Old 11-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #1

City: Port Orchard
Vessel Name: Ironside
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Day tank for Refleks

I received my order last week. A large Refleks diesel heater for my boat. I want to slowly build up a hydronic system, since it has the heating coil built in. My first dilemma is the day tank. I want gravity feed of the diesel, so I estimated a 5 gallon size would be sufficient. I keep searching the web, but I do not see many options for a wall mount stainless steel tank.
Does anyone know a good source?

Thanks.

LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #2
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
No idea about the day tank, just wanted to say I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the Refleks. There's much I like about them, number one of which is they don't need an electric fan to burn diesel without sooting.

I've read it's possible to rig a hydronic system without a pump...what's your plan in that regard?

Old 11-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #3
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKa View Post
I received my order last week. A large Refleks diesel heater for my boat. I want to slowly build up a hydronic system, since it has the heating coil built in. My first dilemma is the day tank. I want gravity feed of the diesel, so I estimated a 5 gallon size would be sufficient. I keep searching the web, but I do not see many options for a wall mount stainless steel tank.
Does anyone know a good source?

Thanks.

I'm looking into those after seeing Mads videos on his two Refleks stoves. I think he uses a 5 gallon tank. The automotive world should have something if the marine sector doesn't. I think Mads transfers fuel every few days from his main tanks to the stove tank.

I'm interested in the thermo-siphoning effect with those stoves as well. I'm building a dutch styled Luxe Motor based on a Teign gravel barge hull. All those traditional build boats use a diesel heating unit with radiators through the boat.

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...cat/cat133.htm

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
...I'm building a dutch styled Luxe Motor based on a Teign gravel barge hull...
Jeez, this thread just keeps getting better and better!
Old 11-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Find your local sheet metal shop and have them build you a stainless tank.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
Guru

City: Florida
Vessel Model: "Ho"made
I would thing a 6 gallon Outboard style tank would fit the bill. I'm not sure if diesel fuel reacts negatively with plastic but it would seem to be a simple answer.
Everybody report on the reflex seems to be positive. I know several commercial fisherman that raved about them and they are a tough crowd to please
Old 11-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #7
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
The gravity tank for my diesel stove is fabricated aluminum construction. Hidden in an upper part of a locker.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:44 AM   #8
FF
Guru

Our Dickinson uses 1/2 to 4 gallons per day , the latter when its 0F and below.

A pump less hydronic can be done ,we have it in our 90/90.

The system must slope down from the highest point ,to the bottom coil we use 3/4 inch baseboard style finned tubing.Any change in direction can not be done with 45 or 90 deg elbows. Either hose with a slow bend or slow sweeps from a refrigeration supply does work.

The system works slowly as there is not much difference in the weight of cold water and hot water.

But after heating overnight , your fine till spring .

Our circ. water runs at 135F to maintain T shirt environment on board.adjusted manually at the fuel control.

Our header tank is about a gallon , diesel fuel tank 24 gal.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Our Dickinson uses 1/2 to 4 gallons per day , the latter when its 0F and below.

A pump less hydronic can be done ,we have it in our 90/90.

The system must slope down from the highest point ,to the bottom coil we use 3/4 inch baseboard style finned tubing.Any change in direction can not be done with 45 or 90 deg elbows. Either hose with a slow bend or slow sweeps from a refrigeration supply does work.

The system works slowly as there is not much difference in the weight of cold water and hot water.

But after heating overnight , your fine till spring .

Our circ. water runs at 135F to maintain T shirt environment on board.adjusted manually at the fuel control.

Our header tank is about a gallon , diesel fuel tank 24 gal.

Thanks FF. The Refleks stoves from what I have read, use about a pint an hour on low. Most guys use them on small sailboats (-30ft) though so not to bad to heat.

I like the idea of a diesel stove on my boat to keep with the theme. The Euro boats use a combination of heating. Engine coolant heating, a boiler for when the engine is off, and a multi fuel solid fuel stove. The solid fuel stove usually burns coal, wood, and pellets. The coolant based heat is usually through radiators or finned baseboard heaters. Sometimes a combo.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #10

Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
No idea about the day tank, just wanted to say I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the Refleks. There's much I like about them, number one of which is they don't need an electric fan to burn diesel without sooting.

I've read it's possible to rig a hydronic system without a pump...what's your plan in that regard?

I want to include pumps. In the long run, I want zones heated individually. The stove will be in the salon, because it has a cooktop and sometimes the salon heating is enough for me.
I will install cast iron radiators down below (weight is not a problem on my boat) for the main and guest cabins and maybe one more for the tub/shower head. The hoses are already there, since this boat had central heating originally. I just need connect the system.
I want a slow circulating pump for the radiators and one for the hot water tank. Each zone will be connected to a manifold, so the flow can be controlled easily.
I hope I will find pumps with low amp usage. The do not need to move large volumes of water and the do not need to run all the time.
I might need to order a custom tank. The wall next to the heater can accommodate 4-5í tall tank, so a slim built would be the best. I can go higher on the capacity, maybe up to 10-15 gallons. The tank will have its own fuel pump connected to my 400g engine feeding tank with a filter. I can store 1600 gallons total in 4 tanks, so plenty of heating source. Lol
Old 11-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
Guru

With hoses already there you've probably saved yourself 90% of the physical effort involved in the project. Sounds awesome. I'd go with one in the head as well because if your wife is anything like mine, a cold toilet seat can negate many gains made in other areas!
Old 11-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
With hoses already there you've probably saved yourself 90% of the physical effort involved in the project. Sounds awesome. I'd go with one in the head as well because if your wife is anything like mine, a cold toilet seat can negate many gains made in other areas!

Iíve got the message. Lol. Head radiator it is...will be installed.

This model is one of the largest they sell. It cost me around $2700 to purchase. This includes shipping and customs. It could have been less without the coil and cooking top, but I wanted those. I was a bit surprised about how tall it was. See pictures. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	96238Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	96239Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	96240Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	96241Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	96242
Old 11-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #13

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
The best source of parts and information is right there locally in Seattle at Sure Marine. They have the pumps, manifolds and any other parts you might need. They donít sell Refleks but should be happy to set you up with everything else you need and the info to do it right. If you canít find a fuel tank that seems right for you, look at hydraulic tanks from some of the commercial marine places. Lots of oddball sizing and they work great for day tanks.
Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
The best source of parts and information is right there locally in Seattle at Sure Marine. They have the pumps, manifolds and any other parts you might need. They donít sell Refleks but should be happy to set you up with everything else you need and the info to do it right. If you canít find a fuel tank that seems right for you, look at hydraulic tanks from some of the commercial marine places. Lots of oddball sizing and they work great for day tanks.

Yes, I know them. Have been there in the past, when I bought my boat. Luckily, the shop is quite close to my work. Iíll take your advice and go to chat with them next week.
I certainly need guidance on the fittings, manifold, valves, pipes.
It seems that I need a custom made tank. Www.onlinemetals.com has a location here, same vicinity as Sure Marine. I wonder, if they could fabricate a tank for me for the specifications I need? Anyone has dealt with them before?
Old 11-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #15
FF
Guru

With a pump, more heat can be taken out with coils on the exhaust , or a special built wet exhaust pipe.

A copper coil inside the unit requires water , to operate ,a SS coil 7 to 9 turns does not.

If locating as shown a reflective insulated piece of SS is advisable.

Have you located a water deck iron?
Old 11-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
...Have you located a water deck iron?
ShipMate Stove Company Inc. - your source for classic solid fuel boat stoves, heaters and sinks.

I'm unfamiliar with deck irons...do you have to keep refilling it, and what happens if you don't? How long does it take to evaporate? Is there a non-water alternative?
Old 11-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
ShipMate Stove Company Inc. - your source for classic solid fuel boat stoves, heaters and sinks.

I'm unfamiliar with deck irons...do you have to keep refilling it, and what happens if you don't? How long does it take to evaporate? Is there a non-water alternative?

That's totally not what I was planning to use. I was planning to use the insulated stainless steel pass through box similar to what is used in a house.

My apologies to LeoKa for continuing this thread jacking.

Old 11-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #18
Guru

City: Canaveral
Thatís a nice big stove. How many BTUs is it, and how many BTUs can be transferred to the water coils?

Have you calculated all this out because it doesnít seem that unitís little coil could produce sufficient hot water for your radiator system. Or are the radiators just to provide supplemental heat to remote areas like the head and the bridge?
makobuilders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #19
FF
Guru

A water deck iron is usually a cast bronze item that has so much mass and surface area that most (ours anyway) is not watered.

They are mostly required for wood or coal ranges that may be 50,000 or more BTU.

The Dickinson is only 20,000BTU

In terms of heat output ours keeps (2) 6ft and (1) 4ft sections of 3/4inch finned copper tubing warm.This is required as we have water tight doors between sections.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Thatís a nice big stove. How many BTUs is it, and how many BTUs can be transferred to the water coils?

Have you calculated all this out because it doesnít seem that unitís little coil could produce sufficient hot water for your radiator system. Or are the radiators just to provide supplemental heat to remote areas like the head and the bridge?

This unit is capable doing 16,674 Kcals. I donít know, if this will make cabins steaming hot, but this was not the purpose anyway. My main goal is to keep the boat dry. Even today, I run a small oil filled electrical radiator heater down below and keep window slightly open for airflow out. The boat is dry now.
When Refleks will function, it will warm up the salon nicely and provide some warmth down below in the cabins and bathroom. I like sleeping in cool room. The PNW winter in Seattle is mostly mild, so I am worried about calories as much.
The coil inside is not that small. See photo.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	96275