Old 02-10-2016, 06:53 AM   #41
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
WD40 is not a lubricant, sort of.
I have oiled motor shafts using full synthetic engine oils.
Advantage of synthetic is they do not burn-oxidize, dry up, so they last.
I would use a 5w-20 and drip it off a long tool-wire onto the shaft net to the bushing,

I found out about using synthetic oils on motors on computer fans. The fan bearings eventually dry up, even relubing with dino oils. But using synthetic oils, the fans don't dry up, I have years of proof that shows me this. Since then also other fan motors I have fixed using 100% synthetic oil.
There is friction in a bearing, even if it seems there is none. And over the long long time, regular greases - oils do a slow burn in the heat of a bearing. Synthetic oil is more resistant to heat, breaks down at higher temperatures.

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #42

City: Coastal SC
Vessel Model: Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Just a followup that over 2 weeks later, with perhaps 30 on/off cycles, the previously offending blower is still coming on perfectly each time.

With the bonus that it now blows noticeably stronger than it's twin blower on the other side of the air handler box. (they both have identical lengths of ductwork from blower to the vents btw)

I speculate that perhaps the extra 1uF of the new cap might boost the motor some, or perhaps the deterioration of the original cap inhibited voltage to the motor a bit... at least that was the explanation I got from an HVAC tech when I replaced a cap on a home condenser fan..... which went from having to be helped with a stick to get the fan moving, to (with new cap) turning instantly and with more RPM than previously*.

In that case the difference was pure cap deterioration as the replacement cap was identical uF and physical size to the original.

-------------------
*By "previously" I mean the fan RPM when the cap was weak but once started with a stick it would ramp up to full speed. Except I didn't realize at the time it wasn't really at full speed....it was still a bit weak but I didn't know it as I had noting to compare it to.

But with new cap I was amazed how much faster the cooling fan turned....(no, didn't have a tach on it, but was much louder with new cap than before due to moving more air)

Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #43

2 months and 50+ on/off cycles later, blower still perfect...
Old 05-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #44

To clarify... 50+ cycles beyond the original 30...