Dickenson Diesel Heater Install Cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi All, for those of you who have had a diesel heater installed about how much was the total install cost? I was told about 20 hours of work but I just don’t understand how it can take that long. In my case fuel and power runs should be easy and it will be mounted near the wall it will vent out of.
Thoughts?

Greetings,
Mr. A. Move the boat to Panama is my first thought. Costa Rica is my second...

200w.gif

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read"...Groucho

I like your style RT although I spent a ludicrous amount of money earlier this year moving her from florida so I think I’ll stick to the PNW for a while ;)

Twenty hours doesn't seem out of line. When we removed ours I appreciated what went into the install. Drilling the exhaust/flue hole through the boat deck, assembling the stove pipe, running fuel/return lines from the tanks, fuel pump, electrical run, installing the heat shield, I don't think the stove comes fully assembled out of the box, whos ordering all the parts/system? plus the testing. The time easily adds up and could go over 20 hours.

Thanks Larry, just wanted a gut check, I’ll likely have CSR in Seattle do the work as the boat is already there. Just had no idea what really went into one of these heater installs.

I assume that this is a bulkhead mount unit. Twenty hours sounds like a lot. But there is a lot of $$$ in all of the stuff required to set one up: back shield, flue, elbows, thru wall shield, cap, booster pump if diesel tank is below the heater which it almost always is, fuel line, power to pump, etc.

David

Yep the dickenson Newport is what I’m looking at.

Twenty hours seems pretty good to me, 2.5 man-days. I'd be surprised if it could be done in less time, even by an experienced installer.

Hi All, for those of you who have had a diesel heater installed about how much was the total install cost? I was told about 20 hours of work but I just don’t understand how it can take that long. In my case fuel and power runs should be easy and it will be mounted near the wall it will vent out of.
Thoughts?

I can buy 20 hours. Electrical wiring, stack, fuel line, drip line - fair amount of futzing around. I don't know how long mine took, but the stainless backing added some time. These units are so worth it in the PNW. We run ours pretty much 24 x 7 for six months out of the year.

2iaubte.jpg

Thanks Delfin! Do you find it heats the main salon ok?

Thanks Delfin! Do you find it heats the main salon ok?

Yes, it does, and the heat rises up to the pilot house. One cool thing about it is that there is very little side heat. The Admiral routinely is sticking stuff next to it between the saloon couch and the heater and they never get anything but warm. I put the pleated stainless steel on the ceiling as well, because that is where you will see a lot of heat. Add some circulation fans and it does a great job of heating about half the boat. Never dial in more than 4 or so.

https://www.stainlesssupply.com/ord...ne-Line-Embossed-Diamond-Quilted-Pattern-.htm

Delfin, Do you have a photo of the exhaust and ceiling? I’m going to mount mine on the port side which is the same side as the stairs to the pilothouse.
Looks like you have a similar design of boat, what exactly is yours, Love the style :)

Delfin, Do you have a photo of the exhaust and ceiling? I’m going to mount mine on the port side which is the same side as the stairs to the pilothouse.
Looks like you have a similar design of boat, what exactly is yours, Love the style :)

I can take one, probably tomorrow.

Delfin is a 1964 Romsdal.

The Dickenson Newportis a bulkhead mounted unit.

IF you have floor space the ant arctic , may be gravity fed and no fuel pump would be required.

For some simply installing an oil range is better for a long winter.

For anchoring out the Bridet smoke head is fine , but in a marina winter the H style unit is better at breezes and downdrafts from different directions.

A bronze "water deck iron "is great for long term use , I don't know if there still available .

Here is a site that still sells them,
http://www.marinestove.com/Accessories.htm

Last edited:
Yep the dickenson Newport is what I’m looking at.

I lived with one for years, often going 24 hours a day for weeks. I love these units. I also installed the larger (and much better if you have the space) Alaska in the trawler we only kept for a year.

Quality isn't what it used to be. I had to finish the manufacturing process on the Alaska before it would stop dumping diesel. These things require some tweaking and understanding. Once I finished what Dickenson should have done, it behaved flawlessly. PM if you have problems. The fix is fairly easy if you have a Dremel tool with a polishing head handy.

Both my installations, which I did myself, took 2-3 days so 20 hours is about right.

What makes the Alaska so much better? It looked to have the same stats on the dickenson web site, both about 16000 btu?

What makes the Alaska so much better? It looked to have the same stats on the dickenson web site, both about 16000 btu?

I believe they only make a single style of burner so they all consume the same fuel. They just have different wrappers around that burner so the heat output varies depending on how much heat shielding goes with a particular wrapper. Mine is gravity fed, so AFAIK that isn't a differentiator either.

I assume you won't be using this as your sole source of heat, and if so, and especially if bulkhead mount works best for you, you'll be quite happy with the Newport, I suspect.

I have 3 cruisair units that do heat/AC but they require the Genset (220v) so this would likely be what I run at anchor or at night.

Might look at other install options today which could take the standing heater.

If one is having quality problems w Dickenson look at Sigmar.

I have one I’ve never installed. It’s a wall mount like the Dickenson almost a dupe. The word copy may be appropriate as I heard Sigmar got started by a Dickenson employee going off on his own.

The Dickenson I’d like is the Arctic. It’s round and is a floor mount. Considerably bigger than the “Newport” wall mount. I’d have one but my boat is small.

I’ve heard many stories that greatly amplify what Roger Long said .. “These things require some tweeking and understanding.” And pay very close attention to the chimney and it’s draft. The cap on the top of the stovepipe is not an ornament. Great arguments on many docks/floats about what stovepipe cap is best. I have my favorite and I don’t even have one.

Sigmar is part of Dickinson. Made at the same facility.

If one is having quality problems w Dickenson look at Sigmar.

I have one I’ve never installed. It’s a wall mount like the Dickenson almost a dupe. The word copy may be appropriate as I heard Sigmar got started by a Dickenson employee going off on his own.

The Dickenson I’d like is the Arctic. It’s round and is a floor mount. Considerably bigger than the “Newport” wall mount. I’d have one but my boat is small.

I’ve heard many stories that greatly amplify what Roger Long said .. “These things require some tweeking and understanding.” And pay very close attention to the chimney and it’s draft. The cap on the top of the stovepipe is not an ornament. Great arguments on many docks/floats about what stovepipe cap is best. I have my favorite and I don’t even have one.

Here you go....

ip5wxx.jpg

Looks great! thank you Delfin!
AC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom