Old 11-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #1
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Propane stoves

Thinking of installing one of these:
http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/m...ner-gas-stove/

I was going to go diesel, but really don't want to deal with the flew through my saloon roof.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: West Coast
Against the advice of our boat's manufacturer and contrary to conventional wisdom, we commissioned our boat with a gas range and have no regrets.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Thinking of installing one of these:
Mediterranean Three Burner Gas Stove - Dickinson Marine | Dickinson Marine

I was going to go diesel, but really don't want to deal with the flew through my saloon roof.
Another good brand is Force 10. We had one installed within weeks of our buying the boat in 1998 to replace the original, failing Magic Chef. The Force 10 has given us flawless performance to date.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Another good brand is Force 10. We had one installed within weeks of our buying the boat in 1998 to replace the original, failing Magic Chef. The Force 10 has given us flawless performance to date.
We agree, our Force 10 - 4 burner has been great!...
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Another Force 10.

I plumbed it so there was only one hose connection inside the boat. Feel fairly comfortable w that. Wife Christine loves the stove. One should resist the temptation to use the oven handle moving around in the boat as it easily flips down and one may get dumped on the salon floor .. fast. Only problem we've had is the little battery holder corroded to the point of being disfunctional. I need to fix that. Would buy again definitely.

Dave go look at them at Sure Marine jut east of the govmt locks in Ballard.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:55 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Can you fit a residential unit? Even high end units are half the price of the marine versions. Very nice stainless RV stoves are priced a half to a quarter the marine versions and are very small also.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:11 PM   #7
Guru

Eric, we looked at a Force 10 today and it appeared there is a safety catch now so that won't happen.

I will go to Sure Marine this week, I need a new water heater.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:19 PM   #8

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Model: Willard 47' Dover Trawler
I have a Force 10 four burner and I would really like to yank it out and replace it with that Dickinson three burner stove. The Force 10 has absolutely anemic burners and they are so closely spaced that only three of them are usable anyway. Just look at the Force 10 output (one 8200 and three 3400 BTU's). Those three small burners are simmer burners at best. The Dickinson has output of 11,000 on the big burner and 7000 on the other two). The only dumb thing about it is that the big burner is in the back and not in the front.

I have also found the Force 10 ignition system to be picky and rather constantly in the need of maintenance. The oven takes forever to heat up and its thermostat is far from accurate. If anyone wants a nice used one, I will make you a deal <g>.
SteveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #9
Guru

Steve, I noticed that about the big burner at the back. You'd think with all the experience these folks have.....?

Mako, I can't fit a house unit, the RV units I'm seeing don't look very robust either.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:50 AM   #10
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
WE have a household stove/cooktop and would not have anything else. I fancy myself a pretty good cook and will not cook on electric. Our propane locker holds 2 20lb tanks and is on the bridge deck. We have had no problems whatever.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:09 AM   #11
Scraping Paint

Our Force 10 is a three-burner and the burners put out all kinds of heat. As do the oven and broiler. It was my wife's favorite thing to cook on until we plumbed our kirchen at home for gas and installed a dual fuel range in place of the original electric range. We don't inow anything about Force 10's four-burner units.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:48 AM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Have the Force 10, 3 burner cooktop for 2 years and very happy.

Igniter no issues and no issues with lack of btus...then again cooking for 2 to 4 with smaller amounts of food than homestyle.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:55 AM   #13
FF
Guru

IF you are going to install a real marine range , take the extra effort to install it with its gimbol system working.

If the range is lined up with the hull, half the time a pot departing will scald the hull, half the time the cook.

Purchase the unit with the fiddle rails and pot holders , even if the range has a better location thwart ships on a bulkhead .

Scalding is FOREVER!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:30 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
IF you are going to install a real marine range , take the extra effort to install it with its gimbol system working.

If the range is lined up with the hull, half the time a pot departing will scald the hull, half the time the cook.

Purchase the unit with the fiddle rails and pot holders , even if the range has a better location thwart ships on a bulkhead .

Scalding is FOREVER!
I've been considering that and agree, my "good old boat" does have a bit of roll at times (albeit, a slow roll)
Old 11-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
You can't beat the quality of the Dickinson. Force ten comes close. RV units nowhere near. Household down with RV quality.
I have a Force 10 propane 2 burner drop in cooktop, now almost 20 yrs old and I am very happy with it. I also have a SigMar (now Dickinson) Diesel stove, now 21 yrs old, and am very happy with it.
In a previous boat I had RV propane stove, that was near the end of its life after 10 years, lots of inside bits made of unprotected steel, lots of rust.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #16

Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
I have a Force 10 four burner and I would really like to yank it out and replace it with that Dickinson three burner stove. The Force 10 has absolutely anemic burners and they are so closely spaced that only three of them are usable anyway. Just look at the Force 10 output (one 8200 and three 3400 BTU's). Those three small burners are simmer burners at best. The Dickinson has output of 11,000 on the big burner and 7000 on the other two). The only dumb thing about it is that the big burner is in the back and not in the front.

I have also found the Force 10 ignition system to be picky and rather constantly in the need of maintenance. The oven takes forever to heat up and its thermostat is far from accurate. If anyone wants a nice used one, I will make you a deal <g>.
I couldn't agree more. I have a circa 2007 4 burner Force 10 and hate it. The surface area isn't big enough for four pots/pans, three of the burners are incredibly weak, the oven takes forever to preheat, and the ceramic broiler has broken several times.

On the other hand, Sure Marine has been helpful. They drilled out the orifice for the oven burner so it now heats a bit better. And they replaced one of the failed broiler elements without any hassle or cost.

No experience with Dickinson, but I wouldn't buy another Force 10.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #17
Guru

City: Here
20 years with Force 10 and I'm very pleased with the two I have owned. Lots of heat, oven no problem. the only compliant I have is that the bars that you place your pots on do not support very small pots due to the way they angle the bars around the burners.

If you are installing it yourself, this may help Safe Propane Installations on Boats
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #18

Somewhat like politics these days, facts don't seem to matter. A BTU is a measure that is directly related to the amount of time it will take you to boil a pot of water. Therefore, as long as the burner is capable of also putting out low heat for simmering, more BTU's are definitely better than fewer. So, statements to the effect that my wife loves the thing do not really trump measurements of the energy output of a stove.

So, unless you prefer a stove that will take longer to boil the water for your morning tea or coffee, you should pick one with higher BTU output over one with less.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

Good point Steve. While I don't know the BTU output of the Force 10 three-burner range we put in our boat back in 1998 we did time how long it took to boil water for the coffee maker and it was about the same time it took friends with gas ranges in their homes to do the same thing back then.

We have not timed our Force 10 against the new Electrolux dual-fuel range we recently installed in our kitchen at home. But regardless we have never experienced the slow heating others here have talked about and guests who've made coffee or done other cooking on it when they were on the boat have never remarked that it was slow to heat things up.

The people on this thread who experience slow heating on a Force 10 seem to have be mostly talking about the four-burner model and we've had no experience with that one. We bought the model we got largely on the recommendation of the large Grand Banks charter fleet operator in our harbor who at the time told us that the three-burner Force 10 was stove most preferred by them and the folks who owned the boats in their fleet.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #20

Just for the record, the three burner Force 10 is identical in output to the four burner one except that one small burner is not there (one 8200 plus two 3200). I think it is a preferable model, not because its output is any greater, but because three burners are really all that can be fit in that area. I never use the smaller front burner on my four burner range, because there is simply no room to put a pot there if you are using the larger burner.