. The ST275 will only lift 275 lbs. when I looked at the Olsson system it just did not have the capacity we where looking for. The 11.5' West Marine RIB dinghy and motor combination we carry is right at that 275 lbs weight limit just motor and boat. Since we carry a gas can,dinghy anchor and Waypoint's stern anchor and rode in the dinghy we are most of the time over 300 lbs in weight back there.

The Dinghy Davit system works well for us with the 400 lbs limit it has. It is by no means perfect. However it does do what we need and makes putting the dinghy in reasonably easy. We also opted for the 6 to 1 pulley system option. This makes it easy for both myself and my wife to retrieve the boat. Since we are pulling the davit from such a low angle (top of the transom level) it's easier with both of us pulling. When you look at their website you will see that most of the pictures have the block and tackle system pulling from a much higher angle than we do in the pictures. This angle makes it much easier to pull up the dinghy. At some point in the future I plan to makes some higher attachment points on the aft bulkhead of our sun deck for hauling. Once the dinghy is up I can then move the lifting system back to the transom for transporting and launching the boat. A simple task to do.

Since our platform is 14" above the water with a full load I too had questions about the system before we purchased. However after speaking to the folks in Canada it turned out to be a none issue. Once ordered they will have you do some measuring and then build the system to your needs. Took about 2-1/2 weeks to get ours only because UPS lost it then found it.

http://www.dinghycaddy.com/products.htm
Old 06-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #40
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Dinghy too big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Weaver makes the platform side brackets in various heights and drops. Best to synchronize the hook-up so the dink can be easily snapped on at it's normal floating height.

Weaver parts: https://www.weaverindustries.com/ind...e-dinghies.htm

Turns out the davit was not made by Weaver, but by Olsson Mfg. - Transom Davits - The ST-275. I just talked to Sam, the owner, who said by West Marine 350 and 15 horse Yamaha would be too heavy for the 275. Anyone want to buy a used, but good looking 275?

Gordon

Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote