Coolant Drain on Perkins 6.354M

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

37Pacific

Vessel Name
Point Andreas
Vessel Make
Pacific Trawler 37
I am trying to locate the drain plug for the coolant/antifreeze on a Perkins 6.354M. build date was about 1976. we can drain using the coolant line going to the heater in the fwd berth but we are thinking that will not get all of the coolant from the block. thank you for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a 1986 Jefferson with Perkins and I found the drain for the block to be over the starter on the starboard side of the block.. Had a rusted fitting which I replaced with a brass pipe with a valve and hose barb so I can drain with a hose into a bucket. Hope that helps.

There are normally a few places the coolant passages are tapped and plugged or with a valve. Look for plugs or drain cocks in the block down lower. You can pull any of them to see if it's coolant, worse case is it might be an oil passage in which case you might loose a few drops before you put it back in.

Perkins 6.354 coolant purge with manicooler

I am wondering if there is any issue with draining and replacing coolant with the manicooler.
Any voids or blind sections that need special purging?

Thanks!

I serviced both my 6.354st Perkins manicoolers a couple years ago. Block and Manicooler should drain with the plug near the starter as noted by others.

Thanks Duvie
Been out awhile here.

Restart old:

How do you keep from getting coolent on your starter?

Does anyone know the bolt size of the drain so I can buy a fitting with valve?
I'd like to refresh coolent every 2 or 3 years.

I have a 1978 6.354M. The drain plug is on the lower left side near the rear of the block buried in an awkward place behind the oil cooler. It has a 1/4” NPT plug. I took out the plug and replaced it with a 1/4” NPT threaded petcock to make it easier to drain the anti-freeze. I push the small tube of a hand-pump vacuum extractor into the petcock, get the vacuum going with the hand pump and open the petcock. The tube is not a perfect fit so I have to keep pumping but it goes quickly.

Thanks! I've ordered two 1/4" npt valves from Amazon, and hose barbs. How many gallons does she hold? My engine is an '86.

My engine takes 21 litres or about 5.5 gal. The amount will vary slight depending on the length of hose to your hot water tank, cabin heater if you have one and size and location of your coolant header tank/heat exchanger. I’ve also installed a small coolant overflow tank because I was always topping up the header tank.

Glad to help. I just finished draining and flushing about a week ago. I switched from green to purple coolant so had to flush three times. Was not complicated but a bit of a pain. I also installed a block heater which so far has been doing a good job.

I got about 5 gals out, checked the intercooler heat exchanger - dry.

Installed 1⅜ freeze plug engine block heater zero start 3100027 (35mm) also. 1987 perkins T6-354M.

Flushed 3X, without running.

Flushing with water showed me I needed to replace the O-ring with an ever so slightly thicker O-ring for a proper seal. My Harbor Freight O-ring kit to the rescue again.

Back
Top Bottom