Old 01-18-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Convince DW that Propane is OK or Give Up?

Buying a boat with a Princess propane stove/oven. DW is afraid of propane and wants me to rip it out and install new Force 10 electric stove/oven.

Bottom line is that she won't use either one. She will use electric skillet or toaster oven and I will grill outside.

She is an Internet junky and has found 10 million blogs against propane and one post for it.

I'm not afraid but if Momma ain't happy no one is. What to do? Getting a new DW is more expensive than new stove/oven.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I am on my fourth boat with a propane stove/oven. I'd rather have it then have to run the generator a lot more often.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Aren't many fires on boats involve electricity rather than propane?
Old 01-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
If neither of you are going to use a stove/oven then remove it and use the space for something else!

But a properly installed propane system is far preferable to electric stove/oven in my view. That means a proper cylinder enclosure, solenoid cutoff at the cylinder, a detector next to the oven and one at a low point in the sleeping cabin, and a continuous hose run from solenoid to appliance (no joins whatsoever). A used boat may not have these attributes, but they can be readily fixed.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Having a propane stove on the boat doesn't obligate you to hook a tank to it. Have an electric stove on my boat that I was adamant about replacing with propane. Have used it twice so far. It's moved down and off the priority list. Best answer is buy the boat, and tell DW that the two of you will evaluate whether you truly need a stove on the boat or not.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 007. Oh dear. What will it take to convince Momma that it's safe? Maybe an official USCG inspection? Written certification by AYBC "expert"?

Our current boat came with a 3 burner electric stove and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Installed 3 burner Princess propane. Previous vessel came with propane. No problems with either one.

Regarding the bottom line...IF she isn't going to use a stove at all, leave the propane one in place and don't hook any bottles up to it.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:39 PM   #7
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Does your wife like the boat?

Are you sure?

The problem may be a propane stove objection is the first of many objections awaiting their turn...

If it really is a propane phobia rip the damn thing out and stick an electric in its place. In fact, splurge and buy an induction unit.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Insurers here want a propane system certification by a qualified fitter. As RTF suggests, the certificate may help. But on what you wrote, I doubt it.
My propane experience is positive too. And who wants to fire up the genset for coffee or tea(unless you have a mains espresso machine like us, or lots of battery to feed an inverter), or run it for hours to do a roast.
As well as the bottle valves and a selector for the one of 2 bottles in use,we have a valve in the cabin headliner s that after cooking the supply can be turned off without visiting the FB, though the nervous will do that too.
Modern stoves have a flame out/propane off safety valves. Plenty of reasons it is not a problem but, I sense that may not be enough.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
Buying a boat with a Princess propane stove/oven. DW is afraid of propane and wants me to rip it out and install new Force 10 electric stove/oven.

Bottom line is that she won't use either one. She will use electric skillet or toaster oven and I will grill outside.

She is an Internet junky and has found 10 million blogs against propane and one post for it.

I'm not afraid but if Momma ain't happy no one is. What to do? Getting a new DW is more expensive than new stove/oven.
Wifey B: Is that thing not out yet?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Does your wife like the boat?

Are you sure?

The problem may be a propane stove objection is the first of many objections awaiting their turn...

If it really is a propane phobia rip the damn thing out and stick an electric in its place. In fact, splurge and buy an induction unit.
Wifey B: We've read all that too, but we still chose no propane. Many years on the lake of being told it was bad. Told about fires and explosions. Logic loses out to emotion.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:57 PM   #11
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I love making espresso early in the am on the super quiet propane stove. I use this:

Name:  IMG_1484801859.295954.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  20.1 KB
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:34 PM   #12

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Name: Ka Hale Kai
Vessel Model: 52' Cheoy Lee
We have a princess stove/oven and love it. It was actually a selling feature with my wife. We run an entire season - including using the oven for baking - on a single propane bottle.
As per previous posters, with remote shutoff, proper installation, etc you should be totally fine.
I have been on boats that need to run the genset to make a cup of coffee - I would never want that!
If it is in and properly installed I suggest keeping and using it for a season - then see if you want the work and expense of changing it.
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:36 AM   #13
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
While I have no problem with propane on a boat, you might save yourself a bunch of trouble by installing an Origo alcohol stove. It is very safe and it doesn't require running the generator.

Kenyon makes a combination electric / alcohol stove if you want both.

My wife actually likes our Origo.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:07 AM   #14
Memorial Member

City: Lafayette,LA
Vessel Name: Evangeline
Vessel Model: 35" Flybridge Sedan Senator
God is great, beer is good and people are crazey.
All said, Propane is the only way to cook.
CWO KPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:27 AM   #15
Memorial Member

City: Lafayette,LA
Vessel Name: Evangeline
Vessel Model: 35" Flybridge Sedan Senator
NO electiectiic
CWO KPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:42 AM   #16
Guru

Wifey B: I like my bacon electrifried.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:05 AM   #17
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Origo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
While I have no problem with propane on a boat, you might save yourself a bunch of trouble by installing an Origo alcohol stove. It is very safe and it doesn't require running the generator.

Kenyon makes a combination electric / alcohol stove if you want both.

My wife actually likes our Origo.
Plus 2 on the Origo
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:35 AM   #18
Guru

City: Miami
Use the propane tank with a proper regulator to fuel a grill outside and buy an induction burner that will run off your inverter for meals inside.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:43 AM   #19
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Fear is a funny thing.

No amount of convincing and often no amount of counselling changes a thing.

There are plenty here that can spout off a million boats or blogs that use propane but I doubt it would help.

If my boat doesn't have an issue with propane, why write about it? If it does, like everyone else thesevdays, they have to become a crusader against it, like they actually know something the rest of us don't.

More boats sink every year and people drown than people blowing up...yeah...yeah I understand statistics to and it's phoney baloney, but no more than an irrational fear of propane.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:12 AM   #20
CMS

City: Casco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post

The stats simply don't back up her fears... If you really want to scare her tell her that 55% of all boat fires are electrical in nature then have her go hunt for the numerous unsafe areas of the installed AC & DC systems, which 99.5% of boats have..........

A safely installed propane system, using equipment designed for a marine installation, and done to ABYC standards, is extremely safe. In every single case I have been made aware of, where propane was involved (there are quite few actually), the system did not meet the minimum safety standards. If someone can point me to a vessel where propane caused a fire, and the system was installed to ABYC standards, PLEASE DO....

The last one I was involved in was a large Hatteras where a clamp-on propane heater was mounted to a 20 pound tank and being used in the saloon, on shag carpet..... NOTHING about this met the safety standards. The boat was burned to the waterline when the heater tipped over. The fault of propane? NOPE, not at all, but that is what the "stats" will show....
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote